Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

WCWS so far

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Tue May 29, 2012 9:58 am

MTR wrote:
Kerplunk! wrote:Got it, we can't return the Batter Runner (BR) like we can the Runners (R). My trusty rule book states "NOTE-Section 7J-L: When runners are called out for interference, the batter-runner is awarded first base. EXCEPTION: If the interference prevents the fielder from catching a routine fly ball, fair or foul, with ordinary effort the batter is also out." Ref: (2011 ASA Umpires Manual p93 Rule 8, Section 7L)

By ASA rule Texas F6 should have purposely dropped the routine fly ball to have the (BR) called out also. Instead F6 caught the ball and the BR gets awarded 1st base?

HHHMMMmmmmmmm I are confuzed again. Any thoughts to help me understand this quirk in the ASA rules would be appreciated. I asume the NCAA rules don't have this note?

ASA & NCAA are not the same.

Correcting myself. The rules are the same, just in the NCAA book, the exception isn't noted until 10 pages after the rule which notes the play as interference.

So, yes, the BR probably should have been declared out, but that is still an umpire's judgment call as to the "routine play" level of the pop-up.
MTR

by AlwaysImprove » Tue May 29, 2012 11:42 am

umplarry wrote:
Kerplunk! wrote:Texas vs Oregon 5/26/12, strike zone appeared to be belly button high and 1/2 ball over the plate - Amazing, many batters still did not swing!

How could you tell where the corners were, the camera shot was coming from left center field, not straight away?

Same as I do when watching a baseball game. Watch the pitch, see how it goes to the mitt. Most of the times camera's only have slight angles. It seems pretty apparent where the pitch went.

Baseball used the camera angle argument in the 60's, but gave up on it.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Kerplunk! » Tue May 29, 2012 1:47 pm

umplarry wrote:
Kerplunk! wrote:Texas vs Oregon 5/26/12, strike zone appeared to be belly button high and 1/2 ball over the plate - Amazing, many batters still did not swing!

How could you tell where the corners were, the camera shot was coming from left center field, not straight away?

If you take the Umpires position and apply this formula P=8*v+17/t-7/y
Where v=Humidity, t=Ball drag & y= why am I wasting my time, you will get your answer.
:lol:
Kerplunk!

by jonriv » Tue May 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Camera angles do play a part, but certainly not on consistency. Every ump has their own strike zone- that is the human element of the game-it has always been that way. Pitchers and batters need to adjust. Umpires, for their part need to be consistent with their calls. Call it the same way every time.
jonriv

by jonriv » Tue May 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
jonriv wrote:Camera angles do play a part, but certainly not on consistency. Every ump has their own strike zone- that is the human element of the game-it has always been that way. Pitchers and batters need to adjust. Umpires, for their part need to be consistent with their calls. Call it the same way every time.

It aint that way in baseball anymore. When they started coming down on the "cowboy blues" with their own zone all those shenanigans stopped.

To some extent-and when they started to check them with that electronic system(forgot what it is called)- but there still is variation among umpires in baseball- the players adjust. I think a lot of the variation also ended with the end of the"balloon" chest protector

Hard to compare a professional sports official with those at the college level. With baseball umps-that's their profession- college are still just part-timers
jonriv

by Anti-Clone » Tue May 29, 2012 5:58 pm

When a runner interferes on a fly ball, both the runner and the batter-runner is out. That is as clear as can be in both ASA and NCAA.
Anti-Clone

by MTR » Tue May 29, 2012 6:21 pm

Spazsdad wrote:It aint that way in baseball anymore. When they started coming down on the "cowboy blues" with their own zone all those shenanigans stopped.

Bull! All the softball whiners have been complaining about for years was not calling the strike zone by the book. However, they want to continually point to baseball where they haven' called a book strike zone for 50 years.

Talk about consistency :lol:
MTR

by freetacos » Tue May 29, 2012 6:31 pm

mtr

If you think so negatively about the softball whiners ( coaches and parents ) that pay you.....why don't you just quit dude?

no ft for you butthead

ft
freetacos

by Iluvblue » Wed May 30, 2012 8:40 am

Camera angles do play a part, but certainly not on consistency. Every ump has their own strike zone- that is the human element of the game-it has always been that way. Pitchers and batters need to adjust. Umpires, for their part need to be consistent with their calls. Call it the same way every time.

So now they have had some of the overhead cameras, and we can clearly see balls that are in the batters box being called strikes. No way for batters to adjust to that crap. The Cal umpire did a great job for the first few innings and Henderson was pissed she was getting these strikes that were clearly off the plate. Then in 4th inning or so, he starts calling that crap strikes, and guess what, she sits down something like 14 in a row with 9 Ks. I wonder why?
Iluvblue

by MTR » Wed May 30, 2012 9:35 am

freetacos wrote:mtr

If you think so negatively about the softball whiners ( coaches and parents ) that pay you.....why don't you just quit dude?

no ft for you butthead

ft

Because there are that many more that are there to play the game that are actualy smart enough to understand it and the rules.

BTW, SFB, been doing this probably longer than you've been alive and it isn't for the kids and it isn't for the parents and it certainly isn't for dog-meat filled taco.
MTR

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner