Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Hawaii vs. ND State -- Should run have counted?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Fredegar » Mon May 21, 2012 9:54 am

[Forgive the repost, which I posted to the College Softball board. Wanted an umpire's opinion on it, so reposting here.]

This occurred this weekend in the Hawaii / ND State game, in the Tuscon regional:
ND State batting. 2 outs, 2 on. R1 at second. R2 at first.
Ground ball directly towards F4. As she's fielding it in the baseline, R2 crashes into her about 10 feet before reaching 2nd base. Both F4 and R2 fall down. Umpire makes the "safe" signal indicating no Int, presumably because in his judgment, the ball reached the fielder before the collision occurred. In the confusion, F6 picks up the loose ball, and tags R2 before she could reach 2nd base. Umpire calls her out. During that time, R1 is racing around and clearly scores BEFORE F6 applied the tag.

Hawaii Coach Coolen argues the non-INT call and gets tossed. The 3rd out was made at 2B. Players leave the field. But they allowed the run to score because it occured before the 3rd out. QUESTION: Because it's a force situation at 2nd base, should the run have counted?

I don't think so. I think Coach Coolen should have argued against the run scoring instead of getting tossed for arguing a judgement INT call. Thoughts?
Fredegar

by Comp » Mon May 21, 2012 10:28 am

Not sure what the coach was arguing, but I believe he got tossed long before he even realized they had scored the run. He was hot about the non interference call.

No, the run should not have scored. The runner was put out before safely reaching the base she was forced to, and no run can score when the 3rd out of an inning is the result of a force.
Comp

by lady blue » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:02 pm

I honestly thought I was the only one who caught that. I do ASA ball but no college for years.. I sent the question to a college umpoire to see if there was a different rule, he said no. I think the coach getting tossed kept anyone from realizing the runner should not have scored.
lady blue

by MTR » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:41 pm

lady blue wrote:I honestly thought I was the only one who caught that. I do ASA ball but no college for years.. I sent the question to a college umpoire to see if there was a different rule, he said no. I think the coach getting tossed kept anyone from realizing the runner should not have scored.

The BU stated he believed the runner had actually touched 2b and then fell off base prior to the tag.

Replay shows us the runner never touched the base, so in reality, the run should not have scored, but based upon what the umpire believed he saw, the answer would be yes.
MTR

by Fredegar » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:26 pm

MTR wrote:The BU stated he believed the runner had actually touched 2b and then fell off base prior to the tag.

No way the BU really believes that -- he's just saying that so there's a logical explanation for the screwup during a Regionals game. The collision happened well before the base, and the runner never got close.
Fredegar

Return to The Umpire Corner