Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Definition of a bunt/slap

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Fuddrules » Tue May 22, 2012 7:23 am

Is there anywhere written (or even unwritten consensus) that anytime the hands of the batter are split, that it’s considered a bunt, not a slap?
Fuddrules

by Comp » Tue May 22, 2012 7:31 am

Position of the hands have nothing to do with if it is a bunt or a slap. There was a college team a few years back where the coach had the whole team batting with split hands, and they were all swinging away. Granted, it would be difficul to swing with hands on either end of the bat like bunting used to be taught, but with the way many batters bunt these days it would be very easy to still swing at the ball.

It comes down to did the batter swing at the ball, or did they attempt to bunt the ball. The ASA definition of a bunt, A pitched ball that is intentionally tapped with the bat, slowly, within the infield.
Comp

by Fuddrules » Tue May 22, 2012 9:05 am

Thanks Comp,

I heard that from an BU this weekend (that split hands is considered a bunt). Had never heard or read that anywhere – that’s why I also asked about unwritten rules. It surprised me because this guy has obviously umpired for a while. He was a competent umpire.

The base coached questioned the BU on the bunt /slap attempt that PU ruled a bunt. Why he questioned the BU - don’t know, just venting a little I guess but it was a bunt so PU got it correct – and the response back from BU to the base coach was, “Her hands where split coach, anytime the hands are split, it’s a bunt.” It went just a little south after that answer with the BU eventually saying to the base coach, “You’re restricted to the dugout, I already told you my answer.” LOL.

I just dawned on me now, with all the softball going on this weekend, I wonder if this guy was primarily a baseball umpire? He knew what he was doing (from an umpire perspective) but must have been told to (or does) use the hands as some “key” to look for during a bunt/slap attempt.
Fuddrules

by Comp » Tue May 22, 2012 9:11 am

I had the exact opposite argument a couple of weeks ago with a coach. Lefty batter holding bat just like she was swinging at the knob of the bat, but would just stick it straight out and then walk through the batters box dragging the bat along with her. She did it 3 times in a row and the ball just rolled foul off to the side of the batters box. I called her out on the bunt attempt with 2 strikes and here came the coach arguing it was a slap because her hands were together.
Comp

by hit4power » Tue May 22, 2012 10:45 am

The definition of a bunt in the rules speaks about tapping the ball - it doesnt talk at all about the position of the batter's hands. How the bat is moved (or not) determines a bunt vs a swing not how the bat is held
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Makina » Tue May 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Slappers are taught to hit the ball with a split grip (hands seperated) when they are trying to punch the ball. Basically a very controlled swing with little follow-thru to just put ball in play. This is also a ploy to get the defense to crash thinking it is a bunt attempt as defenders are taught to watch the hands for a bunt attempt.

This is not the definition of a bunt and pretty much the experienced ASA umpires have seen tons of slappers and will not call it a bunt. This umpire had probably rarely done softball and/or seen slappers.

I also had an umpire call my daughter out (rec. ball) and he told me she seperated her hands for the reason as to why he called her out on what I call a punch attempt/foul ball with 2 strikes, which was an incorrect explanation.
Makina

by fastpitchforever » Wed May 23, 2012 3:33 pm

What about the difference in batter movement, ie bunters usually stand with their feet fixed and a slapper will be moving towards the pitcher. Can that be used to make the call on a foul ball with 2 strikes? Or are you just restricted to the "tapping" judgement?
fastpitchforever
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Wed May 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Again, batters position or movement in the box is not an indicator. Batters can square to bunt and chop the ball, slappers can run through the box and bunt it. The determining factor is, in the umpires judgement was the batter swinging or attempting to bunt the ball.
Comp

Return to The Umpire Corner