Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Police Officer/Coach

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by vcblue » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Would you let a police officer coach in full uniform (Gun and Taser on belt)? Had this happen this year. I let it go, but was put on the spot when he did not like/understand a call. Our association pres. requested that he change the next time, but he was on duty (lunch?) so I don't think he can. I would like to hear from you especially if you are an officer.
vcblue

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:01 pm

USA or Canada ? Travel, HS or REC ? Many years ago ( 35 - 40 ? ) my Cousin dated a Cop ... Not sure exactly what type ... But State Trooper or Detective I believe in NY ... Whatever org. it was, I believe he said he was supposed to have his service weapon with him at ALL times, on duty or not ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by freetacos » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:03 pm

I totally support our police officers. With that said I absolutely don't think his uniform, badge, gun or tazer belong on the field. If he can't change clothes then he can sit in the stands with everyone else. I think it was very stupid thinking on the cops part, too many bad scenarios could play out. The very last thing that you think could happen might very well be the exact thing that happens next.

Lucky for everyone that I only had 2 cents and now I'm broke. :lol:

ft
freetacos

by vcblue » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:21 pm

It was rec league ball ASA 10u. He was just being a father. I had no problem with it until he got upset that I called a rule one way, when "just last week" anothe blue called it a different way. I discussed the play professionaly as i do with all coaches, but had to end it and warn him. I guess I could have pulled out the coach uniform rule, but I respect that he is an officer and a dad that coaches his daughters team. I think the way I handled it was correct by just letting my assoc. pres. handle it.
vcblue

by fastpitchdad05 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:11 pm

I think that what we're all missing on this one is that I'm about 100% sure his Commanding Officer would not have allowed this. This has got to be against department policy I would think.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:03 pm

vcblue wrote:Would you let a police officer coach in full uniform (Gun and Taser on belt)? Had this happen this year. I let it go, but was put on the spot when he did not like/understand a call. Our association pres. requested that he change the next time, but he was on duty (lunch?) so I don't think he can. I would like to hear from you especially if you are an officer.

Not a shot he would be on the field in any uniform other than the team's. Don't care if he is on duty or not. He has his rules, softball has their rules. And since a gun and taser are not permitted, by rule, in the coach's box, I guess he cannot be there ;)
MTR

by Blind Squirrel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:25 pm

MTR wrote:
vcblue wrote:Would you let a police officer coach in full uniform (Gun and Taser on belt)? Had this happen this year. I let it go, but was put on the spot when he did not like/understand a call. Our association pres. requested that he change the next time, but he was on duty (lunch?) so I don't think he can. I would like to hear from you especially if you are an officer.

Not a shot he would be on the field in any uniform other than the team's. Don't care if he is on duty or not. He has his rules, softball has their rules. And since a gun and taser are not permitted, by rule, in the coach's box, I guess he cannot be there ;)

A coach should be allowed to motivate his players however he/she wants to.

Squirrel De La Dumas
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:35 pm

MTR wrote:

Firefighter/ EMT in a rural community ... Pager on his belt, yes or no ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by UmpSteve » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:14 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:

Firefighter/ EMT in a rural community ... Pager on his belt, yes or no ?

Don't out-think it. The rule you are referencing exists to keep coaches from receiving illegal communications to cheat their opponents. In a National Championship, no; in a community where everyone knows his position, leave it alone. I have had a coach tell me his wife was due any time, ok if, and I stopped him with "of course".

A far cry from a gun and taser. Unless you want to allow the firefighter to carry his axe, too.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by swells9232 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:17 pm

That was absolutely wrong. First of all, he should be more discreet in his occupation and not allow himself to be open to violation of league rules and department policy. Second, he is a coach and that is where his authority ends on the field. Being in uniform confuses the lines of authority between himself, the umpire, players and the parents on both sides. Nothing good could come from it.
swells9232

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner