Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

HBP - No award

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by hit4power » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Playing ASA...

RH batter batting, pitch coming at her. She twists back towards catcher and tries to duck. Ball hits her square in the back. PU declares dead ball, but does not award 1B saying she turned into the pitch. He puts her back at bat, calls a ball, and signals for next pitch. After much discussion, call stands with PU insisting that by twisting (rather than just ducking or jumping or something else) she turned into the pitch despite the fact, which he agreed with, that the ball was no where near the plate. I realize that there is an HTBT component here, but curious if any of you blues have ever made this call or under what circumstances would you make a "dead ball - ball" call?
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tcannizzo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Maybe if it was a 12 mph change up, but otherwise, no.
I would even award 1B to Chubby Checker for doing the Twist.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by jonriv » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:21 pm

tcannizzo wrote:Maybe if it was a 12 mph change up, but otherwise, no.
I would even award 1B to Chubby Checker for doing the Twist.

What about the "Peppermint Twist"
jonriv

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:06 pm

but curious if any of you blues have ever made this call?

I have seen this a lot.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:13 pm

If I judge the batter has purposely moved into the path of the ball, they get a bruise and a ball added to their count.
Comp

by BearFlagFan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:28 am

By rule, his ruling is correct since his judgment was she did not try to get out of the way of the ball. Dead ball, ball.

In a rec tournament final, I had a batter "twist" into the ball, but she twisted right into the strike zone - she didn't need to move but did and she was hit in the strike zone, and it was the 3rd strike. She didn't do it on purpose. Girl goes down in a crying heap. Coach, who doesn't understand what happens to an injured player with lineups (his whole experience was with batting around), asks if he "has" to use a substitute for an injured player. I look at him and say "Yes, normally, but I'm sorry to tell you this coach, but she got hit in the strike zone. It's dead ball strike 3, she's out." Pandemonium ensues, lots of yelling. I end up ejecting head coach, assistant coach (who was her dad) and two fans. Protest by other assistant. UIC upholds my ruling, extra tourney officials are brought in to sit in stands to restore order. Afterward, UIC says "By rule, you made the right ruling. But common sense says you should have just put her on base since they were already losing by 5 runs. In a HBP situation, unless you really know she was trying to get hit, just give her the base." Since then there's been a few times I have not given a player 1B on an HPB, but in every case she either didn't move or moved just slightly to get into the way of the ball, and was old enough to know better.
BearFlagFan

by MTR » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:57 am

BearFlagFan wrote:Afterward, UIC says "By rule, you made the right ruling. But common sense says you should have just put her on base since they were already losing by 5 runs. In a HBP situation, unless you really know she was trying to get hit, just give her the base."

What if they were only losing by 3 runs? Or 1 run? Or not losing at all! The "in the strike zone" HBPs are the easiest for the PU to determine since that area is their focus on the pitch. Outside the strike zone, sure you give the batter the benefit of any doubt. But in the zone? I think you got it right and I'm not just talking by "by the book".

The umpire doesn't make the rules, only enforces those which the teams agreed to use.
MTR

by HugoTafurst » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:38 am

BearFlagFan wrote:By rule, his ruling is correct since his judgment was she did not try to get out of the way of the ball. Dead ball, ball.

In a rec tournament final, I had a batter "twist" into the ball, but she twisted right into the strike zone - she didn't need to move but did and she was hit in the strike zone, and it was the 3rd strike. She didn't do it on purpose. Girl goes down in a crying heap. Coach, who doesn't understand what happens to an injured player with lineups (his whole experience was with batting around), asks if he "has" to use a substitute for an injured player. I look at him and say "Yes, normally, but I'm sorry to tell you this coach, but she got hit in the strike zone. It's dead ball strike 3, she's out." Pandemonium ensues, lots of yelling. I end up ejecting head coach, assistant coach (who was her dad) and two fans. Protest by other assistant. UIC upholds my ruling, extra tourney officials are brought in to sit in stands to restore order. Afterward, UIC says "By rule, you made the right ruling. But common sense says you should have just put her on base since they were already losing by 5 runs. In a HBP situation, unless you really know she was trying to get hit, just give her the base." Since then there's been a few times I have not given a player 1B on an HPB, but in every case she either didn't move or moved just slightly to get into the way of the ball, and was old enough to know better.

I would be :oops: :oops: if I had to work for that UIC.
HugoTafurst

Return to The Umpire Corner