Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Triple Crown Rules

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by NumeroUno » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:54 am

So I was looking at the Triple Crown web site

DP/Flex

EP/EH

You can have 11 in the game and bat 10. Can you explain how this all works and how you can rotate players in and out of these spots
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by UmpSteve » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:35 am

This came up this year at Fireworks, that they added this player without notice to the umpire staff or adequate explanation to coaches or umpires. Here's how it was addressed (mostly; I think there were varying interpretations during the week).

I am assuming you grasp the basics of DP/FLEX. That doesn't change with adding another player to the lineup, those two positions are the Siamese Twins, composing one whole player, and linked to each other. To play the other part, they must replace the other half player, and become the whole player, cannot ever be just the other half. The only exception to that description is that the DP can still play defense for someone else in the batting order, effectively adding an extra defender to field 9 from 10 (except that the FLEX must be one of the 9, or has left the game, and you are playing with that remaining 9!!).

An EP, meaning extra player, bats in the lineup where listed, and is available to sub on defense freely (for anyone but the FLEX, who is still linked ONLY to the DP). So now you have (effectively) 11 possible defensive players to field 9 defensively (except the FLEX must be one of the 9, still).

An EH, meaning extra hitter, bats and runs (for herself) in the lineup ONLY. It is an offensive only designation, who is ineligible to play defense at any time after being listed that way in the lineup.

If anyone ever intends for an additional player added to a lineup to be able to play both offense and defense, then that needs to be an EP, not an EH.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fredegar » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 am

It's always been explained that the terms EP and EH are the same, and they are used as UmpSteve describes the EP. That is, an extra batter who can freely substitute on defense. (Yes, if a Flex/DP is also used, the Flex must always be in the field).

If there really is a difference between EP and EH, as UmpSteve describes, sounds like you should just use the EP term which gives the added flexibility of playing defense. No reason at all to arbitrarily limit yourself by calling it an EH. Which is why, for practical purposes, the terms are treated the same and are typically used interchangeably.
Fredegar

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:35 am

Fredegar wrote:It's always been explained that the terms EP and EH are the same, and they are used as UmpSteve describes the EP. That is, an extra batter who can freely substitute on defense. (Yes, if a Flex/DP is also used, the Flex must always be in the field).

If there really is a difference between EP and EH, as UmpSteve describes, sounds like you should just use the EP term which gives the added flexibility of playing defense. No reason at all to arbitrarily limit yourself by calling it an EH. Which is why, for practical purposes, the terms are treated the same and are typically used interchangeably.

Unless she was just a good stick and a liability on defense ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by ontheblack » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:16 am

Can I sub/replace for the EP during a game?
ontheblack

by Clean_up » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:27 am

ontheblack wrote:Can I sub/replace for the EP during a game?

Yes, I believe you can sub them just like any other player in the line-up with I believe the same "re-entry" rules as everyone else.
Clean_up

by Makina » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:56 pm

Yes, that is correct. EP for Triple Crown can be subbed for just like any player in the batting order and can play any position for Defense or not play defense.
Makina

by ajaywill » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:47 pm

This provision in the TCS rules has been one of my gripes with them for a long time.

At least here locally, the TCS rules state that the teams can use the DP/FLEX and the EP at the same time with any nine players on defense (emphasis mine).

My question has always been: What if the DP and the FLEX players are on the bench when that team is on defense. The response I have always received was: Don't worry about it, nobody is going to do that.
ajaywill

Return to The Umpire Corner