Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Batter Interference

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by playball13 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:44 am

R1 on 3rd, no outs.
RH batter hits ball foul off end of bat, ball has a heavy spin and comes back fair before 1B and is picked up in fair territory by F3. F3 throws ball to F2 as R1 is trying to score. F2 catches ball in front of HP and turns to tag R1 but slams into BR who never left the box.
Is this play BR out on INT and R1 back to 3B?
Or BR out on tag, R1 safe at home?
Or BR out on tag and R1 out on BR/Retired player INT?
Or BR out on INT and R1 also out on INT since R1 would have been out at HP and BR would easily be thrown out at 1B?
playball13

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Providing F2 touched BR & R1 with the ball or the ball in the glove, I have a double play.

HTBT- If INT on BR is ruled and it was an obvious attempt to prevent a DP, than BR & R1 would be out as well. If no INT was ruled then a tag would need to be made on R1 or she would need to be put out prior to reaching 1st & BR tagged or forced at the dish ...

* disclaimer - 8:20 on friday & 6 german beers
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:29 pm

playball13 wrote:R1 on 3rd, no outs.
RH batter hits ball foul off end of bat, ball has a heavy spin and comes back fair before 1B and is picked up in fair territory by F3. F3 throws ball to F2 as R1 is trying to score. F2 catches ball in front of HP and turns to tag R1 but slams into BR who never left the box.
Is this play BR out on INT and R1 back to 3B?
Or BR out on tag, R1 safe at home?
Or BR out on tag and R1 out on BR/Retired player INT?
Or BR out on INT and R1 also out on INT since R1 would have been out at HP and BR would easily be thrown out at 1B?

Don't know, you didn't note a tag. If so, the BR is out.

Otherwise, it is nothing. The BR is not required to run. If s/he wants to just stand there, so what?

There is no interference unless the umpire judges the BR did something to interfere with the play and according to what has been offered, no such act occurred.
MTR

by HugoTafurst » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:08 pm

I wasn't there, but sounds a lot like 8 - 2 - G would apply.
BR interferes with a play at home plate in an attempt to prevent an out at home plate.

You can argue the "attempt" part of this situation, send me the big bucks..
HugoTafurst

by MTR » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:03 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:I wasn't there, but sounds a lot like 8 - 2 - G would apply.
BR interferes with a play at home plate in an attempt to prevent an out at home plate.

What was the act of interference, standing still and letting the catcher run into her?
MTR

by bigsig » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:26 pm

In most rule sets there is a statement which goes something like "The batters box is NOT a sanctuary" which means the batter must move out of the way of a play at the plate. An exaggerated example would be a runner trying to steal home and sliding through the Batters legs. Even if the batter didn't move that would clearly be interference.
bigsig

by MTR » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:08 am

bigsig wrote:In most rule sets there is a statement which goes something like "The batters box is NOT a sanctuary" which means the batter must move out of the way of a play at the plate. An exaggerated example would be a runner trying to steal home and sliding through the Batters legs. Even if the batter didn't move that would clearly be interference.

That would be for a batter. This is not a batter, it is a batter-runner. The batter's box is irrelevant to this play. And again, where is the act of interference?
MTR

by HugoTafurst » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:53 am

MTR wrote:
HugoTafurst wrote:I wasn't there, but sounds a lot like 8 - 2 - G would apply.

What was the act of interference, standing still and letting the catcher run into her?

Like I said, that's why we get the big bucks, I might feel that choosing to stand in that spot was the offending act...
HugoTafurst

by MTR » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:49 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:Like I said, that's why we get the big bucks, I might feel that choosing to stand in that spot was the offending act...

You better save those big bucks, you may need them
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:21 pm

MTR wrote:
bigsig wrote:In most rule sets there is a statement which goes something like "The batters box is NOT a sanctuary" which means the batter must move out of the way of a play at the plate. An exaggerated example would be a runner trying to steal home and sliding through the Batters legs. Even if the batter didn't move that would clearly be interference.

That would be for a batter. This is not a batter, it is a batter-runner. The batter's box is irrelevant to this play. And again, where is the act of interference?

I'm still not getting your interpretation ... It's been said many times that INT shouldn't be called on a Batter, BR or Runner for merely doing what their supposed to be doing ... As in they just can't go poof and disappear ... In the OP this BR stayed in the batters box instead of running on a fair ball and was in the backstops way of making a play on R1 ... Is your interpretation that a BR has no responsibility to run on a fair batted ball ? Yes, the batters box has no bearing on this, but she was not advancing to first base.
EDIT: Cant find my ASA book ... but NFHS 8-2-7
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner