Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

No Batters Box ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by mr softball » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:21 am

boy i used to think this game was for the kids, but the way everyone is talking i wonder anymore
mr softball
Premium Member
Premium Member

by HugoTafurst » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:51 am

mr softball wrote:boy i used to think this game was for the kids, but the way everyone is talking i wonder anymore

And what's wrong with the kids learning how to play....

Here's something I just thought of off the top of my head :roll: :

This thread started with a parent asking what rule applied, and if the umpire should have drawn the line. Remembering this is the UMPIRE CORNER, the question was answered by umpires, noted what rule applied, and all those with substantial experience agreed that the umpire should NOT draw the lines.

Now, members that are NOT umpires choose to insult those with the proper answer that is the accepted industry rule/mechanic/procedure, and want to suggest that knowing the right thing, doing the right thing, and refusing to do the wrong thing is somehow a cause to disrespect that umpire, that doing so "soils the game".
HugoTafurst

by freetacos » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Mr Softball...I hate to burst your bubble but fastpitch quit being about the girls several years ago. People discovered they could make a buck off the game. It was like a light bulb going off in thier heads. Coaches said hell, I spend all this time teaching these girls maybe I could charge for some lessons. Guys that came out to ump because they liked the game realized hell, I can make a second income from this game. Someone seeing the rise in equipment cost said hell, I can make a living off this game. And on and on.

It just evolved. Nobodys fault, just human nature I suspect.

Hey it can still be fun!! :D :D

ft
freetacos

by MTR » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:48 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:MTR, Bret and UmpSteve (and maybe some others) eloquently expressed how I feel about the situation. No need for me to add anything.

And thanks for translating GAGA - I know many of those guys...

I would point out that there can be a difference between "when in Rome" and GAGA

I know about "when in Rome". I've worked enough outside my area and showcase work to know how that works, though I believe it sometimes hurts the some umpire's who cannot adjust between Rome and home.

And I repeated remind umpires going to nationals to do what the UIC tells them to do, right or wrong, s/he is THE boss and differences can be discussed later.
MTR

by MTR » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:12 pm

mr softball wrote:boy i used to think this game was for the kids, but the way everyone is talking i wonder anymore

It can be, just take the adults out of it.

True story. Couple years ago, a tech HS started a softball program and hired some POS that was in it for the $$ and what he thought was glory.

He couldn't coach worth a damn, but had no problem screaming at an "all freshman" team every time something didn't happen to his liking. The team was bad and this guy made Earl Weaver look like a sleepwalker they way he jumped up and down and hollered at the players. It was only their second game, ever, for some of the players.

F4 was a small, skinny girl that looked like a gentle spring breeze could know over, but she had some TB experience. She basically took control of the team in the field. The coach would scream one thing and she would give that player proper instruction in spite of him. At one point, the coach had one of the OF crying from all the crap he was giving her. F4 requested time, which I gladfully granted and she ran out to talk to the OF. The base coach asked why I allowed her to do that and my response was, "someone has to coach these girls". The coach smiled, agreed and didn't say a word the rest of the game.

I had the same team near the end of the year. They weren't going to make the playoffs, but that same young lady was calling the shots and completely distracted the team for the coach and his abuse. They were not beating other teams, but they were having more fun and learning to play the game. Coaches from other schools also caught on to what was happening and often offered words of encouragement to this team.

Second season ended last June and the coach is still a putz, the young lady is still calling the shots and I don't think he has figured it out yet.
MTR

by ontheblack » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:20 pm

Well I guess I have been fortunate that in my days coaching rec, the vast majority of the time I had umpires who not only knew the game, but saw the bigger picture.

I get that it isnt blue's job to draw lines, but to tell a 10u kid playing rec that what they asked was unreasonable, is just being a d!ckhead. You get paid to be there for the same amount of time, so why the attitude?
ontheblack

by MTR » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:15 pm

ontheblack wrote:Well I guess I have been fortunate that in my days coaching rec, the vast majority of the time I had umpires who not only knew the game, but saw the bigger picture.

I get that it isnt blue's job to draw lines, but to tell a 10u kid playing rec that what they asked was unreasonable, is just being a d!ckhead. You get paid to be there for the same amount of time, so why the attitude?

The "we are paying you" resolution, as if that takes care everything. Assuming money dictates is being a d!ckhead. :o No, umpires get paid to officiate a game, 1 hour, 3 hours, same $$. You want to put the umpires on the clock, I don't think too many will complain. :D
MTR

by UmpSteve » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:43 pm

ontheblack wrote:I get that it isnt blue's job to draw lines, but to tell a 10u kid playing rec that what they asked was unreasonable, is just being a d!ckhead.?

On that, we CAN agree. My issue was really with those that don't want to get that the umpire shouldn't draw lines, then got b!tchy about it.

ontheblack wrote:You get paid to be there for the same amount of time, so why the attitude?

See now, why did you think that (being paid) was any part of the reason? The umpire did the right thing, just apparently wasn't capable of explaining it well (or the attitude of those who still thought he should draw the lines came through more than what he actually said).

Here's the real issue, as I see it. A parent or coach gripes about an umpire, or a call he/she just doesn't get; other parents/coaches immediately assume the worst, other umpires attempt to explain why the call MAY be correct, knowing the initila story is less than half of reality.

Since the original gripe is rarely totally factual without some "flavor", no one knows what really happened, and both sides choose to get insulted and personal. Is that what this board is really about? I'm betting #1 intends more open-minded discussion, than insults thrown.

OK, "Can't we just all get along" is a cliche'; let's shoot for listening.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by HugoTafurst » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:38 am

Spazsdad wrote:
MTR wrote:
ontheblack wrote:
(snip)
Although I find it humorous when the blue in an 1:30 game is trying to rush the pace of the game. 3 innings or 7 should make no difference to him.

What you call "rushing the game", I would call keeping the game moving.
The more the game moves, the more the girls get to play.
We're here for the girls remember.
:)
HugoTafurst

by Fredegar » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:38 am

Spazsdad wrote:Don't know what games you do but other than HS and College conference games the majority of games are "on the clock". Although I find it humorous when the blue in an 1:30 game is trying to rush the pace of the game. 3 innings or 7 should make no difference to him.

Don't forget ASA Nationals (and maybe PGF Nationals), that after the first 2 pool games which have time limits, the tournament games go 7 innings. But yes, the vast majority is timed.

As for umps who "rush the pace", as a coach and parent, I'm very happy when the umps help move the game along. Kids need at-bats, a chance to play the field, and pitchers need innings. Umps are doing the coaches, parents, and kids a huge favor by doing their part to get 6 innings in, instead of a leisurely-paced 4.
Fredegar

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner