Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

No Batters Box ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by SlapperDadd » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:58 pm

My daughter is playing ASA Fall ball. The league does not chalk the batters box. The umpire called one of our girls out for slapping out of the box. Ok so the next inning before her at bat she asks the Home plate umpire to draw the box. The blue looks at her and says no, that is a unacceptable request ? Does anyone no the rule on this type of issue.
SlapperDadd

by okla21fan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:27 pm

All 'lines' exist whether you can see them or not. (although if there is no BB, the benefit of the doubt will in most cases go to the batter). Umpires (in ASA, NFHS and NCAA) are instructed to not 'draw' any lines. however, if no lines can be seen, the umpire should not allow a batter to take a batting stance outside of the perceived BB. It is the responsibility of the coach (or even parent) to teach their players the dimensions of the playing field, not the umpire. (in your case, the front of the BB is 4 feet from the middle of home plate, and 3 feet from the middle of home plate for the back of the box, and 6 inches 'from' home plate would be the inside boundary) hope this helps!
okla21fan

by freetacos » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Hopefully the Blue was just having a bad day. Most of them really are human. Being fallball I would just ignore it and move on to things more worth your time. In my coaching days the only kid on my team allowed to question a Blue was the catcher. ( ball location or attempted swing only ). Pissing off the Blue was my job!! :lol: :lol:

Actually in 15 yrs of coaching I was sent to the parking lot only 3 times. Believe it or not the last time was 18 gold tourney and I got thrown out for looking too long at the Blue after a blown call...Seriously...I never said a word. As it turns out it was the next to last play of the game and I almost fell down laughing. That just made the blue madder....Just when you think you have seen everything, something weirder will happen. ;)

choose your battles

ft
freetacos

by MTR » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:51 pm

SlapperDadd wrote:My daughter is playing ASA Fall ball. The league does not chalk the batters box. The umpire called one of our girls out for slapping out of the box. Ok so the next inning before her at bat she asks the Home plate umpire to draw the box. The blue looks at her and says no, that is a unacceptable request ? Does anyone no the rule on this type of issue.

The rule is 2.3.C

Just because there are no lines does not mean the box isn't there. It is the player's responsibility to be aware of the rules.

Your daughter's request was unreasonable. The umpire is not a groundskeeper. Your complaint is with the people running the league, not the umpire.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:46 pm

MTR wrote:
SlapperDadd wrote:My daughter is playing ASA Fall ball. The league does not chalk the batters box. The umpire called one of our girls out for slapping out of the box. Ok so the next inning before her at bat she asks the Home plate umpire to draw the box. The blue looks at her and says no, that is a unacceptable request ? Does anyone no the rule on this type of issue.

The rule is 2.3.C

Just because there are no lines does not mean the box isn't there. It is the player's responsibility to be aware of the rules.

Your daughter's request was unreasonable. The umpire is not a groundskeeper. Your complaint is with the people running the league, not the umpire.

MTR ... With all due respect because I am not worthy to buff your plate shoes ... But a kids request being ' unreasonable ' ? Many times in many different rule sets a Blue will at least scrib the limits of the box with the knob of the stick ... Do the rules say you need to do that ? ... er um, well no ... But
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by UmpSteve » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:29 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:

The rule is 2.3.C

MTR ... With all due respect because I am not worthy to buff your plate shoes ... But a kids request being ' unreasonable ' ? Many times in many different rule sets a Blue will at least scrib the limits of the box with the knob of the stick ... Do the rules say you need to do that ? ... er um, well no ... But

Only because/if they don't know any better, or believe it is helping (which it doesn't; still the batter's responsibility to know). Not because they should, or because it is right. In any rule set.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:32 am

UmpSteve wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:

The rule is 2.3.C

Only because/if they don't know any better, or believe it is helping (which it doesn't; still the batter's responsibility to know). Not because they should, or because it is right. In any rule set.

I agree that it is not the Umpires responsibility ... Yes, the box is there whether the lines are drawn or not ... And yes, an experienced batter should know the limits of the box in relation to the dish ... The Blue in the OP called one gal out for being out of the box and had another ask where the box is ... This tells me these are not 'experienced' batters ... We're not talking about some wise arse in a beer league yanking your doodle ... This is a youth asking a legit question and I'm not gonna be jerk if I can help it ... I'd give her the front line, but I don't know any better ...

* I have also helped a young backstop with her shin guard strap, picked up pony tail scrunchies out of the dirt, put on band aids ... Many things that are not my responsibility and I don't think are unreasonable requests ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:49 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I agree that it is not the Umpires responsibility ... Yes, the box is there whether the lines are drawn or not ... And yes, an experienced batter should know the limits of the box in relation to the dish ... The Blue in the OP called one gal out for being out of the box and had another ask where the box is ... This tells me these are not 'experienced' batters ... We're not talking about some wise arse in a beer league yanking your doodle ... This is a youth asking a legit question and I'm not gonna be jerk if I can help it ... I'd give her the front line, but I don't know any better ...

And that is why there are coaches to teach and direct the players. And where would it stop? Does an umpire draw a 3' lane when not chalked? Or draw the front of the circle when obliterated or if not chalked at all? Should the umpire carry a tape measure and reset every boundary when requested?

* I have also helped a young backstop with her shin guard strap, picked up pony tail scrunchies out of the dirt, put on band aids ... Many things that are not my responsibility and I don't think are unreasonable requests ...

Well, umpires are directed to not touch player's equipment for any reason. Issues can range from liability to appearance of familiarity and/or favoritism.

spaz wrote:Well G that is the difference between being a human being behind the dish or a being pompous, arrogant, and condescending.

No, it is the difference between an umpire following direction and a GAGA.
MTR

by ontheblack » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:42 am

Fall ball in many places is instructional. 98% of the umpires I have had in Fall ball games are like G, fully aware that there are teachable moments such as these. Its too bad that someone with the game knowledge of MTR doesnt get that this is a golden opportunity to impart that knowledge to those players and parent coaches that dont know 10% of what he does, but are eager to learn and grateful when someone furthers that education.

Perhaps MTR hasnt noticed, but respect for blue also increases in these situations.
ontheblack

by HugoTafurst » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:42 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
(Snip)
No, it is the difference between an umpire following direction and a GAGA.

OK, What's a GAGA?? :?:
HugoTafurst

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner