Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

No Batters Box ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Comp » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:28 am

Are the teams paying to play softball, or huddle, high five, slap gloves, do little dances in the pitching circle and slap each other on the butts?

You should have heard all the b!tching and moaning when local TCS instituted a no huddle policy on the field. Parents threw a fit about "let the girls play ball". Once it was pointed out and proven eliminating all the huddles and enforcing the 1 minute between innings could easily add at least 1 if not 2 extra innings in a 1:20 game, all the hoopla stopped.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:29 am

HugoTafurst wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
MTR wrote:
ontheblack wrote:
(snip)
Although I find it humorous when the blue in an 1:30 game is trying to rush the pace of the game. 3 innings or 7 should make no difference to him.

What you call "rushing the game", I would call keeping the game moving.
The more the game moves, the more the girls get to play.
We're here for the girls remember.
:)

I'm quite sure that Spazsdad was talking about something different than keeping the game moving ... One of the first HS games I ever Blue'd, my partner ( big a'hole ) started rushing a game in the 4th that was moving along just fine on it's own because he felt the first inning was too long ... It was a long high scoring 1st inning for both teams ... Once the pitchers settled down it was moving right along ... His strike zone was the same for both teams though ... About 6 feet high and 4 feet wide ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by THE GODFATHER » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:53 am

Once the pitchers settled down it was moving right along ... His strike zone was the same for both teams though ... About 6 feet high and 4 feet wide ... :lol:[/quote]

DAMN, I've had that Blue and his cousin's a lot over the year's. :lol:
THE GODFATHER

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:35 pm

THE GODFATHER wrote:Once the pitchers settled down it was moving right along ... His strike zone was the same for both teams though ... About 6 feet high and 4 feet wide ... :lol:

DAMN, I've had that Blue and his cousin's a lot over the year's. :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, go to the clinics & classes and then work a game with that dip wad ... Then talk to him in between innings and get a wiff of his dirty colon breath ... Then, you are treated to the ride home wondering if he ever washes his butt ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by tcannizzo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:22 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
THE GODFATHER wrote:Once the pitchers settled down it was moving right along ... His strike zone was the same for both teams though ... About 6 feet high and 4 feet wide ... :lol:

Yeah, go to the clinics & classes and then work a game with that dip wad ... Then talk to him in between innings and get a wiff of his dirty colon breath ... Then, you are treated to the ride home wondering if he ever washes his butt ...[/quote]

What's the equivalent to "rabbit ears"? "Bloodhound nose"?
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:46 am

tcannizzo wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Yeah, go to the clinics & classes and then work a game with that dip wad ... Then talk to him in between innings and get a wiff of his dirty colon breath ... Then, you are treated to the ride home wondering if he ever washes his butt ...

What's the equivalent to "rabbit ears"? "Bloodhound nose"?[/quote]

:lol: Sadly, you wouldn't have to have 'bloodhound nose' in this case ... There wasn't enough door to get that window down far enough ... :lol: E-mailed my UIC as soon as I got home and opted out of working any more games with Stinky ... ;)
GIMNEPIWO

by ontheblack » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:17 pm

The OP was about Fall Ball - an extension of Rec ball in most cases. Those games are usually on the clock. All of my comments are in the context of umpiring a rec game, not a 7 inning ASA tournament game.

I get that many of you blues here are way above Rec ball. However, rec ball is actually for the kids, and being an ass when asked a question from a 10 yr old still very much learning the game is pathetic.
ontheblack

by MTR » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:10 pm

ontheblack wrote:The OP was about Fall Ball - an extension of Rec ball in most cases. Those games are usually on the clock. All of my comments are in the context of umpiring a rec game, not a 7 inning ASA tournament game.

I get that many of you blues here are way above Rec ball. However, rec ball is actually for the kids, and being an ass when asked a question from a 10 yr old still very much learning the game is pathetic.

Then why are you not umpiring it? Seriously, if you want to dictate the actions of position for which others have been trained to the contrary, why not just do it yourself? Create your own volunteer umpire group in your organization. That way you get what you want and can control the manner in which they approach the game.

After all, like you said, it is 10U fall ball. These kids don't need umpiring, they need coaching. So why waste money and frustration on an unnecessary resource?
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:37 pm

MTR wrote:
ontheblack wrote:The OP was about Fall Ball - an extension of Rec ball in most cases. Those games are usually on the clock. All of my comments are in the context of umpiring a rec game, not a 7 inning ASA tournament game.

Then why are you not umpiring it? Seriously, if you want to dictate the actions of position for which others have been trained to the contrary, why not just do it yourself? Create your own volunteer umpire group in your organization. That way you get what you want and can control the manner in which they approach the game.

After all, like you said, it is 10U fall ball. These kids don't need umpiring, they need coaching. So why waste money and frustration on an unnecessary resource?

I guess for the same reason that the Cop I saw changing a flat for an elderly woman was not doing it for a 20 year old ... He wasn't 'Copping' the same way as he would have in the other situation even though the rules were the same ...
GIMNEPIWO

by tcannizzo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Rec, Fall, 10-U notwithstanding. No player should be allowed to carry on the way she did. However the batter was characterized with a distinct level of expertise as a slapper.

Whether the umpire in question used the right amount of bedside manner, is another issue. My momma always told me, "It's not what you say, but how you say it." Maybe the umpire was quoted verbatim, but as we well know the wonders of the message boards, interpretation/context is up for grabs.

Lines are not drawn by umpires. Batter can get set where ever she wants; the pitcher will be held up if B is not in box until B gets in box.

That being said, the one thing I do not recall seeing bantered about in this thread is the ability of PU to see it. Just a SWAG here, but OOB on slappers is probably only called about 10% of the time when a slapper was actually OOB. Reason: this is probably the most difficult call to make because PU must see the foot, out of the box AND ON THE GROUND at the time that the bat hit the ball.

If you are looking at the pitch, it is near-impossible to see the ground and vice-verse. Usually the only time I can call it is on a change up, where B is already OOB way before the pitch comes in.

It causes this poster to wonder how it was easy enough to see, especially if the lines were gone.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner