Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Opinion on an appeal

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Fuddrules » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:58 am

R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st – 2 outs –

B3 hits a triple and 2 runs score – defense coach asks for time, PU grants time, coach appeals that R2 missed 3rd base

PU points to BU asking if R2 missed 3rd base – BU states he didn’t see it. PU then states, I saw R2 miss 3rd base, out. End of inning.

Just curious, if the PU saw R2 miss 3rd base, why would he ask the BU?
Fuddrules

by MTR » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:14 am

Fuddrules wrote:R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st – 2 outs –

B3 hits a triple and 2 runs score – defense coach asks for time, PU grants time, coach appeals that R2 missed 3rd base

PU points to BU asking if R2 missed 3rd base – BU states he didn’t see it. PU then states, I saw R2 miss 3rd base, out. End of inning.

F.Y.I.
NFHS coach can make this appeal, in ASA s/he cannot as it must be an infielder, pitcher or catcher.

I can only think that the umpire was trying to follow protocol, but if there is no question in the PU's mind, there is no problem if the PU makes that call.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:12 am

MTR wrote:
Fuddrules wrote:R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st – 2 outs –

F.Y.I.
NFHS coach can make this appeal, in ASA s/he cannot as it must be an infielder, pitcher or catcher.

I can only think that the umpire was trying to follow protocol, but if there is no question in the PU's mind, there is no problem if the PU makes that call.

Wouldn't it have been better in this case for PU & BU to conference and then announce their call ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:50 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Wouldn't it have been better in this case for PU & BU to conference and then announce their call ?

For what purpose? BU already stated he did not see it. That would probably just be more suspicious than what happened.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:58 pm

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Wouldn't it have been better in this case for PU & BU to conference and then announce their call ?

For what purpose? BU already stated he did not see it. That would probably just be more suspicious than what happened.

Insert Conference Here instead of :

PU points to BU asking if R2 missed 3rd base – BU states he didn’t see it.

And then :

PU then states, R2 miss 3rd base, out. End of inning.

I see what you are saying ... You really can't conference every time you point to the BU whether you think you had seen something that he/she may not have or not ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by HugoTafurst » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:24 am

I am confused...

I understand the question...

This is PU's call (lead runners touch of 3rd), isn't it?
BU has BR.

So appeal was properly made to PU (NFHS) what protecol says he goes to BU?
... it's PU all the way.
Now if PU thinks he missed a possible touch or miss, and he goes to BU, it seems to me he is saying that he (PU) didn't see a miss. So if BU responds that "he didn't see it' (a touch or a miss), I don't see how you can grant the out on appeal.
HugoTafurst

by UmpSteve » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

HugoTafurst wrote:I am confused...

BU has BR.

... it's PU all the way.
Now if PU thinks he missed a possible touch or miss, and he goes to BU, it seems to me he is saying that he (PU) didn't see a miss. So if BU responds that "he didn't see it' (a touch or a miss), I don't see how you can grant the out on appeal.

R2 (on 1st) isn't the lead runner, it is the middle runner, touching/missing 3rd at the time PU is supposed to bewatching R1 (on 2nd) touch home. Not PU's call, he did right in passing it to the BU with responsibility.

Now, since not his call, and for a reason, and because he had his own responsibility at that very moment, I'm not sure I would want him making the call after the fact. Give help if/when asked, but don't agree this should have happened as described.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by HugoTafurst » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:44 am

UmpSteve wrote:

BU has BR.

... it's PU all the way.

R2 (on 1st) isn't the lead runner, it is the middle runner, touching/missing 3rd at the time PU is supposed to bewatching R1 (on 2nd) touch home. Not PU's call, he did right in passing it to the BU with responsibility.

Now, since not his call, and for a reason, and because he had his own responsibility at that very moment, I'm not sure I would want him making the call after the fact. Give help if/when asked, but don't agree this should have happened as described.

Hmmmmm I thought both R1's touch of home and R2's touch of third was PU.
Especially with no play at home, seems to me that it is easier for PU to see home and up the line to third than BU.

I better go study some more... :o

:o
HugoTafurst

by ajaywill » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:

BU has BR.

... it's PU all the way.

Hmmmmm I thought both R1's touch of home and R2's touch of third was PU.
Especially with no play at home, seems to me that it is easier for PU to see home and up the line to third than BU.

I better go study some more... :o

:o

Hugo - I'm with you...I was taught that the PU has responsibility for the lead runner's touch of third base. If you have multiple runners at the start of the play, the lead runner changes each time a runner scores.

I believe in the scenario presented that the touch of third base is the primary responsibility of the PU for both runners. The BU can certainly "have eyes on" the touch of third base by R2, if he can do that without neglecting his responsibilities on the B/R.
ajaywill

Return to The Umpire Corner