Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

obstruction

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by tcannizzo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Iluvblue wrote:No, I only come out when an umpire is completely incompetent as was the case in the example I gave, and if I get animated, oh well.

Corey, you know some of us would appreciate if would come out some time just to say, "That was the best call I have ever seen." :o

And get animated about it too!!!
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by Iluvblue » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:56 pm

any good umpire knows that coaches are emotionally vested in the team they are coaching... so of course they are excitable. As an umpire you UNDERSTAND this, it is simply the way of the world.

Now the umpires that have rabbit ears, are overly sensitive, and wait for coaches to run out and tell them what a great call they made............ well those are umpires we could do without.

I know and respect several very good umpires in our area, and even consider them friends, but once we start the game, they are ALL BUSINESS and can deal with coaches that are animated. They make their calls, and they go about their business.

By the way, those are the same umps that I dont have animated discussions with, because i dont really argue or discuss calls that are outs and safes, balls and strikes.

I get animated when I have an umpire call dead ball, and then say he was just kidding, or when I get an umpire try to explain how they are supposed to signal obstruction only AFTER my runner makes a move to the next base after being obstructed. Yeah, I wonder why I only get animated with umpires that make STUPID ASS CALLS like that....... and they should expect it if they want to be that stupid.

Good umpires wouldnt do something that stupid.
Iluvblue

by tcannizzo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:23 pm

SET [/FEEDTROLL] TO "OFF"
SET [/IGNORETROLL] TO "ON"
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by MTR » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:33 am

Iluvblue wrote:any good umpire knows that coaches are emotionally vested in the team they are coaching... so of course they are excitable. As an umpire you UNDERSTAND this, it is simply the way of the world.

No, a good umpire knows that it is the coach's job to protect and represent the team and members. It does not mean the "adult" coach can act like an idiot and not expect any possible repercussions because they are "emotionally vested" in the team. Like an umpire, if a coach cannot control themselves on the field, they probably shouldn't be there.

Now the umpires that have rabbit ears, are overly sensitive, and wait for coaches to run out and tell them what a great call they made............ well those are umpires we could do without.

Actually, I want an umpire to have rabbit ears. Doesn't mean they have to act on them, but there is a load of information to be gathered that can actually provide helpful to officiating the game. That DOESN'T mean that the alleged third party conversation is protected if said loud enough for others to hear.

I know and respect several very good umpires in our area, and even consider them friends, but once we start the game, they are ALL BUSINESS and can deal with coaches that are animated. They make their calls, and they go about their business.

By the way, those are the same umps that I dont have animated discussions with, because i dont really argue or discuss calls that are outs and safes, balls and strikes.

Hey, animated coaches are great entertainment. I know a lot of umpires that often get a good laugh out of some coaches. However, again, acting the clown doesn't give a coach a free pass to also act the ass like this guy.

I get animated when I have an umpire call dead ball, and then say he was just kidding, or when I get an umpire try to explain how they are supposed to signal obstruction only AFTER my runner makes a move to the next base after being obstructed. Yeah, I wonder why I only get animated with umpires that make STUPID ASS CALLS like that....... and they should expect it if they want to be that stupid.

You know, part of being an adult is acting like an adult, at all times.. Yes an umpires who screws up should expect to take some crap, but that is still not a free pass for a coach to act like an ass.
MTR

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner