Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

obstruction

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:50 pm

tcannizzo wrote:Corey, clarify something for me. Was the bownet past the treeline?

Exactly what I was thinking ... But also, was it there before the first pitch and in any event, why was it permitted to be set up 'in the field of play' .
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Iluvblue » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Im pretty sure it was there when we started, but the reason it was allowed to stay there is because it was in the area that was OUT OF PLAY :)
Iluvblue

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Iluvblue wrote:Im pretty sure it was there when we started, but the reason it was allowed to stay there is because it was in the area that was OUT OF PLAY :)

At the home plate meeting ... Did anyone say " Is that Bownet in left field out of play " ? If the trees were discussed, I would think the bownet would have been discussed ... As I myself have said a hundred times when I see a fair / foul line marked improperly " What are you going to call, the lines that are marked on the field or the the rules " ? But in any event, preventive Umpiring ( and coaching ) - whatever can happen will ... If there is one tiny obstruction on the field you can bet a ball will find it :lol: ... I agree the Blue should have asked about it or stopped it from happening, so should have the coaches - IMO ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by tcannizzo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Well, then you had a royal screw up by the ump(s).
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by HugoTafurst » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:46 pm

What's a "bownet"?
HugoTafurst

by ontheblack » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:59 pm

bownet.jpg
bownet.jpg (21.76 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
ontheblack

by triplecrown » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Here's my question, kids hits a blast into the wind and it rolls into a fence 350 feet away and finds its way under fence, OF raises her hand. My question is, is EVERY ball hit that is ruled "out of play", a ground rule double, or is it umpires discretion as to what he/she feels batter/runner would have had on hit had it not gone out of play?? As in this example, batter/runner could have rounded bases twice before there would have been a play??
triplecrown

by MTR » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:57 pm

triplecrown wrote:Here's my question, kids hits a blast into the wind and it rolls into a fence 350 feet away and finds its way under fence, OF raises her hand. My question is, is EVERY ball hit that is ruled "out of play", a ground rule double, or is it umpires discretion as to what he/she feels batter/runner would have had on hit had it not gone out of play?? As in this example, batter/runner could have rounded bases twice before there would have been a play??

It is two bases, period. No discretion on the umpire's behalf. However, if there is a ground rulesset up by the TD prior to the game, that would be a different story.
MTR

by V'sDad » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:18 am

" So once again, I need to now go out an explain a little bit on how things work and he gets pissed at me."

I was at that game and you did not "go out and explain a little". Your tantrum outburst was embarrassing to most parents around. We were surprised that the blue didn't just toss you for your lack of social skills. Nice example for your players on how NOT to act!
V'sDad

by Iluvblue » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:36 am

It started off fine, ... and trust me, you dont need to worry about the example I set for my players. That 45 seconds hardly encompasses my entire interaction with my players.

Did I argue a single out safe call? Did I argue a single strike call? Did I argue getting called out for leaving early? No, I only come out when an umpire is completely incompetent as was the case in the example I gave, and if I get animated, oh well.

Why didnt I get tossed, because this umpire is incompetent. Did you watch when we were done and then he returned to MY DUGOUT to start again after he had walked 30 feet away and I was sitting quietly on my bucket? I didnt think so.

Many umpires can keep situations from ever getting animated, just by having good game management, and more importantly, dont tell a coach that you arent supposed to signal obstruction until the player makes a move to the next base.... that is what gets coaches going to begin with.

Dont put your hands up and call dead ball, only to then try to sneak away with your hands down hoping nobody has seen you make the call to begin with, and then wonder why a coach comes out a little hot.
Iluvblue

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner