Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Best ejections

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by DonnieS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:26 am

Have to be very careful that I spelled that right.

Best ejection I ever saw, a guy from Houston, he is about 5.5, oriental, very fired up guy. We are I think at Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. He is arguing a call, very loud, very firmly, blue says the usual - one more word and you are outta here - of course he says something and bang - the blue gives him the 'outta here'. The coach keeps going - the blue says - you have to leave in 90 seconds or I call the police. Coach keeps going, goes for about 45 seconds, stops dead pans, 'blue, how much time left' Blue says - about 45 seconds - the coach ramps back up and goes a solid 45 more seconds. Then quietly walks out - finds a good rock and sits there.

He had me laughing all afternoon. I met him but dont remember his name, very personable guy, his kid plays 2nd as I recall.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Cannonball » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:30 am

I might have one of the best. I was ejected last year for the first time in my coaching career. I've coached basketball, baseball, ... For 23 years at the collegiate level. I coached several years before that and before I had a child.

We were playing in a tournament and the opposition had runners on 1st and 2nd. Ball hit to third who was behind the bag since this was a huge girl known for her power. Our 3rd catches the ball steps on 3rd and throws to 1st for the dp. NOPE! Base ump says force not in play. Unbelievable. I walk out of dugout. Base umpire, "Coach, I know about you. Take another step and you're out of here." I say, "Sir, could you please" Base umps says, "Coach say another word and you're gone." I walk into the dugout since we're about to win anyway. I say to my pitcher to get "collected" and deal with it. I'M EJECTED! Plate umpire and base umpire get into shouting match. I've know the plate umpire since I was 7.

TD was on the scene and walked me to the parking lot. Base Umpire is told after the game that his services will no longer be needed at any tournaments at that facility. We win the tournament. To this day, I don't have a clue about what that umpire, "knows about me." LOL!
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by MTR » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 am

I've never understood why an umpire would be so stupid as to ever threaten a player or coach with the "one more word" BS. :?

Then again, I've never understood why some coaches or players don't believe it ;)
MTR

by DonnieS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:15 am

MTR wrote:Then again, I've never understood why some coaches or players don't believe it ;)

Thats the real point.

The only time I was ejected (out of some 800 games), I was discussing a tag, my player had properly applied, the blue was out of position, he was behind short, my 2b tagged the runner going from 1st to 2nd, the runner kept going , my 2b just threw the ball back to the pitcher, she knew the kid was out. The blue called 'safe' - I talk to the blue, I first asked my 2b, did you tag her? She said ' Yes, ' my other coach saw the kid move with the tag. I asked the blue if we could ask the home plate blue, he said 'NO - I made the call - thats it.' I said, 'my player tagged her, she told me she tagged her, maybe home plate saw it better.' He said ' she didnt tag her' I said, "so you are saying my player is lying" he said "take it how ever you want". I turned and he said 'No more words from you'. I walked back to the dugout, not knowing he was right behind me, and I said 'whats the outs ' to my book, and the blue said "You are outta here". My parents started looking for a rope but I told them to chill and I went out and found myself a big rock to sit on, I call it 'ejection rock' to this day.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sball14 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:19 pm

DonnieS wrote:Have to be very careful that I spelled that right.

Best ejection I ever saw, a guy from Houston, he is about 5.5, oriental, very fired up guy. We are I think at Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. He is arguing a call, very loud, very firmly, blue says the usual - one more word and you are outta here - of course he says something and bang - the blue gives him the 'outta here'. The coach keeps going - the blue says - you have to leave in 90 seconds or I call the police. Coach keeps going, goes for about 45 seconds, stops dead pans, 'blue, how much time left' Blue says - about 45 seconds - the coach ramps back up and goes a solid 45 more seconds. Then quietly walks out - finds a good rock and sits there.

He had me laughing all afternoon. I met him but dont remember his name, very personable guy, his kid plays 2nd as I recall.

the funniset part of this post was 5'5'' oriental comment. first of all the term asian is more appropriate. also, most of us could have assumed his stature. your a good guy donnie but had to comment. the fact that political correctness does not exist in most of texas, is what i love most about that state.
sball14

by NumeroUno » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:15 pm

Cannonball wrote:I might have one of the best. I was ejected last year for the first time in my coaching career. I've coached basketball, baseball, ... For 23 years at the collegiate level. I coached several years before that and before I had a child.

We were playing in a tournament and the opposition had runners on 1st and 2nd. Ball hit to third who was behind the bag since this was a huge girl known for her power. Our 3rd catches the ball steps on 3rd and throws to 1st for the dp. NOPE! Base ump says force not in play. Unbelievable. I walk out of dugout. Base umpire, "Coach, I know about you. Take another step and you're out of here." I say, "Sir, could you please" Base umps says, "Coach say another word and you're gone." I walk into the dugout since we're about to win anyway. I say to my pitcher to get "collected" and deal with it. I'M EJECTED! Plate umpire and base umpire get into shouting match. I've know the plate umpire since I was 7.

TD was on the scene and walked me to the parking lot. Base Umpire is told after the game that his services will no longer be needed at any tournaments at that facility. We win the tournament. To this day, I don't have a clue about what that umpire, "knows about me." LOL!

Next time you have pictures of the umps wife and yourself doing beer bongs at a rave party you might want to keep them on the low...:lol:
:lol: :lol:
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by umpinva » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:20 pm

DonnieS wrote:Have to be very careful that I spelled that right.

Good thing you checked, otherwise you'd be outta here!

My most duckfuped ejection happened a few years back. I'm the PU and had several plays that went against team A.

R1 on first and the batter gets a base hit to right field and R1 rounds second and heads to third. I rotate to third for the play and call R1 safe. Team A's coach comes out after the close play to argue and says "that's three you guys have blown." During my response to coach A, I warned him that I didn't want to hear the word four come out of his mouth. Coach A heads back to the dugout and I return to the plate with runners at first and third. Just as I put the ball in play, coach A steps into the dugout doorway and begins shouting "FOUR! FOUR! FOUR! I immediately tossed coach A. The coach goes ballistic, especially when I won't continue dialog with him (when I toss someone, they're dead and I don't talk to dead people.) My partner finally gets coach A off the field and we resume play.

After the game as we're changing clothes, the assistant coach for Team A approaches and explains that his team has a designed defensive play when runners are at first and third and its play number four and the coach was alerting his defense that he wanted to activate the number four play.

Was I wrong for ejecting coach A? Probably. Would I do it again? Absolutely....in a heartbeat.
umpinva

by DonnieS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:23 pm

sball14 wrote: the funniset part of this post was 5'5'' oriental comment. first of all the term asian is more appropriate. also, most of us could have assumed his stature. your a good guy donnie but had to comment. the fact that political correctness does not exist in most of texas, is what i love most about that state.

Thanks for keeping me in line, its a full time job though. And no, political correctness does not exist here, at least not for us texicans.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sball14 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Spazsdad wrote:From sball14:
the funniest part of this post was 5'5'' oriental comment. first of all the term asian is more appropriate.

Says who? Is there a big book somewhere of approved ethnic terminology? Maybe it should be Asian-American.

also, most of us could have assumed his stature.

So is it PC to racially profile someone? We were all to assume he was height challenged simply because he was Asian?
You can take whatever stance you want but at least be consistent.

don't believe in being pc myself. just giving donnie a hard time (all in fun)

found that book of ethnic terminology and thought i'd give it a try.

hey spazsdad, why don't you and jack daniels mind your own business, you hillbilly.

consistent enough for you ;)
sball14

by wadeintothem » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:56 pm

Well lets see, I've maybe baited few, usually pulled the trigger when it was earned, should have a few other times and didnt, wonder about a couple and what I coulda done differently, I've given the silent "you're done" where no one knows but me and the coach and I've done the MLB heave-ho to applause and to jeers... but I can honestly say I enjoyed none and a handful were out and out bad experiences... and not a single one was "best". I have tried to learn from em all. Ejections are part of the job and I will do it, but nothing fun about it.

When you ruin the zen of the game, I've learned getting rid of you makes the game much better, so you go. If youre chirping, and I toss you.. blam you dont chirp any more and I dont have to hear you any more. So thats about it.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner