Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

NFHS LIghtning Strike Rules ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:51 am

As I'm studying the NFHS Rules ... I could swear that I saw that after a lightning strike it's 30 minutes ... after 30 minutes IF you resume play and there is another strike it's game time ... but that is not how it was presented last night at the clinic ... a Blue at the meeting pointed out the guidelines on page 6 of the rule book, but that is not what I remember reading ... I seem to remember it containing a blurb about HS's or areas having electronic lightning strike monitoring equiptment ...? ...have I lost my mind ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by wadeintothem » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:41 am

Is there a question in there?

(other than "have I lost my mind?")
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by anonlooker » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:43 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:As I'm studying the NFHS Rules ... I could swear that I saw that after a lightning strike it's 30 minutes ... after 30 minutes IF you resume play and there is another strike it's game time ... but that is not how it was presented last night at the clinic ... a Blue at the meeting pointed out the guidelines on page 6 of the rule book, but that is not what I remember reading ... I seem to remember it containing a blurb about HS's or areas having electronic lightning strike monitoring equiptment ...? ...have I lost my mind ?

If so, Welcome To HeyBucket!! ;)
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:06 am

wadeintothem wrote:Is there a question in there?

Well ... no ... but is there a conflict in the book ? On the other site it was mentioned that you go with whatever your States guidelines are ... so that is how I'll do it if that is correct ... but ... it's a thorn in my side that I remember reading different ... just want to make sure I've got it right ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by wadeintothem » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:39 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Well ... no ... but is there a conflict in the book ? On the other site it was mentioned that you go with whatever your States guidelines are ... so that is how I'll do it if that is correct ... but ... it's a thorn in my side that I remember reading different ... just want to make sure I've got it right ...

Yes, go by your state guidelines. Like for instance, we dont see much Lightening in CA, so if I even think I may have saw lightening, were done and I'm going home.

Whereas back east I'm sure Lightening means "bring out the metal umbrellas".
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:29 am

wadeintothem wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Yes, go by your state guidelines. Like for instance, we dont see much Lightening in CA, so if I even think I may have saw lightening, were done and I'm going home.

Yeah ... the reason I want to make sure I'm right on this is because we see alot of lightning (some years) ... so it is an issue ... but, according to our State guy, he says keep sending them back out after each 30 minute wait as long as the field has lights ... I'm just not sure that HE has it right ... of course I could always use the argument that I got these kids killed because he said to do it ... no consulation prize in that ... maybe I'm a little close to this because I have been struck .. August 19th, 1991 to be exact ... and let me just say that 561,000 miles per second is faster than I can run ...
GIMNEPIWO

by wadeintothem » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:36 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Yeah ... the reason I want to make sure I'm right on this is because we see alot of lightning (some years) ... so it is an issue ... but, according to our State guy, he says keep sending them back out after each 30 minute wait as long as the field has lights ... I'm just not sure that HE has it right ... of course I could always use the argument that I got these kids killed because he said to do it ... no consulation prize in that ... maybe I'm a little close to this because I have been struck .. August 19th, 1991 to be exact ... and let me just say that 561,000 miles per second is faster than I can run ...

That can be correct. Its a guideline but not set in stone. 30 min wait. If lightening strikes during that 30 min wait, it restarts the 30 mins. If its good to go send them back out. I'd have to thoroughly reread them to be sure, but thats how I remember it. I dont worry about the exact ruling because I go by the "I know it when I see it" weather rule.. Not to mention in reality, several things come into play, from discussions with TD/UIC to discussions with the coaches or Athletic Directors. The call's mine, but there is always discussion that takes place on several levels.

Me and lightening are not friends. I wont be spending too much time thinking about it during lightening strikes. No kids are getting zapped on my watch and they can file a complaint with the main office.

Often times, Rain I'll deal with longer than I probably should.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by skahtboi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:22 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Yeah ... the reason I want to make sure I'm right on this is because we see alot of lightning (some years) ... so it is an issue ... but, according to our State guy, he says keep sending them back out after each 30 minute wait as long as the field has lights ... I'm just not sure that HE has it right ... of course I could always use the argument that I got these kids killed because he said to do it ... no consulation prize in that ... maybe I'm a little close to this because I have been struck .. August 19th, 1991 to be exact ... and let me just say that 561,000 miles per second is faster than I can run ...

The Lightning Guidelines in the NFHS book state that once you see lightning, you wait for 30 minutes. For each subsequent strike you reset the clock at 30 minutes and start all over again. So, let's say you see a strike at 8:20 during a game. The earliest you can resume play will be at 8:50. However, you see another strike at 8:26. Now, the earliest you can resume play is 8:56. You see yet another strike at 8:40. Now, the earliest you can resume play will be 9:10. Now it starts to calm down, and this particular cell seems to be moving on. 9:10 gets here without further incident. You can now get the players back out on the field. At 9:25, it becomes apparent from the distant flashes that another cell is moving in. At this point, you really should start deciding on what you are going to do, maybe even discuss it with the coaches. At 9:32, you see another flash, and at this point you are only in the bottom of the fourth inning. The game cannot resume until 10:02 at the earliest, and it is a school night. Do we stay and keep everyone out late, or do we conclude for the evening. The final choice is yours, though I would certainly solicit the coaches' opinions.
skahtboi

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:25 pm

skahtboi wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

The Lightning Guidelines in the NFHS book state that once you see lightning, you wait for 30 minutes. For each subsequent strike you reset the clock at 30 minutes and start all over again. So, let's say you see a strike at 8:20 during a game. The earliest you can resume play will be at 8:50. However, you see another strike at 8:26. Now, the earliest you can resume play is 8:56. You see yet another strike at 8:40. Now, the earliest you can resume play will be 9:10. Now it starts to calm down, and this particular cell seems to be moving on. 9:10 gets here without further incident. You can now get the players back out on the field. At 9:25, it becomes apparent from the distant flashes that another cell is moving in. At this point, you really should start deciding on what you are going to do, maybe even discuss it with the coaches. At 9:32, you see another flash, and at this point you are only in the bottom of the fourth inning. The game cannot resume until 10:02 at the earliest, and it is a school night. Do we stay and keep everyone out late, or do we conclude for the evening. The final choice is yours, though I would certainly solicit the coaches' opinions.

Okay, when I first read the rule book, case book and the suppliment I thought I saw SOMEWHERE where it said after the second time you delay it, that's it, game time ... but then when I looked again I couldn't find it ... so, I asked at our weekly class, they said what Skahtboi is saying here ... so I asked at the State Clinic- same response except he added "as long as the field has lights" ... then last week at our weekly class it all changed ... I still don't know where or if it is in the rules like I thought I saw ... but WE are calling the game after the second delay ...
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner