Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

USCA Rule Set question

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:20 pm

So, for my DD's entire lives when ever a ball went between their legs, I would say " right through the wickets " ... I always assumed they knew what I was talking about ... A few months back my elderly Aunt who is in the purging process of her belongings gave us an antigue Croquet set ... We set it up and with the rules I remember from childhood start having a hoot ... At some point I say, 'right through the wicket' and DD's have an epihany ! :lol:

Here is my question, if you miss a wicket and need to come back to go through that wicket, do you need to be all the way 'back' through the wicket before hitting through the correct way ? I realize a returning ball does not need to go through the wicket on the way back ... BUT, if that does happen, must the ball clear the wicket completely before advancing ...

:lol: Been a slow month in Umpire corner
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by PDad » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:22 pm

:lol:

Based on the USCA's Scoring a Wicket diagram (http://www.croquetamerica.com/croquet/rules/backyard/), I'd say it has to clear the non-playing side of the wicket.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hit4power » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:29 pm

must the ball clear the wicket completely before advancing ...

Had the chance to go out to Napa Valley this past fall, stay in a very nice place called Meadowood and play croquet on an official pitch (think the biggest putting green you've ever been seen) and get lessons from their croquet coach. Believe it or not, there is a croquet circuit out there with tourneys, money, professionals, etc

Yes, the ball must be played all the way back through before you hit it through the correct direction.

And I completely agree, "real" croquet (not the cheapo gear at your local sporting goods store) is a hoot, especially with alcohol involved.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:41 am

:lol:
hit4power wrote:
must the ball clear the wicket completely before advancing ...

Had the chance to go out to Napa Valley this past fall, stay in a very nice place called Meadowood and play croquet on an official pitch (think the biggest putting green you've ever been seen) and get lessons from their croquet coach. Believe it or not, there is a croquet circuit out there with tourneys, money, professionals, etc

Yes, the ball must be played all the way back through before you hit it through the correct direction.

And I completely agree, "real" croquet (not the cheapo gear at your local sporting goods store) is a hoot, especially with alcohol involved.

We've had this set since late September I think ... Played ( drank ) every evening & weekend into November with the DD who lives home ... The one that is in college close enough to come home did so when she had the chance and partnered with her sister ... Partners is cool and we added some house rules, like tapping out ... So, if I had to go to the cooler or tend the grill I could 'tap out' and my mate would take my shot etc ... We also got creative and set up the wickets in a random pattern around obsticals ... Christmas Day was above freezing so the 7 of us made up 3 teams ... We had drank 4 bottles of Champagne while opening presents , had Baileys in our coffee all morning and started in on the Brewski's & Pomegranite Martinis before the game commenced in early afternoon ... The pictures look like we had fun ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by hit4power » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:26 am

Growing up, my family played bocci ball (Italian lawn bowling) at nearly every family event, party, vacation, etc. My dad got so into it he tore up the lower half (the level part) of our backyard and planted this fancy grass that was supposed to be the official grass used on real bocci courts and then bought a special mower to cut it. We always had a big 4th of July party for family and friends and dad would spend days after work ahead of the party getting the "court" ready for championship play. I recall peppermint schnapps straight from the freezer as the beverage of choice....
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:28 am

hit4power wrote:Growing up, my family played bocci ball (Italian lawn bowling) at nearly every family event, party, vacation, etc. My dad got so into it he tore up the lower half (the level part) of our backyard and planted this fancy grass that was supposed to be the official grass used on real bocci courts and then bought a special mower to cut it. We always had a big 4th of July party for family and friends and dad would spend days after work ahead of the party getting the "court" ready for championship play. I recall peppermint schnapps straight from the freezer as the beverage of choice....

:lol: ahhh ... good family times
GIMNEPIWO

by HugoTafurst » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:06 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:So, for my DD's entire lives when ever a ball went between their legs, I would say " right through the wickets " ... I always assumed they knew what I was talking about ... A few months back my elderly Aunt who is in the purging process of her belongings gave us an antigue Croquet set ... We set it up and with the rules I remember from childhood start having a hoot ... At some point I say, 'right through the wicket' and DD's have an epihany ! :lol:

Here is my question, if you miss a wicket and need to come back to go through that wicket, do you need to be all the way 'back' through the wicket before hitting through the correct way ? I realize a returning ball does not need to go through the wicket on the way back ... BUT, if that does happen, must the ball clear the wicket completely before advancing ...

It's only a problem if properly appealed.
HugoTafurst

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:33 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:So, for my DD's entire lives when ever a ball went between their legs, I would say " right through the wickets " ... I always assumed they knew what I was talking about ... A few months back my elderly Aunt who is in the purging process of her belongings gave us an antigue Croquet set ... We set it up and with the rules I remember from childhood start having a hoot ... At some point I say, 'right through the wicket' and DD's have an epihany ! :lol:

It's only a problem if properly appealed.

As in, " if you get the next beer out of the cooler I will let that slide? " :lol: Wait, that would be " it's only a problem if not properly appealed ... " ;)
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner