Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Lefty Slapper - Step out of the box - Appeal Play???

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by sftbldad » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:59 pm

10u division - ASA Rules - At a friendly with one umpire. Lead off lefty slapper up and she takes three pitches before hitting the fourth pitch and is safe at first. Opposing coach came out and tells the blue she hit the ball with her foot out of the box, (and proceeded to show the blue the foot mark), even though she had ran out of the box four total times somehow the blue believed the opposing coach and awarded him the out. My question is, for future reference, is a foot out of the box an appeal play or does it have to be called right away?
sftbldad

by MTR » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:10 pm

sftbldad wrote:10u division - ASA Rules - At a friendly with one umpire. Lead off lefty slapper up and she takes three pitches before hitting the fourth pitch and is safe at first. Opposing coach came out and tells the blue she hit the ball with her foot out of the box, (and proceeded to show the blue the foot mark), even though she had ran out of the box four total times somehow the blue believed the opposing coach and awarded him the out. My question is, for future reference, is a foot out of the box an appeal play or does it have to be called right away?

It is not an appeal play, but that does not mean the coach cannot appeal to the umpire for a call. However, if the umpire did not call it, it means the umpire did not see it, which means the umpire should have said, "thank you for your input, Coach. Please return to the dugout as we are going to continue with the game."
MTR

by Comp » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:16 pm

It is an immediate dead ball, all runners return to last base occupied.

But, why is the umpire taking a coaches word for it? If he didnt see it himself, he is going to take the word of an opposing coach? I can show you foot prints all over the field, does that mean they all belong to the batter, or that her foot was on the ground at the moment of contact? The batter could have her trailing foot on the front line of the box, the lead foot just about to touch the ground 2' forward of the box, but if that foot has not touched the ground at the moment of contact she is completely legal. The blue was wrong in changing his call to appease a coach.
Comp

by Clean_up » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:28 pm

MTR wrote:
sftbldad wrote:10u division - ASA Rules - At a friendly with one umpire. Lead off lefty slapper up and she takes three pitches before hitting the fourth pitch and is safe at first. Opposing coach came out and tells the blue she hit the ball with her foot out of the box, (and proceeded to show the blue the foot mark), even though she had ran out of the box four total times somehow the blue believed the opposing coach and awarded him the out. My question is, for future reference, is a foot out of the box an appeal play or does it have to be called right away?

It is not an appeal play, but that does not mean the coach cannot appeal to the umpire for a call. However, if the umpire did not call it, it means the umpire did not see it, which means the umpire should have said, "thank you for your input, Coach. Please return to the dugout as we are going to continue with the game."

Maybe you or your coach should have asked the umpire if he saw it and maybe he would have thought it out and changed the call just explaining to the other coach that he can't call what he didn't see, but that he would pay closer attention to the foot next time around, etc.

Sad that umps can be intimated into making a call they didn't see, but A LOT of coaches will try just about anything to get a call. Hopefully, this umpire will learn (if he/she is new) how to handle these situations correctly and that won't happen the next time it comes up.
Clean_up

by 0to60in2.5 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:49 pm

And this was at a 10U friendly???

"Take your friendly @$$ back to the dugout...thank you very much."

Was the coach all over this ONE umpire for girls leaving the bases early too?
0to60in2.5

by umpinva » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:43 pm

It's all about judgment and in this case the PU used poor judgment by calling the batter out after having a chat with the DC. I'm surprised the PU was able to keep the OC in the game.

Had the PU seen the batter out of the box when contact was made, the PU should have killed the play immediately and declared the batter out.
umpinva

by sftbldad » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:16 am

Yes, this was a 10u friendly. I did ask the umpire if he had seen it and he said, and I quote..."Yes, tou can see her footprint right there." I just decided to end the conversation at this point and move forward. Maybe I should have explained the rule to him but it was a friendly.. .anyway, thank you all for your input.
sftbldad

Return to The Umpire Corner