Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Force Play on Batter Runner

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by PDad » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:10 pm

UmpSteve wrote:R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st with 1 out. B4 singles, R1 scores, R2 misses 2nd on way to 3rd, throw is cut off, and B4 tagged out for 2nd out. Defense appeals R2 misses 2nd, and believes the run should come off the board because R2 was forced to 2nd. Correct ruling; R2 out on appeal, but the run DOES score, once B4 (any batter-runner or any trailing runner) was put out, the force play was removed, so the appeal then became a timing play.

Also have had a variation on yours; bases loaded, 1 out, fly to deep right, all runners take off. Ball caught, R1 tags and scores, R2 tags, goes to third, R3 was past 2nd when ball was caught, and the appeal was that the runner from 1st didn't retag 2nd on the way back, and THAT, they claimed, was a force because 1) she was "forced" to retouch, and 2) they only had to tag the bag on appeal (which they did on a dead ball appeal, when they only had to have an infielder verbalize the appeal).

And then the inverse force play; with two outs and bases loaded, batter hit ball to F5. Third base coach has the runner headed to 3rd back up to delay the tag until the runner from 3rd touched the plate, then was tagged. According to this coach, the run scored, because the infielder tagged the runner, which everyone knows isn't a force play. He ended the conversation by asking what was the point of having the runner back up, then; and was astonished to be told there was no point at all, but he could keep doing it if he liked, as long as he didn't expect a run to score.

I'm not surprised by the first one because the sentence governing it isn't known and understood by very many people -
On an appeal play, the force out is determined when the appeal is made, not when the infraction occurred.

The last one is very basic and they should know better.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Crabby_Bob » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:27 pm

PDad wrote:I'm not surprised by the first one because the sentence governing it isn't known and understood by very many people -
On an appeal play, the force out is determined when the appeal is made, not when the infraction occurred.

Depends on the code.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by PDad » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:07 am

Crabby_Bob wrote:
PDad wrote:I'm not surprised by the first one because the sentence governing it isn't known and understood by very many people -

Depends on the code.

I found that in the ASA rules and now that you mentioned it, I don't see similar language in the NFHS or NCAA rules. NFHS case book says run would not score. I'm guessing the run wouldn't score under NCAA either.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fredegar » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:08 am

Thanks to several of you for explaining why it's not called a "force" at 1st. Special thanks to UmpSteve for providing excellent details and definitions based on diff organizations. Very helpful!
Fredegar

by Crabby_Bob » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:08 am

PDad wrote:I'm guessing the run wouldn't score under NCAA either.

7.1.5 With regard to the scoring of runs:
7.1.5.2 If the appeal is at a base to which the base runner was forced to
advance at the time of the infraction and is the third out, no runs can score
on the play.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner