Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Pitching Rule?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by ontheblack » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Its simple: players, coaches and parents learn the rules. blues call the game by the rules. problem solved.
ontheblack

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Bretman wrote:
Comp wrote:I have been seeing more and more of this over the past 2-3 years. Pitchers standing just behind the pitching plate taking the signal, then engaging and immediatly bringing the hands together.

For whatever reason, I've seen a rash of this pitching "technique" in my area also. I've been calling it. When I do, I get incredulous glares from pitchers and coaches accompanied by the inevitable, "But she's never been called for that before", arguments.

banzai williams wrote:My daughter is a freshman in college and she called me yesterday saying that she got called for 6 illegal pitches becuase she takes the sign off the rubber and then gets on the rubber and pitches. I'm assuming they thought she was quick pitching, but is there a rule that you have to take the signs on the rubber?

I wonder why, after having this action create a negative outcome for her team, a pitcher would do it five more times?And I hope that the umpires weren't judging this as a quick pitch. A quick pitch is an immediate dead ball and a "no pitch", not an illegal pitch. Rather than "quickly pitching to catch an off-balance batter by surprise", if the batter was set and ready they must have been IP'ing this for bringing the hands together without the required pause coming first.

The reason why this player would continue to do something that is improper is memory ... Both physical and mental ... That is what coaches battle all the time ... If she has always done it and it has always worked, it is very difficult to change in the course of one game ... And then yes, if the player has a mental or physical block and is unable to get past this and no Blue is calling it, who would and why would you change it ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:36 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:The reason why this player would continue to do something that is improper is memory ... Both physical and mental ... That is what coaches battle all the time ... If she has always done it and it has always worked, it is very difficult to change in the course of one game ... And then yes, if the player has a mental or physical block and is unable to get past this and no Blue is calling it, who would and why would you change it ?

Then you may be shocked how often I see pitchers correct themselves once being called illegal.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:10 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:The reason why this player would continue to do something that is improper is memory ... Both physical and mental ... That is what coaches battle all the time ... If she has always done it and it has always worked, it is very difficult to change in the course of one game ... And then yes, if the player has a mental or physical block and is unable to get past this and no Blue is calling it, who would and why would you change it ?

Then you may be shocked how often I see pitchers correct themselves once being called illegal.

No, I don't think I would ... Those pitchers either did it intentionally or have not repeated the bad habit or mistake enough to where it has gotten into their muscle or mental memory ... She hasn't always done it, it hasn't always worked and you have done your part ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Anti-Clone » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:53 am

I hope you get a refund from the pitching coach.

Keep in mind, it is not illegal for a pitcher to take a signal while off the pitcher's plate. What is illegal is not taking (or simulate taking one) while on the pitcher's plate.
Anti-Clone

by Makina » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 am

Yes, I agree that the Blue should be calling the IP's when it happens. Just so you know at many of the Showcase tournaments or even Actual tournaments during bracket play the Blues are instructed not to call IP's, except for major violations. Basically a leap or stepping back. The smaller stuff, coming onto plate with hands together, inadvertent double touches etc are ignored.

The really good coaches actually want you to call the small IP stuff. I decided to call an IP on a very good pitcher with a very well know organization. After wards the coach (who is her pitching coach) thanked me for calling the IP :o . He told me that he had been working with her to eliminate her of this habit, but she did not believe him because no Blue had ever called her for it.
Makina

by Battle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Makina wrote:The really good coaches actually want you to call the small IP stuff. I decided to call an IP on a very good pitcher with a very well know organization. After wards the coach (who is her pitching coach) thanked me for calling the IP :o . He told me that he had been working with her to eliminate her of this habit, but she did not believe him because no Blue had ever called her for it.

What inning was it and was she the starter?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Anti-Clone » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Makina wrote:Yes, I agree that the Blue should be calling the IP's when it happens. Just so you know at many of the Showcase tournaments or even Actual tournaments during bracket play the Blues are instructed not to call IP's, except for major violations. Basically a leap or stepping back. The smaller stuff, coming onto plate with hands together, inadvertent double touches etc are ignored.

The really good coaches actually want you to call the small IP stuff. I decided to call an IP on a very good pitcher with a very well know organization. After wards the coach (who is her pitching coach) thanked me for calling the IP :o . He told me that he had been working with her to eliminate her of this habit, but she did not believe him because no Blue had ever called her for it.

What the hell is all of this "blue" talk. We are umpires. Not colors. If you are going to use "blue" as a noun, try an article before it like "the." When you reduce your job and title to a color, you lose respect for the position.
Anti-Clone

by ontheblack » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Anti-Clone wrote:
Makina wrote:Yes, I agree that the Blue should be calling the IP's when it happens. Just so you know at many of the Showcase tournaments or even Actual tournaments during bracket play the Blues are instructed not to call IP's, except for major violations. Basically a leap or stepping back. The smaller stuff, coming onto plate with hands together, inadvertent double touches etc are ignored.

What the hell is all of this "blue" talk. We are umpires. Not colors. If you are going to use "blue" as a noun, try an article before it like "the." When you reduce your job and title to a color, you lose respect for the position.

Lighten up A-C.

I have tremendous respect for the job. I used to do it 25 years ago but I wasnt very good. I missed a whole lot of calls. There is no disrespect intended on my part by referring to the umpire as "Blue". Its common. In fact I have had umps that I know well ask me to not say "Hey Joe, I have a question", or "Joe, time out" but "Hey Blue" as it doesnt infer anything.
ontheblack

by MTR » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Anti-Clone wrote:What the hell is all of this "blue" talk. We are umpires. Not colors. If you are going to use "blue" as a noun, try an article before it like "the." When you reduce your job and title to a color, you lose respect for the position.

Yeah, but it could be worse. You could be called "umpsy", one of the favorites with my friends from the boroughs
MTR

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner