Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Pitching Rule?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by UmpSteve » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:38 pm

MTR wrote:
Anti-Clone wrote:What the hell is all of this "blue" talk. We are umpires. Not colors. If you are going to use "blue" as a noun, try an article before it like "the." When you reduce your job and title to a color, you lose respect for the position.

Yeah, but it could be worse. You could be called "umpsy", one of the favorites with my friends from the boroughs

Umpy in Canada.

I am fine with "Blue" as a title all day long.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:21 am

Anti-Clone wrote:
Makina wrote:Yes, I agree that the Blue should be calling the IP's when it happens. Just so you know at many of the Showcase tournaments or even Actual tournaments during bracket play the Blues are instructed not to call IP's, except for major violations. Basically a leap or stepping back. The smaller stuff, coming onto plate with hands together, inadvertent double touches etc are ignored.

The really good coaches actually want you to call the small IP stuff. I decided to call an IP on a very good pitcher with a very well know organization. After wards the coach (who is her pitching coach) thanked me for calling the IP :o . He told me that he had been working with her to eliminate her of this habit, but she did not believe him because no Blue had ever called her for it.

What the hell is all of this "blue" talk. We are umpires. Not colors. If you are going to use "blue" as a noun, try an article before it like "the." When you reduce your job and title to a color, you lose respect for the position.

Lemme guess ... You iron your socks ? :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Anti-Clone » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:45 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote: Lemme guess ... You iron your socks ? :lol:

Some umpires love to be called "blue" because it makes them think that the coaches like them and makes them feel all warm and fuzzy. These are the same idiots who can't figure out why none of the coaches know their names and don't recommend them or give them good evaluations (for those areas where coaches' remarks have some value).

Though most people don't mean any disrespect when using the term, it shows a lack of respect.

Next time you get a ticket, try calling the judge "Hey Black" rather than "Judge" or "Your honor" and see how that goes for you.
Anti-Clone

by MTR » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:06 am

Anti-Clone wrote:Some umpires love to be called "blue" because it makes them think that the coaches like them and makes them feel all warm and fuzzy. These are the same idiots who can't figure out why none of the coaches know their names and don't recommend them or give them good evaluations (for those areas where coaches' remarks have some value).

Don't care if the coaches know my name and I'd rather they not use my name, just as I will not use their name in discussions on or around the field.

The only person I need to impress is myself and the other umpires who, BTW, are the toughest critics of themselves and fellow umpires

Though most people don't mean any disrespect when using the term, it shows a lack of respect.

Next time you get a ticket, try calling the judge "Hey Black" rather than "Judge" or "Your honor" and see how that goes for you.

One of the major causes this country is so screwed up. People need to get over themselves and be responsible for living their lives instead of worrying about how others perceive them or pick on a word, which by the way has absolutely ZERO power that you do not afford it.
MTR

by jonriv » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:06 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Anti-Clone wrote:
Makina wrote:Yes, I agree that the Blue should be calling the IP's when it happens. Just so you know at many of the Showcase tournaments or even Actual tournaments during bracket play the Blues are instructed not to call IP's, except for major violations. Basically a leap or stepping back. The smaller stuff, coming onto plate with hands together, inadvertent double touches etc are ignored.

The really good coaches actually want you to call the small IP stuff. I decided to call an IP on a very good pitcher with a very well know organization. After wards the coach (who is her pitching coach) thanked me for calling the IP :o . He told me that he had been working with her to eliminate her of this habit, but she did not believe him because no Blue had ever called her for it.

What the hell is all of this "blue" talk. We are umpires. Not colors. If you are going to use "blue" as a noun, try an article before it like "the." When you reduce your job and title to a color, you lose respect for the position.

Lemme guess ... You iron your socks ? :lol:

and starch their underwear
jonriv

by Bretman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 am

Anti-Clone wrote:Next time you get a ticket, try calling the judge "Hey Black" rather than "Judge" or "Your honor" and see how that goes for you.

This is a poor analogy. Is there a decades-long convention whereby judges are commonly referred to as "Black"? Are the expectations of decorum and conduct equal for both a ball field and a court of law?

I am totally neutral on being called "Blue". I realize that umpires have been called this for longer than I've been an umpire and they'll likely be called this long after I've stopped umpiring. It is a common convention that has evolved with the game. I doesn't strike me as a sign of disrespect, it doesn't give me "warm fuzzies" and I don't take it to imply that a coach "likes me".

If a coach can't remember by name, I guess that he should have been paying closer attention at the plate conference when I introduced myself.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Diesels_dad » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:50 am

To lighten the mood I would like to request a song------ “The Humpty dance” by digital underground…..just sayin :roll:
Diesels_dad

by Bretman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:56 am

I don't know if that will help...but I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Diesels_dad » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:07 am

Bretman wrote:I don't know if that will help...but I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom.

NOW that is funny--- :lol: :lol:
Diesels_dad

by jonriv » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:24 am

Bretman wrote:I don't know if that will help...but I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom.

Was it a Whopper???
jonriv

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner