Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Pitcher as DP?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by crashsdaddy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:51 pm

Had an ump say the pitcher cannot be the DP. Is this correct?
crashsdaddy

by Comp » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Maybe he needs to study the rules some more. DP can play ANY defensive position.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:55 pm

The DP & FLEX can play defence t the same time but can not play offence at the same time ... He may be mistaken because many people put their hurler as the FLEX and have a DP bat for them ... And I think often in Case Books they use that as an example ... Plus he is stupid ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Anti-Clone » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:59 pm

In order for a team to use the DP on defense, the defensive team will have to choose between the two following options:

1) Drop the Flex from the game (for the time being) reducing the number of players from 10 to 9. The DP then assumes both offensive and defensive responsibilities.

2) The Flex plays defense for someone other than the DP and that "someone" else only plays offense. Note: The Flex is still restricted to enter the game into the original DP's position. To keep is simpler in the umpire (or coach's) mind, you can consider this "someone" else as a TOP (temporary offensive player). Again, I have moved away from calling her a temporary DP because that term could lead to confusion if the coach attempts to put the Flex into the game.
Anti-Clone

by Comp » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Anti-Clone wrote:In order for a team to use the DP on defense, the defensive team will have to choose between the two following options:

1) Drop the Flex from the game (for the time being) reducing the number of players from 10 to 9. The DP then assumes both offensive and defensive responsibilities.

2) The Flex plays defense for someone other than the DP and that "someone" else only plays offense. Note: The Flex is still restricted to enter the game into the original DP's position. To keep is simpler in the umpire (or coach's) mind, you can consider this "someone" else as a TOP (temporary offensive player). Again, I have moved away from calling her a temporary DP because that term could lead to confusion if the coach attempts to put the Flex into the game.

Im not following exactly what you are trying to describe, but I believe you have the dp and flex backward. The DP is an offensive position, the flex is a defensive position. The flex must play defense, and can play offense, but only in the DP batting position. The DP may play defense for any player other than the flex without it being a substitution. There is no need to drop to 9 players for the DP to play defense. The only time you would drop to 9 with the DP on defense is if they were playing for the flex.
Last edited by Comp on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Anti-Clone wrote:In order for a team to use the DP on defense, the defensive team will have to choose between the two following options:

Well that clears it up ... ! :lol: When you actually eliminate the rule and just spout off some misinformation everyone catches on quickly ...
Last edited by GIMNEPIWO on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by PDad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Comp wrote:... DP can play ANY defensive position.

Has anyone else noticed that CSTV's Gametracker does not seem to handle this situation? It doesn't have a position for a non-DP player on the bench, so it shows them as DP which is obviously not correct.

How do the other programs (e.g. GameChanger, iScore) handle it?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Anti-Clone » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:37 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Well that clears it up ... ! :lol: When you actually eliminate the rule and just spout off some misinformation everyone catches on quickly ...

Everything I wrote is 100% accurate, though maybe you can't follow it. If the team wants to use the DP on defense (in addition to offense), then the team has two OPTIONS to choose from. An option means that the team can pick either choice, in case that's where you are confused. The team can choose OPTION 1: Drop the Flex from the line-up and have the DP play offense and defense. OR, the team can choose OPTION 2: The Flex plays defense for someone other than the DP, the DP plays offense and defense and the other player in the line-up now only plays defense.

This is permitted because both the DP and Flex can be on defense at the same time. What they cannot do is both be on offense at the same time because in order for the Flex to play offense, she must enter into the DP's spot in the line-up.

Nice attempt to undermind what I wrote, but you only demonstrated your own ignorance :o
Anti-Clone

by Anti-Clone » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:41 am

Comp wrote:

Im not following exactly what you are trying to describe, but I believe you have the dp and flex backward. The DP is an offensive position, the flex is a defensive position. The flex must play defense, and can play offense, but only in the DP batting position. The DP may play defense for any player other than the flex without it being a substitution. There is no need to drop to 9 players for the DP to play defense. The only time you would drop to 9 with the DP on defense is if they were playing for the flex.

I agree, primarily because that is exactly what I wrote. The team can choose between two OPTIONS when they want the DP to play defense. The teams does NOT have to drop from 10 to 9 players. That would be Option #2. But the team does have to articulate which option it is choosing because of potential substitution issues, should those arise and because of defensive positioning (for NCAA).
Anti-Clone

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:04 pm

AC ... You are mistaken ... The DP can play defense for anyone ... The Flex can play defense for anyone ... But if the FLEX bats for the DP the DP has left the game ... If the DP plays defense for the FLEX the FLEX has left the game ... But that is not position by position ... If the FLEX was F1 and the DP comes in at F1, the FLEX can go to F9 and F9 can go sit, no one has left the game ...
GIMNEPIWO

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner