Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Slapper HBP

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Comp » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:53 pm

If the batter is attempting a swing at the pitch, it does not matter if the ball is in the strike zone or not, if the ball hits the hands or any other part of the batter it is a dead ball strike.
Comp

by AlwaysImprove » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:47 am

Comp wrote:If the batter is attempting a swing at the pitch, it does not matter if the ball is in the strike zone or not, if the ball hits the hands or any other part of the batter it is a dead ball strike.

Do you happen to have the rules that support your ruling? Not challenging anyone read on this. I have seen it called that way, but do not understand how the rules work on that call.

Often if the ball is inside of the plate, not a strike, the batter will defensively alter their swing to take the ball on their hands. Most of the time this is ruled HBP.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:00 am

ASA 7-4-H A strike is called by the umpire for each pitch swung at and missed which touches any part of the batter.

If the umpire judges it to be an actual swing attempt, it is a dead ball strike. If they determine it was not a swing attempt, then it is a hit by pitch.
Comp

by fastpitchforever » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Comp wrote:ASA 7-4-H A strike is called by the umpire for each pitch swung at and missed which touches any part of the batter.

If the umpire judges it to be an actual swing attempt, it is a dead ball strike. If they determine it was not a swing attempt, then it is a hit by pitch.

Thanks for the clarification.....I must be remembering instances where the slapper swung at a pitch and had it hit her hands, hence the dead ball strike. We had a recent call where the slapper started a swing, but pulled back as the rise ball came inside, and was hit in the hands. Umpire awarded her first base, and I was unclear as to why.
fastpitchforever
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:37 pm

Comp wrote:ASA 7-4-H A strike is called by the umpire for each pitch swung at and missed which touches any part of the batter.

If it's not a swing attempt, isn't it either a HBP or a dead ball strike/ball depending on the location of the pitch and whether the batter tried to avoid being hit?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:31 pm

Obviously if the batter prevents the ball from entering the strike zone you would have a dead ball strike, regardless of if they attempted to swing or not. My original response was to a comment about it would be a hit by pitch and award of 1st base if the ball was not in the strike zone even if the batter were swinging. That is not the case, a swing at a pitch is a strike no matter where the pitch may be, and if it hits the batter it is a dead ball strike. As for the batter attempting to avoid a pitch, if they are swinging at the ball, I seriously doubt they are attempting to avoid the pitch. Both results are a dead ball, if the batter wasnt swinging and didnt attempt to avoid they remain at bat and its a ball. If they were swinging, its still a dead ball but a strike.
Comp

by Anti-Clone » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:43 am

Comp wrote:Obviously if the batter prevents the ball from entering the strike zone you would have a dead ball strike, regardless of if they attempted to swing or not. My original response was to a comment about it would be a hit by pitch and award of 1st base if the ball was not in the strike zone even if the batter were swinging. That is not the case, a swing at a pitch is a strike no matter where the pitch may be, and if it hits the batter it is a dead ball strike. As for the batter attempting to avoid a pitch, if they are swinging at the ball, I seriously doubt they are attempting to avoid the pitch. Both results are a dead ball, if the batter wasnt swinging and didnt attempt to avoid they remain at bat and its a ball. If they were swinging, its still a dead ball but a strike.

Keep in mind that for those codes that require an attempt to avoid being hit, batter's just can't disappear. If the batter naturally has some foot movement or arm movement at the time of the pitch, she can't be expected to disappear if the ball comes up and in.

Using the present progressive of the verb "swing" is leading to confusion or at least clouding the issue. It doesn't matter if the batter is "swinging;" what matter is if she actually "swung."

If the batter SWUNG, it's a strike regardless. For what it's worth, you can't have a dropped third strike since the ball is dead.

If the batter has not swung, then the ruling depends on the code.
Anti-Clone

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner