Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Obstruction

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by wgcoop629 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Please explain this obstruction call.

Runner was advancing to third on dropped pitch. Catcher immediately recovered and threw ball to 3rd. Before the ball was thrown, the field umpire signaled obstruction. The runner was about half way to third, when the obstruction was signaled. The shortstop was nowhere near the runner's line. I couldn't tell the third basemen's position from my angle, she may have been in front (between runner and the base) of the bag. However she received the ball when the runner was three steps before reaching the bag. Again the obstruction was signaled before the catcher released the ball and the runner half way to third.
wgcoop629

by Comp » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Without seeing the play or knowing what the umpire may have seen there is no way to explain the call.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:44 am

On the DK ... Is it possible the Field Umpire saw the batter step in front of the catcher and made the OBS call ? If the runner was not yet to 3rd base where F5 could have obstructed, then no justified OBS call would be possible ... You can not project an OBS call because it may happen ... If F6 was nowhere near the runners base path then no justified OBS call could be made ... Are you sure he wasn't signaling a delayed dead ball on an illegal pitch ? Thus awarding R1 3rd base and a ball on the batter ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:02 am

wgcoop629 wrote:Please explain this obstruction call.

Runner was advancing to third on dropped pitch. Catcher immediately recovered and threw ball to 3rd. Before the ball was thrown, the field umpire signaled obstruction. The runner was about half way to third, when the obstruction was signaled. The shortstop was nowhere near the runner's line. I couldn't tell the third basemen's position from my angle, she may have been in front (between runner and the base) of the bag. However she received the ball when the runner was three steps before reaching the bag. Again the obstruction was signaled before the catcher released the ball and the runner half way to third.

To start, a signal is not necessarily instantaneous, the umpire gets the arm out whenever s/he gets it out. There are no points for speed.

As noted, are you sure it was for OBS? And if you were watching the catcher, how do you know what may have happened prior to you looking at the runner or umpire?

BTW, you posted the call, but not the award. Was it 3B?
MTR

by wgcoop629 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Yes, the award was third base. The umpire ruled obstruction on F5. Like I stated, I could not tell where she (F5) was standing, but the umpire told the coach she was in the base path without the ball, thus obstructing the base runner. His reasoning was proximity of the baserunner to the fielder was irrelevant. The base runner was attempting to occupy third and the fielder was in front of the bag. The proximity of the runner to the fielder/bag did not matter.
wgcoop629

by MTR » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:14 pm

wgcoop629 wrote:Yes, the award was third base. The umpire ruled obstruction on F5. Like I stated, I could not tell where she (F5) was standing, but the umpire told the coach she was in the base path without the ball, thus obstructing the base runner. His reasoning was proximity of the baserunner to the fielder was irrelevant. The base runner was attempting to occupy third and the fielder was in front of the bag. The proximity of the runner to the fielder/bag did not matter.

If this is accurate, that is pitiful interpretation by the umpire.
MTR

by Anti-Clone » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:49 am

Obstruction does not occur until the runner is hindered or impeded. In other words, the presence of a defensive player without the ball is an element, but it is just one element. The second element is whether as a result of the defensive player being where she was (without the ball), the runner slows down, goes around, goes back, alters her path, etc.

Generally speaking, the closer the runner is to the defensive player (without the ball), the more likely you will have obstruction.

I would recommend not focusing on the fact that the ball wasn't released yet in an argument where you don't want there to be obstruction. That is proof in favor of calling obstruction (though by your facts it doesn't sound like I would have).

In your case, it seems like the umpires may have needed to wait another second or two to let things play out and see what happened.
Anti-Clone

by rdelawder12 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:41 pm

truly think the umpire is stating F5 and wanted to say F6 based on location of the runner and as many times as he signaled OBS, lol! I dont think I've ever seen an OBS with no fielders in the vicinity or yet before a runner as arrived to the defensive player, so he had to mean the SS as he may not know the number of the positions in the IF, but one could guess the SS would be the 5th in line if your counting around the IF. LOL :lol: :lol:
rdelawder12

Return to The Umpire Corner