Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Worth454 Pulled from college game.

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by cuzmail » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:43 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:DD had a bat pulled from NCAA DIII Regionals last year ... A small piece of tape was coming off the grip in a pre-game inspection ... It was out for the tournament ...

Sure there wasn't anything else? That's a bit ridiculous.

We have had a couple bats removed from the game for the same reason per statment by the umpire. The Xenos are famous for the tape coming loose on the grip. Simple fix, but you need to stay on top of it.
There's one in every crowd!
cuzmail

by MTR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:59 am

cuzmail wrote:
MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:DD had a bat pulled from NCAA DIII Regionals last year ... A small piece of tape was coming off the grip in a pre-game inspection ... It was out for the tournament ...

We have had a couple bats removed from the game for the same reason per statment by the umpire. The Xenos are famous for the tape coming loose on the grip. Simple fix, but you need to stay on top of it.

Ask for the rule.

From NCAA 2012-2013 Rule Book:

3.3.1.8.3 The handle is the area between the knob and taper that is covered by the grip. It must be tubular and shall have a safety grip of cork, tape (no smooth, plastic tape) or composition material (commercially manufactured bat grip). The safety grip shall not be less than 10 inches long and shall not extend more than 15 inches from the knob. Resin, pine tar or spray substances placed on the safety grip to enhance the grip are permissible on the grip only. It may not exceed two layers. If taped, it must be a continuous spiral but need not be a solid layer.

Nowhere it says anything about how taut the grip or tape must be or remain. As long as the handle is covered for the first 10" from the knob (and no more than 15") with approved material(s), it should be good to go. A little loose tape should be irrelevant to the legality of the bat.

Now, if the umpire states they have a directive which supersedes or enhances the rule, the umpire should be able to provide a copy of it to the coach.

I think you have some people who are reading too much into the rule.
MTR

by cuzmail » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:33 am

MTR wrote:
cuzmail wrote:
MTR wrote:

Ask for the rule.

From NCAA 2012-2013 Rule Book:

3.3.1.8.3 The handle is the area between the knob and taper that is covered by the grip. It must be tubular and shall have a safety grip of cork, tape (no smooth, plastic tape) or composition material (commercially manufactured bat grip). The safety grip shall not be less than 10 inches long and shall not extend more than 15 inches from the knob. Resin, pine tar or spray substances placed on the safety grip to enhance the grip are permissible on the grip only. It may not exceed two layers. If taped, it must be a continuous spiral but need not be a solid layer.

Nowhere it says anything about how taut the grip or tape must be or remain. As long as the handle is covered for the first 10" from the knob (and no more than 15") with approved material(s), it should be good to go. A little loose tape should be irrelevant to the legality of the bat.

Now, if the umpire states they have a directive which supersedes or enhances the rule, the umpire should be able to provide a copy of it to the coach.

I think you have some people who are reading too much into the rule.

I did fail to say that my post were realted to ASA and USFA tournaments. You quoted the NCAA rules since the OP was talking about the college game. Fair enough since I didn't say what type of tournament I was referring to.

With that being said, there was no reading too much into the rule. When an umpire tells you exactly why the bat was disallowed, there isn't a whole lot of rule reading on my part :lol:
cuzmail

by MTR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:48 am

cuzmail wrote:
I did fail to say that my post were realted to ASA and USFA tournaments. You quoted the NCAA rules since the OP was talking about the college game. Fair enough since I didn't say what type of tournament I was referring to.

With that being said, there was no reading too much into the rule. When an umpire tells you exactly why the bat was disallowed, there isn't a whole lot of rule reading on my part :lol:

ASA is only different on the point that it is not as strict as NCAA which means there should not be any removal of bat from the game for a loose piece of tape.

Unless there is something not being said here, there is no reason to remove a bat from the game simply because there is a loose piece of tape assuming that does not bring the length of the tape/grip to less than 6"
MTR

by cuzmail » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:02 am

MTR wrote:
cuzmail wrote:

ASA is only different on the point that it is not as strict as NCAA which means there should not be any removal of bat from the game for a loose piece of tape.

Unless there is something not being said here, there is no reason to remove a bat from the game simply because there is a loose piece of tape assuming that does not bring the length of the tape/grip to less than 6"

I couldn't agree more, but our agreement doesn't change to fact that it happened. I can't think of anything that isn't being said. Especially, when the umpires gave specific instructions on why the bat was not allowed and what we needed to do to fix it. One umpire gave us the opportunity to repair it. The other did not and kept the bat in until the game was over.
cuzmail

by MTR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:53 pm

cuzmail wrote:I couldn't agree more, but our agreement doesn't change to fact that it happened. I can't think of anything that isn't being said. Especially, when the umpires gave specific instructions on why the bat was not allowed and what we needed to do to fix it. One umpire gave us the opportunity to repair it. The other did not and kept the bat in until the game was over.

And being a misinterpretation of a rule makes this a protest situation.

Not saying that you should go off the deep end about this, but someone, including the umpires, needs to get it straight before it does become an issue with someone.
MTR

by cuzmail » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:44 am

MTR wrote:
cuzmail wrote:I couldn't agree more, but our agreement doesn't change to fact that it happened. I can't think of anything that isn't being said. Especially, when the umpires gave specific instructions on why the bat was not allowed and what we needed to do to fix it. One umpire gave us the opportunity to repair it. The other did not and kept the bat in until the game was over.

And being a misinterpretation of a rule makes this a protest situation.

Not saying that you should go off the deep end about this, but someone, including the umpires, needs to get it straight before it does become an issue with someone.

Good advice - Thanks.

I am leary about saying much at all in a situation like this. I hate to start off an a bad foot before the coach's meeting even starts! :lol: Probably a conversation with the UIC is in order, but too bad these bat checks happen moments before the coach's meeting and that doesn't leave too much time to get it resolved before the game. I already have enough things floating around in my head during that time. :roll:
cuzmail

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner