Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Pitching Motion and hands together

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by UmpSteve » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:06 am

Phantomz08 wrote:Well, if you would have been in College Station this past weekend, you would have seen what I am talking about. Her hands were never separated prior to toeing the rubber and only when she started her windmill motion, did they become separated because, as you said, nobody can pitch with their hands together. Both of ya'll have failed to answer my question. "Do college pitchers have to have their hands separated when stepping on to the rubber? Simple question.

Simple answer. Read the first sentence of my previous response, the answer already there.

Pitching plate; no rubber on a softball field. That word not in the rulebook, so you won't find the EXACT answer. But, reread the first sentence of the previous response.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 am

Phantomz08 wrote:Well, if you would have been in College Station this past weekend, you would have seen what I am talking about. Her hands were never separated prior to toeing the rubber and only when she started her windmill motion, did they become separated because, as you said, nobody can pitch with their hands together. Both of ya'll have failed to answer my question. "Do college pitchers have to have their hands separated when stepping on to the rubber? Simple question.

Now that is another story. That is the preliminary requirements that must be met prior to the pitcher starting anything involved with a pitch. Even in the NCAA game, the pitcher must have their hands separated when stepping to contact the pitcher's plate.

Here is the first paragraph of NCAA Rule 10:

10.1 Defensive Positioning Required for a Legal Pitch10.1.1 The pitcher is considered to be in the pitching position when with her hands apart, she steps forward, puts both feet on the pitcher’s plate, and the catcher is in position to receive the pitch

This is part of the preliminaries for a pitcher and is relatively the same in ASA & ISF. The hands being separated, I believe, are part of the preliminaries for most, if not all, rule sets.

BTW, that "simple question" right at the end of the previous post was the first time you suggested this was not part of the pitch itself. Neither Steve, I or anyone else can answer a question that wasn't asked. :D
MTR

by Phantomz08 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:58 am

Ya'll must be umpires because you have the egos that go with them. I do not care what you have witnessed Triana doing Umpire Steve, this past weekend she did not separate her hands until they had to come apart as part of her wind mill motion. My second post, I very clearly asked the question about if college pitchers had to have separation.

My simple question has been answered, thank you very much.

Have a great day!!
If it ain't broke, why fix it??
Phantomz08
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:23 pm

I cant find video of any games for Alabama from this last weekend. I did look at a game from a week ago and have seen Traina pitch on numerous other occasions. Unless she drastically changed something between a week ago and the weekend she has always been legal.
Comp

by MTR » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:35 pm

Phantomz08 wrote:Ya'll must be umpires because you have the egos that go with them. I do not care what you have witnessed Triana doing Umpire Steve, this past weekend she did not separate her hands until they had to come apart as part of her wind mill motion. My second post, I very clearly asked the question about if college pitchers had to have separation.

My simple question has been answered, thank you very much.

Have a great day!![/quote]

But at no time did you mention it being prior to or as stepping to the pitcher's plate. I was a simple question that you failed to communicate properly.

And my day will be great,TYVM.
MTR

by ontheblack » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:45 pm

I have watched a boatload of video of Traina pitching and what you describe is not her typical mechanics. She frequently throws the ball into her glove, steps to the PP, takes the signs with both arms at her side, then brings her hands together as she begins.

Its rare that a pitcher of her caliber would have such significant changes in her routine.

Unfortunately I cant find any tape of her at A&M this last week. Did you take any video or pics?
ontheblack

by Gulf Coast Blue » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:00 am

I know quite a few of the umpires that cover SE Texas Division 1 (especially A&M) and they would not ignore what you said Traina was doing.

Joel
Gulf Coast Blue

by cuzmail » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:57 am

???
I was in College Station this past weekend, but only saw Sunday's game. I also saw the Wednesday game vs. U of H. I did not see Traina take the PP with her hands together at any time Sunday or during warm ups Wednesday (she didn't pitch vs. U of H). DD and I paid particularly close attention to the pitchers to learn and compare, so I am sure that if anyone was approacing together one of us would have noticed. During Sunday's game I recorded about 5 minutes of Traina and 2 minutes of Dzemuzich (sp?) pitching with a slow mo app to compare them to DD. Both had their hands separated while taking the PP.

Traina's routine was the same every time. She approached with her glove hand (L) folded upward and the glove resting in the front shoulder/arm pit area while the pitching hand (R) dangled near the right hip. She rocks slightly while taking the signal and then brings the glove hand to the right hip and inserts her right hand. She then starts her "signature" right hip twist to start the pitching motion.

I have a screen shot frozen in the slow mo app I will try to attach. This is the 3rd time I have typed this so I don't know if the pic (or even the post) will make it. My computer doesn't like HeyBucket or vise versa this morning.

Now if you want to talk about something interesting. Traina lines up on the far 3B side of the PP and flirts with stepping outside the lane almost every pitch. She didn't ever actually step outside, but boy was it close! She quickly erases the 3B pitching lane line. :lol:
Last edited by cuzmail on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
There's one in every crowd!
cuzmail

by cuzmail » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:03 am

ontheblack wrote:I have watched a boatload of video of Traina pitching and what you describe is not her typical mechanics. She frequently throws the ball into her glove, steps to the PP, takes the signs with both arms at her side, then brings her hands together as she begins.

Its rare that a pitcher of her caliber would have such significant changes in her routine.

Unfortunately I cant find any tape of her at A&M this last week. Did you take any video or pics?

I did, but I can't get a jpg screenshot or video uploaded?
cuzmail

by cuzmail » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:15 am

Finally!!!! it uploaded.
This is what we saw every time from Traina.
Attachments
Traina.2.jpg
Traina.2.jpg (47.25 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
cuzmail

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner