Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Circle Violation Clarification - Pitcher hand positioning

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:33 am

UmpSteve wrote:Impossible, IMO, to name every thing that is or isn't. I teach this as the "reasonable man" theory.

Short version, if any action by the pitcher would/should/could make a reasonable person react, then the runner has the right to react. If the umpire believes any action by the pitcher is solely intended to make the runner react, then the runner has the right to react to that action.

I teach it in a similar manner, but in my version, the "reasonable man" is always the umpire since it is his/her judgment by which the rule is applied. I tell the umpire that if they see the pitcher act in a manner which makes them feel that s/he needs to be prepared to make a call, then it is enough for the runner to react in the same manner.

And, yes, the umpire should always be prepared to make a call if necessary, but the umpire will know to what I am referring when s/he feels it. :)
MTR

by Anti-Clone » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:23 am

Bretman wrote:
rfmnz wrote:Thanks for the ASA rule. Appreciate your help.

Just remember that the Rules Supplements are not Playing Rules.

They are intended to explain, define and interpret the playing rules, not supersede them. In case of any conflict, the actual rule will trump the supplements. Sometimes, when discussing a rule with many possible scenarios (like this one, where it would be impossible to precisely quantify every possible action by a pitcher that might constitute making a play), they do tend to oversimplify or generalize the explanations.

I think this is such a case. Using ANY action by the pitcher that a runner reacts to is just too broad an umbrella.

The R/S does not contradict the Rule. It expands it. So there isn't a conflict.
Anti-Clone

by Bretman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:29 am

Anti-Clone wrote:The R/S does not contradict the Rule. It expands it. So there isn't a conflict.

If a R/S can't supersede a playing rule, then I don't see how it can expand (add to,modify or revise) it either.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Anti-Clone » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:57 pm

Bretman wrote:
Anti-Clone wrote:The R/S does not contradict the Rule. It expands it. So there isn't a conflict.

If a R/S can't supersede a playing rule, then I don't see how it can expand (add to,modify or revise) it either.

Easy: It clarifies it. It doesn't contradict it.

This is more proof that ASA has screwed up royally when the changed the definition of "making a play."

Answer this for me, please. How can ASA say that making a fake throw is considered making a play? If they are going to define making a play as an attempt by the defense to retire an offensive player, how could they argue that faking a throw is making a play? How is it possible to have an attempt to retire an offensive player if the ball is 30 feet away in a player's hand and she never throws it? It's absolutely absurd.
Anti-Clone

by tcannizzo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Anti-Clone wrote:
Bretman wrote:

This is more proof that ASA has screwed up royally when the changed the definition of "making a play."

Answer this for me, please. How can ASA say that making a fake throw is considered making a play? If they are going to define making a play as an attempt by the defense to retire an offensive player, how could they argue that faking a throw is making a play? How is it possible to have an attempt to retire an offensive player if the ball is 30 feet away in a player's hand and she never throws it? It's absolutely absurd.

Are you serious? Ever seen a player picked off that originated from a fake throw?
If yes, then your post is absurd.
If no, then your post is absurd.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by Battle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:30 pm

tcannizzo wrote:
Anti-Clone wrote:
Bretman wrote:

Are you serious? Ever seen a player picked off that originated from a fake throw?

Can a put out be made on a fake throw only?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Bretman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:36 pm

Anti-Clone wrote:Answer this for me, please. How can ASA say that making a fake throw is considered making a play? If they are going to define making a play as an attempt by the defense to retire an offensive player, how could they argue that faking a throw is making a play? How is it possible to have an attempt to retire an offensive player if the ball is 30 feet away in a player's hand and she never throws it? It's absolutely absurd.

Easy: For the purpose of the look back rule, and that rule only, the "fake play" is the lone exception. It is a special case that applies only in one special circumstance.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Anti-Clone » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:10 am

tcannizzo wrote:
Anti-Clone wrote:
Bretman wrote:
Anti-Clone wrote:

Ooooh, so now a "play" is defined as "everything that occurs prior to the actual attempt to execute an out."

I see. I'll keep that in mind when I hit the field later...
Anti-Clone

by ontheblack » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:47 am

Clone, how is the runner supposed to know whether or not its a "fake" play?
ontheblack

by MTR » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Anti-Clone wrote:
The R/S does not contradict the Rule. It expands it. So there isn't a conflict.

Since ASA clearly and specifically defines "play", it may. Nowhere can I find anything states the offense determines what a play is.
MTR

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner