Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Make the Call: IP or Not?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Comp » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:45 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:And if this had been NFHS ?

Same basic pitching rules. Only slight variations such as allowing the step back.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Comp wrote:

Same basic pitching rules. Only slight variations such as allowing the step back.

Educate me ... Because in NFHS only one foot needs to be in contact with the rubber, so she would already be restricted to not moving the ball back and forth from one hand to the next ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Comp wrote:

Educate me ... Because in NFHS only one foot needs to be in contact with the rubber, so she would already be restricted to not moving the ball back and forth from one hand to the next ...

My comment was in response to the original post of the pitcher having her left toe on the pitching plate and her pivot foot back. FED only requires 1 foot, but it must be the pivot foot that is engaged. Toeing the plate with the stride foot means nothing.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:59 am

Comp wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Comp wrote:

My comment was in response to the original post of the pitcher having her left toe on the pitching plate and her pivot foot back. FED only requires 1 foot, but it must be the pivot foot that is engaged. Toeing the plate with the stride foot means nothing.

Yeah ... After I posted I realized that the OP stated only the toe of the stride foot was touching ... I was thinking toe of the 'pivot' foot which would make it an IP if that is how she delivered the pitch ... But not in the OP case because she was not yet on the rubber while tossing the ball back in forth between her hands ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:05 am

Not sure you would even have anything if the toe of her pivot foot was just touching. FED requires the pivot foot to be on top of, or at least partially on top of the pitching plate.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:19 am

Comp wrote:Not sure you would even have anything if the toe of her pivot foot was just touching. FED requires the pivot foot to be on top of, or at least partially on top of the pitching plate.

Where I was going with that, was that IF she delivered the pitch with just her toe of the pivot foot touching, it would be an IP ... NFHS page 48, Figure 6-1, diagram #6
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner