Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Pinch runner scores - who gets run?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by HardA**Mom » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:32 am

Batter singles. Pinch runner comes in for her. Pinch runner steals 2nd and scores on next batter's home run. Is this the correct scoring scenario (and rationale):

The batter "earned" first base and is credited with a run scored. Pinch runner "earned" 2nd and is credited with the stolen base. (Similarly, if the pinch runner was thrown out attempting to steal 2nd, that "caught stealing" would be credited to the pinch runner. The home run hitter is credited with 2 RBIs.

Thanks!
HardA**Mom

by UmpSteve » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:40 am

HardA**Mom wrote:Batter singles. Pinch runner comes in for her. Pinch runner steals 2nd and scores on next batter's home run. Is this the correct scoring scenario (and rationale):

The batter "earned" first base and is credited with a run scored. Pinch runner "earned" 2nd and is credited with the stolen base. (Similarly, if the pinch runner was thrown out attempting to steal 2nd, that "caught stealing" would be credited to the pinch runner. The home run hitter is credited with 2 RBIs.

Thanks!

Pinch runners are substitutes, and they keep ALL their own stats. That person gets steals, runs scored, caught stealing; everything they do, as long as they are in the game. The batter stops getting stats as soon as she leaves the game.

If you mean "courtesy runners" for pitcher and catcher, the runs they score are typically credited to the original batter.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Makina » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:22 am

What if CR steals 2nd and 3rd. Then steals Home. Does the Original batter still get credit for the Run?
Makina

by HardA**Mom » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 am

I don't see anything in the softball or baseball rule books that cover these scenarios. With all due respect to the generous participants in this forum (upon whom I depend regularly for guidance and I regularly lurk!) - it seems as if it's completely up to the official scorekeeper re: who to credit for the run and stolen base. Unless I've just been missing the official rules citations - can anyone point me to it (them)?
HardA**Mom

by jonriv » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 am

I know in college the PR gets credit for any Stolen Bases or Runs
jonriv

by HardA**Mom » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:41 am

I have no reason to doubt Ump Steve (or anyone else, for that matter) but I still would like to know if there's an official reference in any baseball or softball rule book. If not, then it still seems to be up to the scorekeeper/manager/umpire/league/etc. What am I missing?
HardA**Mom

by ontheblack » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:13 pm

HardA**Mom wrote:I have no reason to doubt Ump Steve (or anyone else, for that matter) but I still would like to know if there's an official reference in any baseball or softball rule book. If not, then it still seems to be up to the scorekeeper/manager/umpire/league/etc. What am I missing?

You are hung up on the term "pinch runner'. I dont believe ASA mentions this by name because it is considered a straight substitution, per Steve's comments above.

Just as a player who goes into LF as a substitute would have her own stats, so does the substitute who goes into the game on offense.

You did pick the right nickname, though.
ontheblack

by ontheblack » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:43 pm

For NFHS, section 3-3 covers substitutes.
ontheblack

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 pm

My DD is not the fastest runner and occasionally gets a pinch runner.

My mother-in-law asks me the same question every time the pinch runner scores.

The conversation goes something like this:

Mom-in-law: "Does she (my DD) get credit for the run?"

Me, "No."

Her: "That doesn't seem fair."

Me: "There's no guarantee that (DD) would have scored if she were running, that's why they bring in a faster runner."

Moral of the story - Don't act like an overzealous grandma and just be happy (like I am) that your DD is getting on base.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:35 pm

HardA**Mom wrote:I have no reason to doubt Ump Steve (or anyone else, for that matter) but I still would like to know if there's an official reference in any baseball or softball rule book. If not, then it still seems to be up to the scorekeeper/manager/umpire/league/etc. What am I missing?

The only rule I can find that specifically says it is NAIA Baseball because it is a modification to NCAA rules to allow courtesy runners. They state the CR is credited with runs, stolen bases and caught stealing.

All the rule sets just refer to the "runner" which means the current player. That is consistent with MLB stats and reputable automated scorekeeping software.

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't also apply to courtesy runners. They've entered the game - they just don't count as a substitution or become part of the line-up. The scorekeeper needs to track their play in case the offense tries to violate a CR rule.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner