Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

2nd Base Obstruction Call

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by aarmas562 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:22 am

Just have a quick questions on the ruling of a play. :geek:

Runner at first attempting to steal second. Play on opposing team approaches/sets up to field ball on the "running lane" from first to second causing runner to have to go around her. Runner is thrown out/caught stealing. Second baseman did not even go to back up the throw but just stayed where she was fielding.

Just curious on ruling, if it should be ruled an obstruction or was the second baseman in all her right to just stand there? :? :?:

Is this one of those defensive "Trick Plays?" lol ;)
aarmas562
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 am

A defender not in posession of the ball, and not making a play on a batted ball may not hinder the progress of an offensive player. The defense may set up anywhere they like, but if they do not have the ball and are not fielding a batted ball and the runner is forced to go around them it should be obstruction.
Comp

by Gulf Coast Blue » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:34 pm

Comp wrote:A defender not in posession of the ball, and not making a play on a batted ball may not hinder the progress of an offensive player. The defense may set up anywhere they like, but if they do not have the ball and are not fielding a batted ball and the runner is forced to go around them it should be obstruction.

^^^^^^^This.

Joel
Gulf Coast Blue

by 8u/10udad » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:42 pm

On that note, what if the runner slows down and gets in the way of the fielder trying to field the ball. No contact is made the with fielder, but, the runner, slowed to block her view of the ball.
8u/10udad

by Comp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:49 pm

A runner who stutter steps, slows down, stops etc in front of a fielder making a play on a batted ball would be guilty of interference. As long as they do not do anything intentional to distract the fielder it is perfectly legal to run in front of the them as long as they are given room to field the ball.
Comp

by fastpitchforever » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:52 am

Saw this happen in the Texas-Iowa State game this weekend. Ground ball hit to F6, runner leaves second and passes between ball and F6, blocking F6 view of the ball. F6 unable to make the play, and all runners are called safe. The runner did not slow down or intentionally block, but IMO did not give F6 room to field the ball as they were close enough to touch as they passed.
fastpitchforever
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ajaywill » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:53 pm

fastpitchforever wrote:Saw this happen in the Texas-Iowa State game this weekend. Ground ball hit to F6, runner leaves second and passes between ball and F6, blocking F6 view of the ball. F6 unable to make the play, and all runners are called safe. The runner did not slow down or intentionally block, but IMO did not give F6 room to field the ball as they were close enough to touch as they passed.

Even though the text of the interference rule in NCAA is similar to other codes, the interpretation is that there needs to be contact in that situation to justify an interference call.
ajaywill

by softballfan33 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:24 pm

Along these same lines, have the umpires been instructed to be more "vigilent" of this type of thing this year? Sort of the same as a few years ago with the illegal pitches and the out of the box on a slap?

I have seen more interference calls in last weekends tournament than in my memory of my DD playing TB. Runners running from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, 10 ft in front of the second baseman or shortstop (who is playing deep, basically in the grass for one reason or another), where the fielder cleanly fields the ball and throws out the kid at first but they call a dead ball, lead runner out, and leave batted runner on first. Saw this 3 times this last weekend at one tournament and not the same umpire either. The runner was not touched by the ball so this is not the rule in effect.

Even the defensive coach was trying to figure out what was going on...

One game in particular we were behind the dugout getting ready for our game and I heard coach tell asst coach in dugout that he called interference on the runner for obstructing the fielder. I was surprised since the fielder had no problems receiving the ball and throwing out the kid at first. 14U ASA was the rule set.

I have heard that sometimes there is a push to "clean up" bad activities that have gotten out of hand or teams are pushing the limits of. I was just wondering if this was one. I know that many times you see kids hesitate and slow down before reaching a fielder or even jump over a ball heading to the next base, my DD has done this and had it done to her and as long as there was no contact, we always considered it no foul, both ways....
softballfan33

Return to The Umpire Corner