Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

The Crow Hop

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by realcoach » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:08 pm

HS playoffs are coming, and IMO we are getting ready for a return visit to the home turf of the most obvious crow hopping pitcher the world has ever seen. When the pitcher replants and then actually pushes her body a different direction than her original push took her, it sure looks like a crow hop to me. My question is, why is this replant rarely called illegal? Do I misunderstand the rule? Why have a rule if it isn't enforced, and should we teach all our pitchers to crow hop?
realcoach

by Comp » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 pm

If she is illegal and the umpires arent calling it then they arent doing their job. If you really feel she is illegal why dont you get video of her and go the the HS interschoolastic association and see what they have to say?
Comp

by realcoach » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Yes, thank you, my next question was how to be polite and challenge the umpires to look closer at this before we play the next round. Video and a discussion beforehand is a good approach.

However, its my observation that the replant is rarely called no matter how obvious, at high school or college level. Am I wrong?
realcoach

by Comp » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:40 pm

I did not say to confront the umpires with video. I suggested if she was truly illegal to go to your HS interschoolastic association and present the evidence to them. They are essentially the umpires bosses and see what they have to say.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:15 am

realcoach wrote:HS playoffs are coming, and IMO we are getting ready for a return visit to the home turf of the most obvious crow hopping pitcher the world has ever seen. When the pitcher replants and then actually pushes her body a different direction than her original push took her, it sure looks like a crow hop to me. My question is, why is this replant rarely called illegal? Do I misunderstand the rule? Why have a rule if it isn't enforced, and should we teach all our pitchers to crow hop?

Can you describe her pitching motion and give us an idea where the ball is when all this is taking place ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Diesels_dad » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:53 am

I ve had umpires explain to me that the reason her drag foot is not touching is because of field. Basically, a hole had formed from those dragging toe thru china. Other games that did not have a “fox hoe” in front of mound, they said as long as the toe is pointing downward n there is only a “little” space between … WTH does "little" mean???? :x
Diesels_dad

by Comp » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:15 am

If there is a hole the umpire is correct, as long as the foot is no higher than the surrounding ground. Now, if the umpire tells you as long as the pitcher has the toe down it is ok, they are wrong. If they can see space under the foot and it is above the level of the surrounding ground, it is a leap and should be called.
Comp

by hogtyed » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:24 am

It sure would be nice if the fields maintenance peeps put some clay brick in front of the pitcher's plate. At that point, let them drag away!
hogtyed

by Tangled up in blue » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:28 am

realcoach wrote: My question is, why is this replant rarely called illegal? Do I misunderstand the rule? Why have a rule if it isn't enforced, and should we teach all our pitchers to crow hop?

According to NFHS rules and interpretations, there is no such violation as a "replant." If the pitcher begins the pitch (i.e. her hands break) while the pivot foot is in contact with the pitcher's plate and the pivot pushes and drags (or, in the case of a hole, is "not higher than the ground if the ground here there"), it is a legal pitch. A "crow hop" is when the pitcher begins the pitch from somewhere in front of the pitcher's plate (i.e. "replanting prior to starting the pitch").

This is also the interpretation for ASA and NCAA; the only addition is that in NCAA the pivot foot must remain in contact with the ground.

Of course, all three the non-pivot must land within the 24".
Tangled up in blue

by realcoach » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Here is a photo of the example, artfully photoshopped to hide the player identity. Note the pitching plate 2 feet behind the right foot, planted as she begins her push to bring her arm down. Also note the flying dirt from the right foot dragging (flat), perhaps this drag is why it is not called, as it is not a crow hop?

crow.jpg
crow.jpg (124.27 KiB) Viewed 7108 times
realcoach

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner