Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Good Morning Umpires - Run Down

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by SoCalASABlue » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm

UmpSteve wrote:Must pull bat back if squared to bunt or considered an attempt in NFHS; not so in ASA.

16 games into the HS season here in San Diego - have NOT seen this called correctly yet.
SoCalASABlue

by bart16761 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks guys I appreciate the education!

Be Well
bart16761
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tangled up in blue » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:47 am

Comp wrote:
ASA, on a pop fly ball (fair or foul) that can be caught with normal effort, if the defender is interfered with both the runner who interferred and the batter are out. In FED, only the runner who interfered is out. If the ball was in foul ground, the ball is dead and a strike on the batter, if in fair ground the batter is awarded 1st base on the interference.

ASA and FED are the same for a fair fly ball (both the runner and batter are out), the only difference is the foul ball (ASA both are out, FED the runner is out and a strike on the batter).
Tangled up in blue

by Comp » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Tangled up in blue wrote:
Comp wrote:
ASA, on a pop fly ball (fair or foul) that can be caught with normal effort, if the defender is interfered with both the runner who interferred and the batter are out. In FED, only the runner who interfered is out. If the ball was in foul ground, the ball is dead and a strike on the batter, if in fair ground the batter is awarded 1st base on the interference.

ASA and FED are the same for a fair fly ball (both the runner and batter are out), the only difference is the foul ball (ASA both are out, FED the runner is out and a strike on the batter).

FED rules citation? Only citation I can find is 8-6-10-a. Penalty is runner is out, batter runner awarded 1st base.
Comp

by Tangled up in blue » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:56 am

Comp wrote:
Tangled up in blue wrote:
Comp wrote:

FED rules citation? Only citation I can find is 8-6-10-a. Penalty is runner is out, batter runner awarded 1st base.

Read the rest of the penalty (it continues on the next page).
Tangled up in blue

by Comp » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:36 am

That is addressing the 2 situations in the last sentence of the penalty. If the batter is attempting to bunt with 2 strikes, ball is popped foul and the defender is interfered with, or in slow pitch when strike 3 is in foul territory and the defender is interfered with. Then the batter would also be called out.
Comp

by GoKorea » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:42 am

Spazsdad wrote:
bart16761 wrote:
PDad wrote:
bart16761 wrote:Playing High School in So.Cal ASA Rules. ...

:? What HS plays by ASA rules? Wouldn't matter in this case...
I could be wrong about that that is what we were told by the same guy who said why does this always happen to me. We play in SO Cal Div 1 if you have information that we are playing by another set of rules I would like to know that. Thanks!

HS plays under NFHS rules. many similarities with ASA but also some big differences.

All HS don't use NFHS softball rules, some do use ASA rules. I know New York does (or did till I left in 2010) with modifications.
GoKorea

by MTR » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:22 am

GoKorea wrote:All HS don't use NFHS softball rules, some do use ASA rules. I know New York does (or did till I left in 2010) with modifications.

Not only that, but the state association may modify any of the rules as they see fit for the games in their state.
MTR

by Anti-Clone » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:58 pm

PDad wrote:
bart16761 wrote:Playing High School in So.Cal ASA Rules. ...

:? What HS plays by ASA rules? Wouldn't matter in this case...

All of NYS does.
Anti-Clone

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner