Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Interference Question

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by hit4power » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Playing NCAA....

R2 on 2B, R3 on 1B, 1 out. B4 hits one to the fence in left-center. R2 crosses the plate, R3 is around 3B when BR collides with F6 as F6 is about to receive the relay throw from F8. Interference is ruled. Where should the runners be placed and how many, if any, runs score?
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:45 pm

Interference was ruled? Unless the BR did something to purposely interfere, I dont agree with the call. F6 was not in the act of fielding a batted ball, and was not in posession of the ball. That would make F6 guilty of obstruction if they hindered the advance of the BR.

What game was this and is there any video of the play?
Comp

by MTR » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:29 am

hit4power wrote:Playing NCAA....

R2 on 2B, R3 on 1B, 1 out. B4 hits one to the fence in left-center. R2 crosses the plate, R3 is around 3B when BR collides with F6 as F6 is about to receive the relay throw from F8. Interference is ruled. Where should the runners be placed and how many, if any, runs score?

You didn't say if the ball actually reached F6.

If the runner got to F6 before the ball, F6 was NOT "about to receive" the ball and that is important in NCAA and is the difference between obstruction and legal play.

IF the umpires ruled INT (which sounds incorrect, barring intent by R3), any run which scored counts, R3 is declared out and the BR/R4 is placed on the last base touched at the time of the INT.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:01 am

What college team positions F6 on the inside of the diamond between 3rd & home for the cut off on a ball hit to the fence in left center ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by hit4power » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:30 am

Interference was ruled? Unless the BR did something to purposely interfere, I dont agree with the call. F6 was not in the act of fielding a batted ball, and was not in posession of the ball. That would make F6 guilty of obstruction if they hindered the advance of the BR.

Well, that's what I thought, too.

What game was this and is there any video of the play?

There is video, but the collision is off camera, so I have to go by what I was told.

What college team positions F6 on the inside of the diamond between 3rd & home for the cut off on a ball hit to the fence in left center ?

Good Question - I don't have an answer since the video is shot from CF and all I can see is runners scoring. NOt sure where F6 was initially set up and how she ended up in the base path of BR.

You guys have answered my fundamental question - absent a deliberate action by BR, it doesn't sound like INT. I'll have to see if I can learn more from someone at the game.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:35 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Where does it say F6 is inside the diamond?
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:11 pm

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

BR was around 3rd base ... But I should have said inside the diamond OR between 3rd base and home ... Most likely by the description she WAS outside of the diamond in foul ground ... So, what college team positions F6 for an interior cut when a ball is hit to the fence between F7 & F8 ? My point being that that cut is usually taken by F3, sometimes F1 ... But never F6 ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by PDad » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:27 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Perhaps OP meant R3 was "in the vicinity of" 3B rather than "past" 3B...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:14 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

BR was around 3rd base ... But I should have said inside the diamond OR between 3rd base and home ... Most likely by the description she WAS outside of the diamond in foul ground ... So, what college team positions F6 for an interior cut when a ball is hit to the fence between F7 & F8 ? My point being that that cut is usually taken by F3, sometimes F1 ... But never F6 ...

OP state R3, not BR around 3rd base when BR collides with F6. Doesn't say where that collision took place.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:38 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

OP state R3, not BR around 3rd base when BR collides with F6. Doesn't say where that collision took place.

You're right ... I was mis-reading it :oops:
GIMNEPIWO

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner