Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Batter Runner interference

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GoKorea » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:12 am

I want to verify a rulling, which I think I got wrong after checking the rule book this morning:

ASA (U12) Runners on 2nd (R2) and 3rd (R1), Count is 1-3 on the batter (B3), 1 out. Ball four gets away from the catcher and B3 doesn't move out of the box either toward 1st base or away from the throw coming from the catcher to the pitcher at the plate.

I call interfence on the B3 and call R1 out and place B3 on 1st Base. I didn't put R2 back on 2nd base as I should have (she had advanced to 3rd) (I know I missed this after a pitch had been thrown).

Looking at the rules (8-2-G) I should have called B3 and R1 out, which would have resulted in the end of the inning.

Is this correct on how I should have ruled?
GoKorea

by Comp » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 am

If you felt the batter interfered in attempt to prevent an out at home plate, then yes.
Comp

by UmpSteve » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:51 pm

GoKorea wrote:I want to verify a rulling, which I think I got wrong after checking the rule book this morning:

ASA (U12) Runners on 2nd (R2) and 3rd (R1), Count is 1-3 on the batter (B3), 1 out. Ball four gets away from the catcher and B3 doesn't move out of the box either toward 1st base or away from the throw coming from the catcher to the pitcher at the plate.

I call interfence on the B3 and call R1 out and place B3 on 1st Base. I didn't put R2 back on 2nd base as I should have (she had advanced to 3rd) (I know I missed this after a pitch had been thrown).

Looking at the rules (8-2-G) I should have called B3 and R1 out, which would have resulted in the end of the inning.

Let's look at a couple of things. I suspect you mean 12U (which is what ASA calls it, not U12, which is a soccer version of describing an age group, and truly means something very different), and you mean the count was 3-1 (we always say balls first, then strikes, not the other way around.)

And the count is key. If not for being ball 4, then this person is still a batter; and under 7.6-S, the batter is out, NOT the runner, and BOTH runners are to be returned to the base occupied at the time of the interference. So your ruling is incorrect in ASA even with a different count.

But your play has ball 4, so this person is now a batter-runner who has interfered, ans 8.2-G makes both batter-runner and the runner out.

Remember the most basic rules of interference in ASA; 1) the ball is dead, 2) the person that interferes is out, and 3) other runners return. That covers 90%+ of all interference calls.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:16 pm

GoKorea wrote:I want to verify a rulling, which I think I got wrong after checking the rule book this morning:

Don't know, what did BR do to INT? Just standing there is not a good thing, but it isn't INT unless his/her presence actually caused INT. You do not mention what happened.
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner