Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

NFHS rule interpretation

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Playing out of district and first time I've seen these guys ... At the home plate meeting the Plate Umpire says these two things :

1.) At the home plate meeting the Plate Umpire says that " No jewelry is to be worn, this is your first warning ... The next time the offender and the head Coach will be restricted to the dugout " When he said this he had seen no player with jewelry on ... So, can he issue a warning ? I was thinking not.

2.) Speaking to me, " In the future, make sure your line up card has the first and last name of the player, not just the first initial " He goes on to explain that in the event there are sisters or players with the same last name and first initial we would be able to tell them apart ... And that VHSL ( Virginia HS League ) has that rule in their handbook ... ( I researched later and they do not ) ... So I guess this guy was just making stuff up ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by THE GODFATHER » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:20 am

Don't tell me it was Bob behind the plate....
WOW if it was, I already know how the game went.
Sorry :(
LOL
THE GODFATHER

by Comp » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:16 am

It is unprofessional to issue warnings at the plate meeting for infractions that have not even happened. As for him telling you the rules require first and last name, that is not the case in FED, unless there is a local requirement. FED only requires first initial and last name. Although I would say as a coach if you have sisters who both have the same first initial it may be better to list both their first names to better identify them.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:29 am

Comp wrote:It is unprofessional to issue warnings at the plate meeting for infractions that have not even happened. As for him telling you the rules require first and last name, that is not the case in FED, unless there is a local requirement. FED only requires first initial and last name. Although I would say as a coach if you have sisters who both have the same first initial it may be better to list both their first names to better identify them.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the warning ... Had it been a warning for say an unreported sub I would have said something, in the jewelry case I did not ... As for the complete first name, the other coach had her card filled out the way he requested ... It is not a VHSL rule .... Perhaps something that they do in that district ... We play another team from that district at home tonight, I will take notice of their line up card ... Although this team is the one that had 3 DP's & 3 Flex players on their card last time we met :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:41 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Playing out of district and first time I've seen these guys ... At the home plate meeting the Plate Umpire says these two things :

1.) At the home plate meeting the Plate Umpire says that " No jewelry is to be worn, this is your first warning ... The next time the offender and the head Coach will be restricted to the dugout " When he said this he had seen no player with jewelry on ... So, can he issue a warning ? I was thinking not.

This is not good and worth a note to the VHSL. As Comp noted, warnings should not be offered until something happens which mandates or warrants a warning be issued.

2.) Speaking to me, " In the future, make sure your line up card has the first and last name of the player, not just the first initial " He goes on to explain that in the event there are sisters or players with the same last name and first initial we would be able to tell them apart ...

Yep, wouldn't want those big numeric characters on the back of the player's shirt that coincide with that on the line-up card to get in the way. But seriously, while not a "rule", I don't understand the big deal about having the first names other than there is often very little room for them :)
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:48 pm

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Playing out of district and first time I've seen these guys ... At the home plate meeting the Plate Umpire says these two things :

This is not good and worth a note to the VHSL. As Comp noted, warnings should not be offered until something happens which mandates or warrants a warning be issued.

2.) Speaking to me, " In the future, make sure your line up card has the first and last name of the player, not just the first initial " He goes on to explain that in the event there are sisters or players with the same last name and first initial we would be able to tell them apart ...

Yep, wouldn't want those big numeric characters on the back of the player's shirt that coincide with that on the line-up card to get in the way. But seriously, while not a "rule", I don't understand the big deal about having the first names other than there is often very little room for them :)

Not a big deal to do it ... Just that ( as you know ) it is not the NFHS rule ... A few years back, there were some twins ( not mine ) who routinely changed jerseys because they wanted to bat or play in their sisters position ... Maybe we need to tatoo their HS number on their forearms ? :lol:
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:42 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Not a big deal to do it ... Just that ( as you know ) it is not the NFHS rule ...

Yeah, but not bringing stuff like this just perpetuates a bad situation with which no one should need to deal. Not only that, but local legends often end up where they think they belong and clearly do not once experienced by others than local, like you did :)

A few years back, there were some twins ( not mine ) who routinely changed jerseys because they wanted to bat or play in their sisters position ... Maybe we need to tatoo their HS number on their forearms ?

Better not say that too loud, or the next thing you know someone will want to outlaw twins on the same team :lol:
MTR

by Comp » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:06 am

A few years back, there were some twins ( not mine ) who routinely changed jerseys because they wanted to bat or play in their sisters position ... Maybe we need to tatoo their HS number on their forearms ?

I may have mentioned this before in the past, but several years back at ASA 18 nationals this exact situation occured on the field next to us. One of the teams had a pair of sisters and the coach had used up one of the sisters re-entries. At a critical point in the game he wanted the one who was no longer eligible to bat, had the girls switch jerseys and inserted her back into the lineup. Im not sure how they got caught, but the game was down for a good 30 minutes while it was being discussed.
Comp

Return to The Umpire Corner