Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

What's the call here?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by lvtwft » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:41 pm

Right handed batter, drops down a bunt with some good back spin . Starts to run to first, she sees the ball coming toward her and jumps into left handed batters box( on purpose or not) Right before ball hits her.
Is she out since she left the batters box, or dead ball it hit her in batters box?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

by Comp » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:21 am

lvtwft wrote:Right handed batter, drops down a bunt with some good back spin . Starts to run to first, she sees the ball coming toward her and jumps into left handed batters box( on purpose or not) Right before ball hits her.
Is she out since she left the batters box, or dead ball it hit her in batters box?

First question is, portions of the batters box are both in fair and foul territory. When she jumps into the other batters box is she hit by the ball in fair or foul area? If she is in foul, you have nothing but a foul ball. If she is in fair territory, is that her batters box? No, you have a batter/runner who has been hit by a fair batted ball out of the batters box and is out.
Comp

by LeftyHitter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:08 pm

I thought there was a discussion last year about this and the player being in the batter's box had no bearing on the call. The decision is has the batter turned into a batter runner. If she's no longer in the process of swinging or in this case bunting and is now in the process of running to first base and she is hit in fair territory, she is out. Like Comp said, if she was hit in foul territory, in either box or anywhere else, it's a foul ball. I'm not an umpire and am just stating what I recall was said in this forum, so I may be wrong.
LeftyHitter

by Anti-Clone » Wed May 01, 2013 5:48 pm

The first question is: Was she in or out of the batter's box?
The second question is: If she was out of the batter's box, was the ball fair or foul at the time of contact?
Anti-Clone

by Bretman » Thu May 02, 2013 6:40 am

And to clarify to the first poster...

By "in the batter's box" we mean the batter's box on the same side of the plate that the batter was positioned to receive the pitch.

The opposite batter's box offers her no protection. For all intents and purposes, it doesn't even exist on this play.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

Return to The Umpire Corner