Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Subsitute for Pitcher

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GoKorea » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Had a HS game (I was base umpire) last night played under Federation rules. In the top of the 7th Inning with the home team winning (22-20)(yes this was a three hour game) The Home team coach changes the pitcher out with the 1st baseman. After the replacement pitcher finishes her warm ups and before the pitcher throws any pitches, the coach again changes out the pitcher with a player already in the game. My question: Is the pitcher required to throw any pitches before the 2nd change. I don't see a requirement in the rule book and I checked the ASA book too and cannot find a requirement there, either. I asked my UIC and she said there wasn't a requirement either. What say the forum?
GoKorea

by rowdyone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:27 pm

I was always under the impression that if a player steps on the rubber and throws a pitch they must throw one pitch to a batter
things happen for a reason your job is find the reason
rowdyone

by UmpSteve » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:18 pm

Let's go with a rule. Given that you are calling with NFHS rules, can we assume you have a rule book and could refer to it? Have you found any rule that says another defensive change cannot be made without throwing a pitch?

3-1-6 "A player may change to a different fielding position at any time, except as in 3-3-2 Note."

3-3-2 Note: "A pitcher may be removed as a pitcher and return as a pitcher only once per inning provided the return does not violate either the substitution or charged conference rule."
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GoKorea » Wed May 01, 2013 4:41 am

Steve, That is all I saw too and didn't see anything against the double change.

Rowdy, I was under that thought too, but there is no rule I can find to back it up.]
GoKorea

by Makina » Wed May 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Do u know why the coach did this? Was it a tactic to delay the game? Did u allow the 2nd pitcher warm up pitches? :geek:
Makina

by MTR » Wed May 01, 2013 7:50 pm

GoKorea wrote:Steve, That is all I saw too and didn't see anything against the double change.

Rowdy, I was under that thought too, but there is no rule I can find to back it up.]

You are not going to find a rule to back up something that does not exists.
MTR

by GoKorea » Thu May 02, 2013 4:05 am

Makina wrote:Do u know why the coach did this? Was it a tactic to delay the game? Did u allow the 2nd pitcher warm up pitches? :geek:

Makina, I was the base umpire so I don't know why the coach did this. No it was a delay and not sure why you ask this. Yes the 2nd pitcher warmed up.
GoKorea

by Makina » Thu May 02, 2013 10:39 am

Just trying to determine why he would do such a thing. If trying to deliberately stall/delay the game (not sure if your game has a time limit) you could start enforcing other types of unsportsman like rulings. Just my Rec Ball mind thinking about all the tricks that coaches try. :P
Makina

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri May 03, 2013 3:56 am

Makina wrote:Just trying to determine why he would do such a thing. If trying to deliberately stall/delay the game (not sure if your game has a time limit) you could start enforcing other types of unsportsman like rulings. Just my Rec Ball mind thinking about all the tricks that coaches try. :P

Actually, I almost did this two nights ago ... My pitcher was struggling and brought F6 in to pitch ... She threw her warm ups and as I reminded her of the situation ( bases loaded 1 out ), I notice she is tearing up ... I said "You OK? " She says " No, I'm sick, I've been feeling bad all day " ... I almost went to another pitcher but she said she could do a few batters ... :cry: She didn't, I should have made the change.

Another possible reason could be the coach noticing during her warm ups that she didn't have her good stuff ... But just as likely it was a delaying tactic to break the other teams momentum.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by UmpSteve » Fri May 03, 2013 10:01 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:~snip~

Actually, I almost did this two nights ago ... My pitcher was struggling and brought F6 in to pitch ... She threw her warm ups and as I reminded her of the situation ( bases loaded 1 out ), I notice

To those watching and maybe not fully in tune with the relationship here ....

This is NOT an umpire (in this situation) reminding the relief pitcher of the game situation; that isn't something done at ANY reasonable level, and shouldn't be done at ANY LEVEL AT ALL, because ....

This is a coach (in this situation) coaching his team. That is what coaches do, not what umpires are supposed to do.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner