Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Check Swings

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Ed Hill » Mon May 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Let me preface this post by saying that I am not a coach but just a spectator. I was watching my niece's 14U team play a bracket game this weekend in an ASA tournament. The opposing coach obviously had a different idea of what the strike zone should be than that of the plate umpire. His verbal grumblings became louder as the game progressed. In about the 3rd inning, he started yelling at his catcher to have the home plate umpire check the swing on just about every pitch that was thrown. The home plate ump humored him on about the first 5 requests but then started to ignore his catchers requests to check the swing. The opposing coach got really chapped at this and was eventually tossed from the game when he yelled that they didn't travel 6 hours just to "get jobbed by a "home town ump". I have no idea where the home plate up was from but my question is this. Is the home plate required to honor a request to check a swing or is this something that is done at the discretion of the plate umpire? It seemed to me that the opposing coach was doing this to kind of show up the home plate ump. On some of the pitches, the bat never left the shoulder of the batter so there was no question about them having offered at a pitch.
Ed Hill

by Comp » Mon May 06, 2013 2:43 pm

As far as I know, NCAA is the only rules set that requires the umpire to go for help when asked on a check swing.
Comp

by GoKorea » Mon May 06, 2013 5:27 pm

And with the exception of NCAA I am not going to check on a "check swing" when the bat is still on the batters shoulder.
GoKorea

by Diesels_dad » Tue May 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Two questions similar to post with questioning Ump.

Does a batter have a right to hold up pitch by holding her hand up until set ? (specifically telling batter to put hand down, homie dont play that )

Can Umpire deny coach asking other umpire for help? (calling runner out, illegal pitch – toe on rubber, other)
Diesels_dad

by topper » Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 pm

Diesels_dad wrote:Does a batter have a right to hold up pitch by holding her hand up until set ? (specifically telling batter to put hand down, homie dont play that )

The batter can request time by holding her hand up, but may be denied. Hopefully not in the way you describe.

Diesels_dad wrote:Can Umpire deny coach asking other umpire for help? (calling runner out, illegal pitch – toe on rubber, other)

Yes.
topper

by ajaywill » Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 pm

GoKorea wrote:And with the exception of NCAA I am not going to check on a "check swing" when the bat is still on the batters shoulder.

In an NCAA game, if it is apparent the coach is making the request with the intent to show me up or just to be an a** hat, I will go to my partner, then coach and I will have a little chat.
ajaywill

by PDad » Tue May 07, 2013 1:13 pm

topper wrote:
Diesels_dad wrote:Does a batter have a right to hold up pitch by holding her hand up until set? (specifically telling batter to put hand down, homie dont play that )

The batter can request time by holding her hand up, but may be denied. Hopefully not in the way you describe.

D_Dad asked "until set" which sounds like the batter isn't in their batting stance yet. Does that make a difference?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Tue May 07, 2013 1:36 pm

PDad wrote:
topper wrote:
Diesels_dad wrote:Does a batter have a right to hold up pitch by holding her hand up until set? (specifically telling batter to put hand down, homie dont play that )

D_Dad asked "until set" which sounds like the batter isn't in their batting stance yet. Does that make a difference?

The batter is to be given enough time to get set; anything less is a quick pitch.

But, the batter is NOT given additional time to perform rituals in the batter's box; get in, get set with her head up, be ready to bat.

The batter has no more than 10 seconds from the time the pitcher receives the ball to be in the box AND ready to bat in NFHS and NCAA; anything longer is a timing violation, and an automatic strike. Standing with her hand up doesn't change that, nor stop the count.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by topper » Tue May 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Sorry, not sure how I missed that. I answered the wrong question.

Most pitchers recognize this and wait for the batter to drop her hand. If she doesn't, I'll give the "do not pitch" signal if it looks like she is about to begin her motion. If that fails to stop her we'll have a "no pitch" call. I won't allow a pitcher to quick pitch.
topper

by Diesels_dad » Wed May 08, 2013 9:49 am

so batter has one foot in and one foot out.. gets sign from coach. steps in, adjusts feet, and looks up..... pitch is already coming in. coach then tells batter to hold hand up while stepping into box and adjusting feet. umpire comments (see above) . pitch is already coming. ask for time out n discuss quick pitch with ump. ump replies batter needs to be ready as soon as her second foot is in box

what would you say to ump?
Diesels_dad

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner