Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Check Swings

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Bretman » Wed May 08, 2013 10:10 am

Diesels_dad wrote:what would you say to ump?

You're an idiot?
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by jonriv » Wed May 08, 2013 11:18 am

An ump is not required to give time -even when asked
jonriv

by UmpSteve » Wed May 08, 2013 12:00 pm

Diesels_dad wrote:so batter has one foot in and one foot out.. gets sign from coach. steps in, adjusts feet, and looks up..... pitch is already coming in. coach then tells batter to hold hand up while stepping into box and adjusting feet. umpire comments (see above) . pitch is already coming. ask for time out n discuss quick pitch with ump. ump replies batter needs to be ready as soon as her second foot is in box

what would you say to ump?

"Sir, I just need some clarification, please. I understand that my batter must be set and ready within 10 seconds, and that you don't need to grant additional time if you think my batter is simply trying to control the pitcher's timing. Which of these issues apply right now?"

Depending on response, one of the following:

1) "I understand, sir; I will certainly speed up the signal process if you will make sure my batter has just a little more time to be set before you let the pitcher pitch." and/or
2) "Susie, keep your head up and watch the pitcher as you get in the box, instead of looking at your feet. You don't need to keep playing with the dirt you already put exactly where you want it, or swiping at hard ground that isn't even moving." and/or
3) "Blue, I am going to respectfully disagree with your interpretation of what is happening. I am simply asking that you give my batter just an additional moment to be ready to hit."
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SoCalASABlue » Wed May 08, 2013 12:34 pm

UmpSteve wrote:The batter is to be given enough time to get set; anything less is a quick pitch.

But, the batter is NOT given additional time to perform rituals in the batter's box; get in, get set with her head up, be ready to bat.

The batter has no more than 10 seconds from the time the pitcher receives the ball to be in the box AND ready to bat in NFHS and NCAA; anything longer is a timing violation, and an automatic strike. Standing with her hand up doesn't change that, nor stop the count.

Totally agree - but at the same time - if you're going to call "delay" strikes on the turtle batter, you need to be consistent and call "delay" balls on the turtle pitcher (usually because the pitching coach is sending nuclear launch codes as signs or because the pitcher is pissed she didn't get the previous call)...
SoCalASABlue

by Diesels_dad » Thu May 09, 2013 5:46 am

SoCalASABlue wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:The batter is to be given enough time to get set; anything less is a quick pitch.

But, the batter is NOT given additional time to perform rituals in the batter's box; get in, get set with her head up, be ready to bat.

The batter has no more than 10 seconds from the time the pitcher receives the ball to be in the box AND ready to bat in NFHS and NCAA; anything longer is a timing violation, and an automatic strike. Standing with her hand up doesn't change that, nor stop the count.

Totally agree - but at the same time - if you're going to call "delay" strikes on the turtle batter, you need to be consistent and call "delay" balls on the turtle pitcher (usually because the pitching coach is sending nuclear launch codes as signs or because the pitcher is pissed she didn't get the previous call)...

now that is funny
Diesels_dad

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner