Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Hit by Pitch

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Anti-Clone » Thu May 16, 2013 5:02 am

MTR wrote:
Anti-Clone wrote: And you will still see where the catcher catches the pitch if it is not contacted.

Curious as to why you think this is important.

This is not a "when in doubt, call 'em out" situation.

It never should be.

Importance of dropped third strike. Relevant proof, though not dispositive, of where the ball is in relation to the plate.
Anti-Clone

by Sam » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:13 am

NCAA could quickly fix the issue by making the call the responsibility of the 3B umpire. They have little else to do while the pitch is being delivered. The 3B ump can clearly observe where the slapper makes contact with the ball.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 am

Sam wrote:NCAA could quickly fix the issue by making the call the responsibility of the 3B umpire. They have little else to do while the pitch is being delivered. The 3B ump can clearly observe where the slapper makes contact with the ball.

Really? From behind 2B? And definitely tell that no part of the foot is on the line or the place where the line should be?

Of course, U3 doesn't need to watch for a runner on 1st or 3rd leaving early or an IP.

Yeah, I can see the NCAA drinking that KoolAid
MTR

by Sam » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:06 pm

MTR wrote:
Sam wrote:NCAA could quickly fix the issue by making the call the responsibility of the 3B umpire. They have little else to do while the pitch is being delivered. The 3B ump can clearly observe where the slapper makes contact with the ball.

Really? From behind 2B? And definitely tell that no part of the foot is on the line or the place where the line should be?

Of course, U3 doesn't need to watch for a runner on 1st or 3rd leaving early or an IP.

Yeah, I can see the NCAA drinking that KoolAid

How about the 1B umpire, then, since they wouldn't move to 2B with a runner on 1B. After any runner takes their lead at the point the pitch is released, that umpire can the focus nearly solely on the slapper's position in or out of the box and they have the angle to make the call. The HP ump has to be prepared to call the pitch and can have their view of the slapper's body position blocked by the catcher and the slapper.

I think it's an easier call for a corner umpire. Just my opinion......it never gets called anyway.

OBTW: the situation that happens more often and isn't called is the LH batters who bunt while they are stepping on HP. The umpire gets blocked by the catcher on that one quite a bit also.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:18 pm

Splitting decisions like this is tough. It can also lead to pretty big arguments. Think of scenarios where the game is on the line.

Like bases loaded tie game home team up, 2 outs. Plate umpire correctly rules ball 4, batter walks. Winning run should walk in, game over. 1b says she stepped on the plate, batter is out, next inning. That happens, it is going to get super strange very fast.

Same as plate ump calling foul ball and field ump calling fair.

I actually think plate umps can see this better than discussed here. It tends to be a convenient no call. Cannot blame them, lot's going on, job is already pretty busy.

For me at the college level they should be calling this. At the 18gold competitive, they should be calling it. As you get younger or less competitive, it can get called less.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:53 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:Splitting decisions like this is tough. It can also lead to pretty big arguments. Think of scenarios where the game is on the line.

Like bases loaded tie game home team up, 2 outs. Plate umpire correctly rules ball 4, batter walks. Winning run should walk in, game over. 1b says she stepped on the plate, batter is out, next inning. That happens, it is going to get super strange very fast.

Same as plate ump calling foul ball and field ump calling fair.

I actually think plate umps can see this better than discussed here. It tends to be a convenient no call. Cannot blame them, lot's going on, job is already pretty busy.

For me at the college level they should be calling this. At the 18gold competitive, they should be calling it. As you get younger or less competitive, it can get called less.

HP umpire is watching the location of the pitch, not the batter's feet. Much tougher can than the base umpire who can concentrate solely on batter position at contact. its not a split call, you would make it the responsibility of the 1B umpire solely.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Sam wrote:How about the 1B umpire, then, since they wouldn't move to 2B with a runner on 1B. After any runner takes their lead at the point the pitch is released, that umpire can the focus nearly solely on the slapper's position in or out of the box and they have the angle to make the call. The HP ump has to be prepared to call the pitch and can have their view of the slapper's body position blocked by the catcher and the slapper.

I think it's an easier call for a corner umpire. Just my opinion......it never gets called anyway.

OBTW: the situation that happens more often and isn't called is the LH batters who bunt while they are stepping on HP. The umpire gets blocked by the catcher on that one quite a bit also.

I don't disagree that it happens, but I guarantee you, an umpire from 70+ feet away is not going to be able to see the exact, AND IT MUST BE EXACT as it is not a guessing game, position of the batter's foot on the ground at the moment of contact even if they could turn their head from the pitcher and runners to a completely different angle and distance and come into focus in something that is happening in approx. .5 seconds.

And remember, if any part of the shoe, even the edge of a heel, is touching the line, the foot is considered NOT outside of the box.

Even though it isn't called as often as you and I and just about everyone else believe it happens, the one strong point is that when it is called, the odds are pretty good, the batter was out of the box.
MTR

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner