Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Is it legal to play all players in the IF?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Baller » Sun May 19, 2013 9:56 pm

We were playing in a 12u friendly, and a team put their entire team in the infield against one of our slappers. Is this legal? I was under the impression the outfield had to be at least behind the base line. I asked the umpire, and he said he'd watch it, but he didn't do anything. Couldn't find anything in the rule book. Anybody?
Baller

by jonriv » Mon May 20, 2013 3:55 am

DonnieS wrote:
Baller wrote:We were playing in a 12u friendly, and a team put their entire team in the infield against one of our slappers. Is this legal? I was under the impression the outfield had to be at least behind the base line. I asked the umpire, and he said he'd watch it, but he didn't do anything. Couldn't find anything in the rule book. Anybody?

The pitcher must be in the circle, the catcher must be behind the plate, and that's it - the other 7 can be standing on 1st base.

I believe there is such a rule in PONY- was at a rec all-star tourney back in 10u in which the ump said OF had to be outside the IF(tourney and inter-town league used PONY rules) Only time I ever heard of that or saw the situaion come up
jonriv

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon May 20, 2013 5:14 am

What rule set ?

ASA, NSA , NFHS ... Legal - as long as the pitcher is in the circle and the catcher is within the limits of the catchers box at the time of the pitch ... FYI; One of my slap defenses is very close to what you describe.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Mon May 20, 2013 5:21 am

Baller wrote:We were playing in a 12u friendly, and a team put their entire team in the infield against one of our slappers. Is this legal? I was under the impression the outfield had to be at least behind the base line. I asked the umpire, and he said he'd watch it, but he didn't do anything. Couldn't find anything in the rule book. Anybody?

Other than the catcher, the only geographical restrictions on the other players is that they be completely within fair territory at the time of the pitch.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon May 20, 2013 6:12 am

MTR wrote:

Other than the catcher, the only geographical restrictions on the other players is that they be completely within fair territory at the time of the pitch.

... maybe for the King And His Court ... Otherwise, prior to starting the delivery, the pitcher needs to be in contact with the pitchers plate.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by GoKorea » Mon May 20, 2013 6:52 am

I have done U12 leagues where it is put in the league rules about placement of fielders and that there had to be 3 outfields in the outfield. Other wise it is as already mentioned above.
GoKorea

by Luther » Mon May 20, 2013 9:07 am

Yesterday we were playing a game and we were up by 1 and the time was getting ready to end with a runner on 2nd.

The girl at the plate was a lefty and our coach saw that the girl was having a hard time coming around on the ball. He called a time out and move the right fielder next to the short stop so there were no gaps on the left side of the field. The girl ended up grounding out to short and we won the game.
Luther

by Gone in 2.6 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:13 am

I personally wouldn't let a young player slap until they can penalize teams for these gimmick defensive alignments.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by Crabby_Bob » Mon May 20, 2013 9:27 am

Fielders, other than the catcher and pitcher, can be stationed anywhere in fair territory so long as they are not in the batter's line of vision, with deliberate unsportsmanlike intent, or act in a manner to distract the batter.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon May 20, 2013 7:16 pm

Gone in 2.6 wrote:I personally wouldn't let a young player slap until they can penalize teams for these gimmick defensive alignments.

10 or 15 yards ?
GIMNEPIWO

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner