Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Hit By Pitch and the college game

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by PDad » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:29 pm

UmpSteve wrote:I am on a road trip, ASA, so no NCAA rulebook handy to cite rule numbers.
Yes, NCAA treats a pitch that is prevented from reaching the plate as a no pitch, you cannot acll a strike because you judge it would have been one. But that has no bearing the play being discussed, where the ball DID enter the strike zone, then hit the batter deeper in the box.

Here is the NCAA rule. Written differently than ASA 7-4-M, but interpreted and applied the same?

11.16.3.4 The batter is hit by a pitch out of the front of the batter’s box, assuming she did not swing or attempt to bunt.
EFFECT—“No Pitch.”
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fredegar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:16 pm

The point is that nearly all rulesets have a notion of a dead-ball strike, if the ball hits the batter while the ball is in the strike zone. Narcosis was asking about that, so I offered the ASA code.
Fredegar

by Anti-Clone » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:18 am

Fredegar wrote:The point is that nearly all rulesets have a notion of a dead-ball strike, if the ball hits the batter while the ball is in the strike zone. Narcosis was asking about that, so I offered the ASA code.

A strike is a strike is a strike. A strike, by any other name, is just as sweet.
Anti-Clone

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:14 am

Wait ... how wide is the ball?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner