Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Hit By Pitch and the college game

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by jonriv » Mon May 27, 2013 11:42 am

I totally agree with AI. The strike zone has been shifted. What was not too bad of idea has morphed well beyond its intent
jonriv

by Comp » Tue May 28, 2013 7:21 am

The rule change didnt stop any arguments, if anything it made the coaches argue even more if you dont give the batter the base.
Comp

by jonriv » Tue May 28, 2013 7:30 am

Comp wrote:The rule change didnt stop any arguments, if anything it made the coaches argue even more if you dont give the batter the base.

I have not seen then "Not" give the base since the new rule was introduced- rarely if ever even saw it not happen even before the new rule when there was more of a decision to be made. Generally speaking- if a batter gets hit-they get a base(despite what the rules were or even what they are now) unless they were obviously in the strike zone or blatently out of the box that even an umpire would notice it.

It is a broader thing- when was the last time you saw a MLB player not be rewarded a base- by rule they are required to avoid
jonriv

by teamdoc » Tue May 28, 2013 11:31 am

UAB v Florida: top of 7 UAB takes one on the thigh takes off for first, umpire called her back but called a ball on the batter... bottom 7 two florida batters are hit both in approximately the same area of the box only difference is UAB batter turned into the pitch with her thigh the florida players just took it.
teamdoc

by jonriv » Tue May 28, 2013 11:37 am

teamdoc wrote:UAB v Florida: top of 7 UAB takes one on the thigh takes off for first, umpire called her back but called a ball on the batter... bottom 7 two florida batters are hit both in approximately the same area of the box only difference is UAB batter turned into the pitch with her thigh the florida players just took it.

If they are in the box and teh ball hits them while tehya re in the box -they do not have to move?
jonriv

by ajaywill » Tue May 28, 2013 12:33 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:

...Time for blue leadership to grow a pair, realize they made a mistake. If I were working the plate I would realize how management has made my life difficult and a a bit goofy.

In the NCAA world, the coaches control the rules. The umpires have one seat on the rules committee, but my personal opinion is that is for appearance only.

If you want to b*tch about the rule...direct it toward the group that has the most influence...the coaches.
ajaywill

by Bretman » Tue May 28, 2013 1:05 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:How long before umpires wake up and realize that "Must attempt to avoid" gave them a ton of latitude to make the right call.

I'm puzzled by your comment that umpires need to "wake up to this". We're already aware of the rule and it's implications. There's nothing to wake up about. You are preaching to the choir.

Umpires didn't have anything to do with this rule change and we don't have anything to do with rescinding it. With all the umpires I've talked to about this, almost to a man they were content with the old rule and content with letting their own judgment be their guide. It was the college coaches that pushed this through, with the aim of taking umpire judgment out of the equation because they were whining that the umpire's judgment was either awarding bases that shouldn't be or not awarding them when they should.

The college softball coaches weren't the pioneers on this one. Several years before the rule was adopted in NCAA softball, it was introduced in NCAA baseball- where the coaches might be an even whinier bunch!
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by AlwaysImprove » Tue May 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Bretman wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:How long before umpires wake up and realize that "Must attempt to avoid" gave them a ton of latitude to make the right call.

I'm puzzled by your comment that umpires need to "wake up to this". We're already aware of the rule and it's implications. There's nothing to wake up about. You are preaching to the choir.

Umpires didn't have anything to do with this rule change and we don't have anything to do with rescinding it. With all the umpires I've talked to about this, almost to a man they were content with the old rule and content with letting their own judgment be their guide. It was the college coaches that pushed this through, with the aim of taking umpire judgment out of the equation because they were whining that the umpire's judgment was either awarding bases that shouldn't be or not awarding them when they should.

The college softball coaches weren't the pioneers on this one. Several years before the rule was adopted in NCAA softball, it was introduced in NCAA baseball- where the coaches might be an even whinier bunch!

You are correct. Coaches are at fault for the ruie change. Either way, the game is now played sideways and the arguments have increased. I take back any deriding of umpires, in this instance.

teamdoc, yes I was referring exactly to the UAB v Florida scenario. UAB got screwed on it. They all look the same.

More generally, I just have to laugh at all the padding batters are wearing and the constant diving to the ball, while yet trying to appear steady. It is comical.

If you are a blue, a fan or a coach you can provide proposed rule changes here:
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/playing+rules+administration/playing+rules+online+proposal+form
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Anti-Clone » Thu May 30, 2013 6:25 am

The BATTER'S box belongs to the...wait for it...BATTER.

Pitches belong over or near the plate. Don't want to pitch there? Fine. But there are rules to handle that.

Anyone capable of doing math can conclude that for the ball to be ENTIRELY within the batter's box, it has to be thrown 10 inches off the plate. Only a fool would argue that by throwing a pitch more than 10 inches from the strike zone + hitting the batter = taking the inside corner away. I don't know how you define "corner" but if you miss a 17 inch plate by 10 or more inches, you can't cry about a batter getting 1st base.
Anti-Clone

by Fredegar » Thu May 30, 2013 7:00 am

Anti-Clone wrote:The BATTER'S box belongs to the...wait for it...BATTER.

Pitches belong over or near the plate. Don't want to pitch there? Fine. But there are rules to handle that.

Anyone capable of doing math can conclude that for the ball to be ENTIRELY within the batter's box, it has to be thrown 10 inches off the plate. Only a fool would argue that by throwing a pitch more than 10 inches from the strike zone + hitting the batter = taking the inside corner away. I don't know how you define "corner" but if you miss a 17 inch plate by 10 or more inches, you can't cry about a batter getting 1st base.

I don't think this post is talking about balls pitched entirely within the batters box. The focus is on hitters crowding the plate, with their padded up elbows and knees hanging into the 6 inch area between the batters box line and the inside part of the plate. Then, those same players further lean into an inside pitch. Pitches over the "black" are hitting batters who didn't move from the "sanctuary" of their box.
Fredegar

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner