Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Catcher Hits Batter

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Rootingforsis » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:40 pm

Situation: R1 on second base. Batter swings and misses pitch (there was no foul tip). Batter remains in box, resets, and turns to take sign from the third-base coach.

Catcher looks over at her coach to hear instructions from her coach. Catcher turns and goes to throw ball back to pitcher, but hits the batter's bat which is resting on batter's shoulder. Ball richochets out to 2nd base.

R1 advances to third base. What is the call?
Rootingforsis

by Coach11 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Live ball......runners advance at their own risk.
Coach11

by MTR » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:47 pm

Rootingforsis wrote:Situation: R1 on second base. Batter swings and misses pitch (there was no foul tip). Batter remains in box, resets, and turns to take sign from the third-base coach.

Catcher looks over at her coach to hear instructions from her coach. Catcher turns and goes to throw ball back to pitcher, but hits the batter's bat which is resting on batter's shoulder. Ball richochets out to 2nd base.

Speaking ASA

Dead ball, R1 goes back assuming she wasn't stealing on the play. ASA 7.6.S.Exception
MTR

by Rootingforsis » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:12 pm

This was a high school game under high school federation rules. Anyone know where you can get a copy of the high school rules online?
Rootingforsis

by artomatic » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:35 pm

MTR wrote:
Rootingforsis wrote:Situation: R1 on second base. Batter swings and misses pitch (there was no foul tip). Batter remains in box, resets, and turns to take sign from the third-base coach.

Speaking ASA

Dead ball, R1 goes back assuming she wasn't stealing on the play. ASA 7.6.S.Exception

similar play happened to us, but throw was pickoff to 3rd and went off batter's bat. ump said interference on batter, batter out. because the throw hit equipment (bat), and batter made no attempt to get out of the way, even though she was unaware catcher was throwing. ump said if throw had hit batter in helmet, or other body area, it would have been a live ball...he also said it is a new rule, or a change of an existing rule...
was this correct?
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Bretman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:18 pm

There were some changes in the wording to the rules covering batter interference a couple of years ago, but they didn't have anything to do with the throw specifically hitting the bat, the batter's body, her helmet or other equipment.

On a throw by F2 against a stealing runner, immediately following the pitch, if the batter is within the batter's box and doing nothing to "actively hinder" the throw (ie: not moving herself or her bat into the catcher's path or throwing lane) then it is not interference. Following a pitch, the batter is right where the rules require her to be- in the batter's box. As long as she remains there and does not make a movement that disrupts the play, she is not required to move out of the catcher's way.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Coach11 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Spazsdad wrote: Since many don't have a rulebook here is the wording:

If no play is being made and the batter accidentally makes contact with the catcher's return throw to the pitcher, the ball is dead and any advancement of runner(s) shall be nullified.

I stand corrected.
Coach11

by Iluvblue » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:58 am

This rule is often mangled by the blue. When a pick play is ran and the catcher immediately pops out and makes a throw to third, the batter has no clue what is happening, and if she gets hit, then it is nothing. It is real simple for an umpire. Do you think the batter hindered the catchers attempted throw intentionally. If yes, she is out, dead ball. if not, live ball.

So many times have I had a blue tell me the batter has to be aware and make an attempt. Completely stupid. if that was the case, id just have my catcher hit the batter in the head every time someone steals. Id get a dead ball and runner would return to second.

thanks blue, you just gave me a way out on almost every steal attempt. Just drill the batter and make it look good.
Iluvblue

by Coach11 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:14 pm

Iluvblue wrote:if that was the case, id just have my catcher hit the batter in the head every time someone steals. Id get a dead ball and runner would return to second.

thanks blue, you just gave me a way out on almost every steal attempt. Just drill the batter and make it look good.

Had this called on us last season. R1 on 1B, attempting to steal second. Catcher pops up and attempts throw to second, hitting batter in back of helmet. Blue calls dead ball and sends my runner back to first.

I asked if he would give us the same call if my catcher started nailing the batter with every attempt to throw their runners out.

He told me "not to be ridiculous".

OK blue.....I'M being ridiculous.
Coach11

by Sam » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:13 pm

Coach11 wrote:
Iluvblue wrote:if that was the case, id just have my catcher hit the batter in the head every time someone steals. Id get a dead ball and runner would return to second.

Had this called on us last season. R1 on 1B, attempting to steal second. Catcher pops up and attempts throw to second, hitting batter in back of helmet. Blue calls dead ball and sends my runner back to first.

I asked if he would give us the same call if my catcher started nailing the batter with every attempt to throw their runners out.

He told me "not to be ridiculous".

OK blue.....I'M being ridiculous.

How did your batter get hit in the head on a throw to 2B? Was her head outside the batters box...over the plate?
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner