Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Foreign Object coming into field of play during live ball? C

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by staciscot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:39 am

During ASA State Championship play, bases loaded and batter hits line drive to fence between RF & CF. All runners score and batter ends on 2B. After 2 runners scored, and 3rd baserunner was rounding 3rd a foul ball from another field fell into our field in foul territory next to 3B dugout near batters box. Our live ball, was not yet thrown in from outfield. Umpire yells "dead ball", my runners kept running and finished play. No one at fields knows when the ball actually fell in as no one saw it because they were looking at the ball in outfield. Homeplate umpire really didn't know when it came in either, but that is when he saw the ball. Umpire ruled, that only 1 run scored, and 2 original base runners back and the batter only got a single. I officially protest at that moment. They call UIC and he only talks to the umpire, not to the coaches, or players on the field, and he rules that it stands with only 1 base being granted to batter. We lose the game by 1 run. I have searched rule book upside down and don't find anything that addresses if anything comes into the actual field (foul or fair) during a live ball i.e. foul ball, dead bird dropping from sky, piece of trash, sky diver, etc. Does anyone know if even a Dead ball should have been called and how on earth they could have given a single to a ball clearly hit to the fence. There was another head UIC for the tournament at another park and he seemed like they got it wrong, but in the end that stuck with their original ruling. They are now claiming that they believe the ball came in to play when the original batter had not yet reached first that is why they gave a single, however I guarantee you all of my baserunners (3 of them) would have noticed the big man in blue yelling dead ball in front of the plate when they were touching home if that was the actual scenario.
staciscot

by UmpSteve » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:07 am

Long story shortened.

Read 10.1, the part where the plate umpire has the authority to make decisions on any situation not specifically covered.

In your monologue, an umpire called dead ball during a live play, apparently believing the second ball imposed a threat or safety issue to the players on the field. They then applied the standard indicated under 10.4-G, awarding bases when play is suspended during a live play. Nothing else you wrote really means anything; dead ball, play is stopped, umpires decide where to place runners.

That is why your protest got no-where; your judgment, nor the UIC's, nor anyone else has the authority to supercede what the plate umpire determined on the field. You don't have to agree, you don't have to like the decision, or the judgment to stop play. But it happened, and the result is what they decide it is.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by staciscot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:18 am

I'm actually with you on all of that, but 10.4 G says "award any based that would have been reached" and when he called "Dead ball" 2 runners had already scored and 3rd runner had already rounded 3rd coming towards him. So how could it be put back with only 1 runner scoring?
staciscot

by UmpSteve » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:27 pm

staciscot wrote:They are now claiming that they believe the ball came in to play when the original batter had not yet reached first that is why they gave a single, however .....

That is their apparent explanation; if they called the dead ball that early, they can justify allowing just single base advances. Again, not being there, no can state that it is fair, right, the best, or unfair, wrong, and the worst. Their call, they made it. It is an area that truly cannot be protested or adjusted, the rule makes it the plate umpire's final word.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:14 pm

UmpSteve wrote:
staciscot wrote:They are now claiming that they believe the ball came in to play when the original batter had not yet reached first that is why they gave a single, however .....

That is their apparent explanation; if they called the dead ball that early, they can justify allowing just single base advances. Again, not being there, no can state that it is fair, right, the best, or unfair, wrong, and the worst. Their call, they made it. It is an area that truly cannot be protested or adjusted, the rule makes it the plate umpire's final word.

IF the umpire based their placement of the runners on where they were when dead ball was called and they agree the runners would have advanced further if play wasn't stopped, wouldn't that misapplication of 10.4G be grounds for a successful protest?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:43 pm

PDad wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:

IF the umpire based their placement of the runners on where they were when dead ball was called and they agree the runners would have advanced further if play wasn't stopped, wouldn't that misapplication of 10.4G be grounds for a successful protest?

Umpires are usually smart enough to not start arguments with themselves.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:53 am

staciscot wrote:During ASA State Championship play, bases loaded and batter hits line drive to fence between RF & CF. All runners score and batter ends on 2B. After 2 runners scored, and 3rd baserunner was rounding 3rd a foul ball from another field fell into our field in foul territory next to 3B dugout near batters box. Our live ball, was not yet thrown in from outfield. Umpire yells "dead ball", my runners kept running and finished play. No one at fields knows when the ball actually fell in as no one saw it because they were looking at the ball in outfield. Homeplate umpire really didn't know when it came in either, but that is when he saw the ball. Umpire ruled, that only 1 run scored, and 2 original base runners back and the batter only got a single. I officially protest at that moment. They call UIC and he only talks to the umpire, not to the coaches, or players on the field, and he rules that it stands with only 1 base being granted to batter. We lose the game by 1 run. I have searched rule book upside down and don't find anything that addresses if anything comes into the actual field (foul or fair) during a live ball i.e. foul ball, dead bird dropping from sky, piece of trash, sky diver, etc. Does anyone know if even a Dead ball should have been called and how on earth they could have given a single to a ball clearly hit to the fence. There was another head UIC for the tournament at another park and he seemed like they got it wrong, but in the end that stuck with their original ruling. They are now claiming that they believe the ball came in to play when the original batter had not yet reached first that is why they gave a single, however I guarantee you all of my baserunners (3 of them) would have noticed the big man in blue yelling dead ball in front of the plate when they were touching home if that was the actual scenario.

No call to be made. Play never should have been killed. Ball coming in from other field during a play falls under the "shit happens" category.

However, once the umpire makes this mistake, the umpire should have placed the runners where s/he sees as appropriated sans the errant call. That includes an allowance for the defense relaxing when the call is heard.

You definitely do NOT move runners back from a base achieved since obviously, the call had zero affect on any advance to that point.
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner