Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

How many bases on ball going out of play

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by 8u/10udad » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:53 am

Bases loaded, catcher throws to third, all runners are going back to bases. Ball bounces off player and goes out of play. How many bases do each player get. I am thinking on one. 3rd base gets home, 2nd gets 3rd and 1st gets second. Ump at game, gave 3rd base home, 2nd base home and 1st base went to 3rd.
8u/10udad

by GoKorea » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:07 am

8u/10udad wrote:Bases loaded, catcher throws to third, all runners are going back to bases. Ball bounces off player and goes out of play. How many bases do each player get. I am thinking on one. 3rd base gets home, 2nd gets 3rd and 1st gets second. Ump at game, gave 3rd base home, 2nd base home and 1st base went to 3rd.

Umpire had the correct call. Each runner gets two bases from the base the were on when the throw was taken. It is one base on a pitched ball.
GoKorea

by MTR » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:30 pm

8u/10udad wrote:Bases loaded, catcher throws to third, all runners are going back to bases. Ball bounces off player and goes out of play. How many bases do each player get. I am thinking on one. 3rd base gets home, 2nd gets 3rd and 1st gets second. Ump at game, gave 3rd base home, 2nd base home and 1st base went to 3rd.

Always two bases from the runner's location at the time of the release of the throw.
MTR

by Anti-Clone » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:37 pm

MTR wrote:

Always two bases from the runner's location at the time of the release of the throw.

Always on that particular play. Other times it could be 1 base or from the time the ball goes out of play.
Anti-Clone

by MTR » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Anti-Clone wrote:
MTR wrote:

Always on that particular play. Other times it could be 1 base or from the time the ball goes out of play.

On what throw would that be?
MTR

by Anti-Clone » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:25 pm

When a thrown ball is dislodged from the players glove as a result of the runner sliding in, the runners are awarded one base from the time the ball enters dead ball territory.
Anti-Clone

by Comp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:39 pm

Then it is no longer a thrown ball.
Comp

by Anti-Clone » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Comp wrote:Then it is no longer a thrown ball.

I pointed it out so that no one was mislead into thinking that on any ball that gets thrown, it is always 2 bases. People read the posts for information. They may not all distinguish things as well as umpires, who tend to pay special attention to terminology. I didn't mean to insult you. I whole heartedly apologize if I upset you or you thought I was saying you were wrong.
Anti-Clone

by Nicelag » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:01 am

Just clarification on this would the exception be in the 8U rec ball division? Most 8U divisions have a closed home plate. in this instance doesn't that make the ball out of play rule null and void when the throw is from the catcher to the third baseman?

I know if any player other than the catcher throws to third and it the ball goes out of play the rule would be in effect.

Mike
Nicelag

by Comp » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:20 am

Leagues may make up their own rules, but there is no difference in any other rule set on which defensive player may have thrown the ball.
Comp

Return to The Umpire Corner