Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

U Trip rule differneces ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by PDad » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:49 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:OKay ... ASA FED ... The Flex bats for the DP ...The DP has left the game and the lineup is reduced to 9 ... The FLEX now has to bat and play defense

UTrip ... The Flex bats for the DP ... RULE 4-4-G
" If the Flex player is not playing defense, the non batting FLEX position is eliminated and the FLEX player is out of the game unless the FLEX player is playing offensive in the DP's posittion, then the FLEX player may remain in the game and not play defense."

The former-Flex player becomes a regular member of the lineup. The only difference is UTrip has APs that can now play defense for them because they are no longer the Flex. The former-Flex player remains in the game while an AP plays defense for them.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:16 am

Comp wrote:Then they have changed it since last year. I worked a few games last year, paid my registration fee, went to their clinic, never got a rule book, had to download it myself and the tournament I worked was a total cluster and never went back.

Yes ... It is highlighted in red as an editorial change ... AS for the 'cluster' I will let you know after this weekend coming up ... NSA is the stronger presence in our area ( Virginia ) and that is what we've been playing for the last several years ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by jonriv » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:28 am

G- you still coach u23 or have you switched back to the younger ones?
jonriv

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:32 am

Comp wrote:As far as I know the actual dp/flex rule is exactly the same as asa they just allow additional batters. There are a few other minor differences, the lookback rule follows fed where only possession of the ball is required by the pitcher in the circle. Unless they changed it this year they also make no allowance for the defense to be pulled off the white base to the colored base. Another that I can think of right off is on a pop fly that is catchable with normal effort asa you get 2 outs if a runner commits interference, in Utrip its just 1.

There was a change this year ...8-19-B-2 exception 3
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:34 am

jonriv wrote:G- you still coach u23 or have you switched back to the younger ones?

Heading the other way ... U Trip World Series ( whatever that means :roll: :lol: ) this weekend, Womans Division ... We play 23U in NSA, but locally at least, NSA has removed the ceiling and allows players over 23 ... U Trip only has Womans Division and ASA has both, but there isn't much ASA around here ... Thought about getting a younger team together, but after the HS season I need a break ...
Last edited by GIMNEPIWO on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIMNEPIWO

by jonriv » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:43 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
jonriv wrote:G- you still coach u23 or have you switched back to the younger ones?

Heading the other way ... U Trip World Series ( whatever that means :roll: :lol: ) this weekend, Womans Division ...

Women's division.... Didn't you have a tough enough time handling U23(or should I say they handled you?)
jonriv

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:51 am

jonriv wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Heading the other way ... U Trip World Series ( whatever that means :roll: :lol: ) this weekend, Womans Division ...

Women's division.... Didn't you have a tough enough time handling U23(or should I say they handled you?)

.. We play 23U in NSA, but locally at least, NSA has removed the ceiling and allows players over 23 ... U Trip only has Womans Division and ASA has both, but there isn't much ASA around here ... Thought about getting a younger team together, but after the HS season I need a break ...
GIMNEPIWO

by Anti-Clone » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:47 am

Based on what I put together for a tournament in 2012:

Chin straps are optional, not mandatory.

Double first base is optional, not mandatory.

Obstruction may be physical or verbal.

A fielder is still making an initial play on the ball if she fails to gain control initially and is still within a step and a reach (in any direction) of the ball.

On a bunt attempt, the batter must pull the bat back in order to not be charged with a strike.

Metal cleats are permitted 15u +

Wearing earrings even if covered with tape is specifically addressed an is illegal.

Run rules are 12, 10 & 8 after 3, 4 & 5.
Anti-Clone

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Anti-Clone wrote:Based on what I put together for a tournament in 2012:

Chin straps are optional, not mandatory.

Double first base is optional, not mandatory.

Obstruction may be physical or verbal.

A fielder is still making an initial play on the ball if she fails to gain control initially and is still within a step and a reach (in any direction) of the ball.

On a bunt attempt, the batter must pull the bat back in order to not be charged with a strike.

Metal cleats are permitted 15u +

Wearing earrings even if covered with tape is specifically addressed an is illegal.

Run rules are 12, 10 & 8 after 3, 4 & 5.

Interesting ... I better keep reading ... What I saw said nothing about a 'step and reach', terminology I was looking for ...

We are 23U and the jewlery rule does not apply to us, but thanks ...

Chin straps and masks are recomended, but not required at 23U ... Below 23U masks are mandatory

* EDIT - I said 23U, I meant ' womens division '
GIMNEPIWO

by Anti-Clone » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:31 pm

INITIAL PLAY. A fielder is considered to be making an initial play on a fair batted
ball when he has a reasonable chance to gain control of a ground ball that no
other fielder (except the pitcher) has touched or a reasonable chance to catch
the ball in flight after it touches another fielder. The fielder is still considered
to be making an initial play if he fails to gain control of the batted ground ball
and is within a step and a reach (in any direction) of the spot of the initial
play.

Under "definitions" and applicable to interference/obstruction.
Anti-Clone

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner