Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Scorekeeping Question on Sacrifice Bunt or Error on Play

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by sportsfan31 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:31 am

I am a scorekeeper for my daughers team. My question is 2-fold...

Runner on 1st, batter is given bunt sign (for a sacrifice bunt). She lays down a nice bunt, catcher overthrows to 1st basemen, and runner is safe on first. Original runner that was on first advances safely to 2nd. Because of overthrow to 1st baseman, the batter ends up advancing to 2nd and then to 3rd (on the throw). Original runner on first scores.

How is play recorded?

2nd part of question: If coach intends for batter to make a sacrifice bunt but batter advances safely to 1st due to error, how is this recorded?

Thank you!
sportsfan31

by jonriv » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:35 am

Batter gets a sac and the extra base(s) on the error
jonriv

by PDad » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:09 pm

sportsfan31 wrote:I am a scorekeeper for my daughers team. My question is 2-fold...

Runner on 1st, batter is given bunt sign (for a sacrifice bunt). She lays down a nice bunt, catcher overthrows to 1st basemen, and runner is safe on first. Original runner that was on first advances safely to 2nd. Because of overthrow to 1st baseman, the batter ends up advancing to 2nd and then to 3rd (on the throw). Original runner on first scores.

How is play recorded?

Depends on whether throw was in time to retire B-R. If not, it is a hit. If yes, At Bat is recorded as a sac and they reached 1B on E2. Regardless, 2B and 3B on E2. R1 reached 2B on sac and other bases on E2.

2nd part of question: If coach intends for batter to make a sacrifice bunt but batter advances safely to 1st due to error, how is this recorded?

What is different? If batter bunted, same answer as 1st scenario. If not a bunt, it's just reached on error.

If batter intends to sac and beats throw to 1B (no error), it's a hit.

If defense fails to retire runner because of an error, the runner reaches 2B because of error and batter gets FC (no sac).

If defense tries to get runner and runner beats it out (no error), it all depends on whether defense could have retired batter-runner at 1B. If yes, it is a sac and batter reaches 1B on FC. If not, it is a hit.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner