Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

ITB

Rule question? Get it answered here.

ITB

by Diamonds2011 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:26 pm

I was in an ITB at PGF Qualifier and requested a visit to the mound; I thought I could get an extra visit in ITB.

The umpire declined my request. If this happens again, can I call a protest and/or call timeout and request for the UIC, who at the time was umpiring a game.

How can the UIC rule on these types of issues when he's working? At a PGF event?
Diamonds2011

by Comp » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Diamonds2011 wrote:I was in an ITB at PGF Qualifier and requested a visit to the mound; I thought I could get an extra visit in ITB.

The umpire declined my request. If this happens again, can I call a protest and/or call timeout and request for the UIC, who at the time was umpiring a game.

How can the UIC rule on these types of issues when he's working? At a PGF event?

Protest the game immediately. It has to be ruled on prior to continuing play or you lose the right to protest. It is not your problem the UIC was working on another field, they will have to figure out how to rule on the protest once you have declared it.
Comp

by MTR » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:31 am

Diamonds2011 wrote:I was in an ITB at PGF Qualifier and requested a visit to the mound; I thought I could get an extra visit in ITB.

Why did the umpire deny your visit?
MTR

by PDad » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:51 am

Which inning was it and did you already have a charged conference that inning? Did they refuse to allow a conference or did they just say you'd have to change pitchers?

You only get one charged conference per inning after 7 innings. The number of charged conferences permitted is not cumulative (i.e. use them or lose them).
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Does the conference per inning start after the 7th inning? Maybe the game was still in the 5th or 6th inning.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:Does the conference per inning start after the 7th inning? Maybe the game was still in the 5th or 6th inning.

I was in an ITB at PGF Qualifier

My bad. I wasn't aware about the no time limits in PGF qualifiers. Nevermind :oops:
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:14 pm

eclipse09 wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:Does the conference per inning start after the 7th inning? Maybe the game was still in the 5th or 6th inning.

I was in an ITB at PGF Qualifier

My bad. I wasn't aware about the no time limits in PGF qualifiers. Nevermind :oops:

No need to apologize - there are time limits at some PGF qualifiers. We had a game at the SoCal qualifier that was stopped after 6 innings because of it. That's why I asked what inning it was...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ajaywill » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:10 pm

Regardless of the inning or if you were in an ITB inning, the umpire should not have denied your request for a conference. If it is a conference that would be in excess of your three allowed in a game or one allowed in each extra inning, the umpire should inform you that if you choose to take the conference, you will need to replace the pitcher. It's then up to you as to whether or not to take the conference.
ajaywill

by Diamonds2011 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:07 pm

Comp wrote:

Protest the game immediately. It has to be ruled on prior to continuing play or you lose the right to protest. It is not your problem the UIC was working on another field, they will have to figure out how to rule on the protest once you have declared it.

This was my gut feeling but I didn't. Next time I will protest. If there ever is one. I feel it is pretty basic knowledge for an umpire to know this rule. It happens quite frequently in tournaments. PGF umps are expected to be the best there is. Lesson learned, thanks everyone for your input.
Diamonds2011

by Sparky Guy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:13 am

PGF umps are expected to be the best there is. Lesson learned, thanks everyone for your input.

Unfortunately, that is the case sometimes. The quality of the umpires is dependent upon the Assignor the TD uses. In the last two PGF events I was entered in the umpiring was spotty at best.
Sparky Guy

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner