Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Agressive play? Or agressive baserunning?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by umpinva » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:48 pm

Iluvblue wrote:You talk letter of the law, i talk reality on the field.
I have NEVER seen a home plate umpire call obstruction on a third baseman, or a 1st or 2nd baseman on an attempted pickoff of a runner returning to the base. NEVER< NEVER< NEVER.

Play 1. With R1 at second and R2 at first, F2 snap throws to F6 at second base. As the BU is calling R1 safe, F6 fires the ball to F3 attempting an out on R2. PU sees that F3 is blocking the bag without possession of the ball as R2 is tagged before getting back to first base. Due to the timing of the second putout attempt the BU does not see the obstruction. At the conclusion of play, the PU calls time, announces obstruction on F3 and is safe at first base. “reality on the field”

Play 2. Bases loaded and one out. F5 playing up for a possible bunt. Fly ball to F9 and is caught. R1 at third is blocked returning to third by F5 as F6 takes the throw to third from F9 before R1 gets back to the base.
At the conclusion of the play the PU calls time and announces the obstruction on F5 and declares R1 safe at third.

Iluvblue wrote:So i am sorry when you tell me any umpire can call it, the REALITY is that does not happen.

Actually it does.
umpinva

by Iluvblue » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:34 pm

I have NEVER seen a home plate umpire call obstruction on a third baseman, or a 1st or 2nd baseman on an attempted pickoff of a runner returning to the base. NEVER< NEVER< NEVER.

You can come up with any scenario possible where you can give an example.

I watch a lot of games, i coach a lot of games. Probably more than most people, and I go back to what is posted above. I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT. And in my example, i am talking about a pick play to a base and no other runners on base. Home blue aint going to go over his partner on that play.
That be like you waklin gout to tell him the runner was safe at first when he called her out. AINT GONNA HAPPEN!
Iluvblue

by MTR » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:11 pm

Iluvblue wrote:

I watch a lot of games, i coach a lot of games. Probably more than most people, and I go back to what is posted above. I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT.

Well, I've been umpiring for 42 years and I've seen it and called it.

And in my example, i am talking about a pick play to a base and no other runners on base. Home blue aint going to go over his partner on that play.

Can you clarify that? Just exactly what is the umpire doing to "go over his partner"?

That be like you waklin gout to tell him the runner was safe at first when he called her out. AINT GONNA HAPPEN!

You are right, not unless s/he asks.
MTR

by Coach11 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:12 pm

Iluvblue wrote:That be like you waklin gout to tell him the runner was safe at first when he called her out. AINT GONNA HAPPEN!

What if PU saw F3 drop ball?

You don't think he/she'd cal a pow-wow?

Same as if PU saw obstruction on the pick.....he/she may not make a call there and then over ruling FU.....but he/she'd likely call time and discuss it.
Coach11

by wadeintothem » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:04 pm

Because OBS is a Delayed dead ball with visible signal.. you cant really pow wow about it and then pull it out of your but and call it.

Any time I've called it I just call it. I saw it and my partner didnt and thats that. My arm is out because I have OBS. The contention that its stepping on toes to call a rule violation is inaccurate. I may talk with my partner, because we are a team, but its already called and I already signaled it.

This coach is speaking to his own experience that he has never seen it. I dont know what he has seen. I do know there is no basis to support his assertion in any umpire training anywhere. I've seen it and called it, MTR and umpinva as well, and I would think most umps that do their job have.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Iluvblue » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:11 pm

I'm the Umpire and what I say goes, there's a play at the plate well she's out by a nose, you can try as you might to argue my call, but it's my world when I say play ball."

I just read this wade.... i wonder if that was written by that dallas cop that kept that family from his dying mother? :D
Iluvblue

by wadeintothem » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:27 pm

Its a very cool song.
Dig on this bad boy

Its called the baseball song - but I call it the umpire song :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD369DS7 ... L&index=14
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Coach11 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:53 pm

wadeintothem wrote:Because OBS is a Delayed dead ball with visible signal.. you cant really pow wow about it and then pull it out of your but and call it.

Good point....not thinking like an ump with my description.

What I was trying to express, was that if there was something evident about a play to the PU, he/she wouldn't necessarily bite their tongue and ignore it to "save face" of the FU. Or at least, he/she shouldn't.
Last edited by Coach11 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coach11

by wadeintothem » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:34 pm

Ha!

The umpire in me has no problem with the pow wow.. pull a call out of my but.

Its you coaches who dont like it.

:lol:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Coach11 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:58 pm

:lol: True......very true. :lol:
Coach11

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner