Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Walk & ball out of play

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by ron2691 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:22 am

I saw this at PGF 16u Championship game. On ball 4, pitch hits catcher`s shin guard and goes over backstop. After discussion, batter was given 1st only, since wild pitch occured after ball 4, shouldn`t the batter been awarded 2nd on ball out of play?
ron2691

by MTR » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:49 am

ron2691 wrote:I saw this at PGF 16u Championship game. On ball 4, pitch hits catcher`s shin guard and goes over backstop. After discussion, batter was given 1st only, since wild pitch occured after ball 4, shouldn`t the batter been awarded 2nd on ball out of play?

Assuming this is based on NFHS rules, if on a fourth ball, the B/BR is only awarded 1st base. (8-4.3.c.PENALTY) page 64

Same for NCAA (9.11.Effect) page 96 & ASA (8.5.C) page 89
MTR

by UmpSteve » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:22 pm

ron2691 wrote:I saw this at PGF 16u Championship game. On ball 4, pitch hits catcher`s shin guard and goes over backstop. After discussion, batter was given 1st only, since wild pitch occured after ball 4, shouldn`t the batter been awarded 2nd on ball out of play?

Actually, the wild pitch occurred when the pitcher released the ball; you just didn't know it was wild until it failed to travel as expected.

Just as (with very few exceptions, all based on an intentional act) awards on thrown balls are based on the time of the throw, not what happens during or after the throw; and awards on batted balls are based on the time of the pitch, not what happens during or after the pitch. Dead ball awards do not piggyback on the result of play. The same with a pitched ball; one base from the time of the pitch (batter was in batter's box).
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fredegar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Yes. What they said.

Just to clear up any confusion, yes, normally "ball out of play" does result in 2 bases from the time of the throw. The exception is on a pitch. Any pitch that goes out of play results in 1 base from the time of the pitch -- and this 1-base award only applies to those runners already on base at the time of the pitch. It never affects the batter.
Fredegar

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:01 pm

Any merit in the fact that the pitch was perfectly fine, i.e. not a wild pitch. Let's assume that pitch was on a perfectly great trajectory until it hit that catchers gear. So more a Pass Ball than a Wild Pitch? I think from the rules standpoint they are treated the same, but just want to make sure for clarity sake.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:41 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:Any merit in the fact that the pitch was perfectly fine, i.e. not a wild pitch. Let's assume that pitch was on a perfectly great trajectory until it hit that catchers gear. So more a Pass Ball than a Wild Pitch? I think from the rules standpoint they are treated the same, but just want to make sure for clarity sake.

You are correct.

A pitched ball remains a pitched ball for this purpose until it is batted or caught/controlled. Since neither happened prior to entering dead ball territory, it is still a pitched ball.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Crabby_Bob » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:54 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:Any merit in the fact that the pitch was perfectly fine, i.e. not a wild pitch. Let's assume that pitch was on a perfectly great trajectory until it hit that catchers gear. So more a Pass Ball than a Wild Pitch? I think from the rules standpoint they are treated the same, but just want to make sure for clarity sake.

Passed ball but still a pitch. One base.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

Return to The Umpire Corner